+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to employer-specific WP from Canada on visitor visa

bluepaint04

Aug 21, 2018
Ontario
Hi Everyone!
I am currently in Canada with a visitor status, and planning to apply to a closed work permit from inside Canada (initial work permit, I didn't work or study here).
Is anybody else here going through the same process? Can you share your timeline?

Where can I find the full list of required documents? Or it will be available for me only after creating the IRCC profile?

Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Everyone!
I am currently in Canada with a visitor status, and planning to apply to a closed work permit from inside Canada (initial work permit, I didn't work or study here).
Is anybody else here going through the same process? Can you share your timeline?

Where can I find the full list of required documents? Or it will be available for me only after creating the IRCC profile?

Thanks!
With your LMIA, you apply for the permit. Read the instruction guide. Online processing is about 5 months. You can’t work until approved.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply.html

Last edited:
Reactions: bluepaint04

pixydust

Feb 16, 2022
Is closed work permit is intra company transfer? In that case it should be open work permit right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is closed work permit is intra company transfer? In that case it should be open work permit right?
No, an ICT is not an open work permit. It's a closed work permit (employer specific).

pixydust

Feb 16, 2022
No, an ICT is not an open work permit. It's a closed work permit (employer specific).
That's what I was saying. ICT means closed work permit. But the OP/thread starter saying applying for a closed work permit while on a visitor visa which is not possible as he is not associated with any company. So he needs to either file for open work permit through LMIA or as a dependent of spouse right?

Hope I am making sense. Sorry if my earlier post was confusing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's what I was saying. ICT means closed work permit. But the OP/thread starter saying applying for a closed work permit while on a visitor visa which is not possible as he is not associated with any company. So he needs to either file for open work permit through LMIA or as a dependent of spouse right?

Presumably the OP has a job offer from an employer in Canada along with an approved LMIA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yeah, well aware of it all. Is this timeline accurate?
How long LMIA takes in this case or hard to predict?
The LMIA is a separate process from the work permit application. Does your employer already have the LMIA approved or are you still waiting on that?

bluepaint04

Aug 21, 2018
Ontario

I am going to apply with an offer and LMIA.
I don't have dependents/husband so I can apply to a employer-specific WP only.

Last edited:

bluepaint04

Aug 21, 2018
Ontario
The LMIA is a separate process from the work permit application. Does your employer already have the LMIA approved or are you still waiting on that?
I understand it's a separate process.
I am currently waiting for a job offer, then the employer will work on LMIA.
Just want to understand the realistic timelines.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I understand it's a separate process.
I am currently waiting for a job offer, then the employer will work on LMIA.
Just want to understand the realistic timelines.
Once your employer completes the LMIA paper and files expect 2-3 months (generous est.) and then once you apply approximately 5 months. If you don't even have a job offer or LMIA then expect 8-12 months.

Assad khan

May 7, 2019
Hi,

How much time will take if job offer and LMIA is already available for close work permit? and what would be nest step? please answer if someone know.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

How much time will take if job offer and LMIA is already available for close work permit? and what would be nest step? please answer if someone know.
SInce this thread is about being in Canada while waiting for LMIA, then 4-5 months. You apply for a work permit.