+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application sent in Feb 2013, who already received the acknowledgment letter?

YYZguy416

Star Member
Apr 29, 2013
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on March 18,2013.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on March 18, 2013. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on May 3, 2013.

I haven't received an acknowledgement letter yet. I don't believe they mailed it on March 18th as they claim. However, I was thinking that they mailed the acknowledgement letter on May 3rd, when they started the processing. It has been 25 days since May 3rd, and still nothing in the mail. I am in Toronto by the way.

jaeco said:
Has everyone in this post already received the acknowledgment letter by mail?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
It's almost a month! Do they have a correct address on file?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
YYZguy416 said:
I received the acknowledgement letter in the mail today along with the study guide.
Good news! :)

YYZguy416

Star Member
Apr 29, 2013
Thanks. When CIC put the letter inside the envelope, the corner of the letter was folded, and it blocked my first name and importantly my apartment number. My apt number was handwritten on the envelope. I guess the postman showed it to the management office of my building and they searched my last name and wrote the apt number on the envelope. Luckily, it wasn't returned back to CIC.

Suin said:
Good news! :)

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
It seems most applications are moving to "In Process" status about two months after CIC says they received them. Previously, it was taking more than a year for the application to go to "In Process" status. CIC defines "In Process" status as meaning that your application has been sent to your local office. Is this still true? It doesn't seem right.

jaeco

Star Member
Feb 7, 2013
Hi YYZY416, good news for you. Can you share what information is on the acknowledgment letter for example file number or so? Or is it just a general letter saying your application has been received? Also what size is the envelope? letter size? I would like to check again if the mail has been lost. Thanks.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
It seems most applications are moving to "In Process" status about two months after CIC says they received them. Previously, it was taking more than a year for the application to go to "In Process" status. CIC defines "In Process" status as meaning that your application has been sent to your local office. Is this still true? It doesn't seem right.
Changes to processing from May 2012 means some of the tasks previously carried out by the local office are now done at Sidney primarily level one screening to determine if RQ should be issued. As such ecas now rightly considers this to be 'in process' and updates accordingly.

So going into process which before May 2012 indicated the file was almost/ had transferred to the local office now means nada. Call CIC in 6 months time and ask the agent where your file is.

YYZguy416

Star Member
Apr 29, 2013
The letter acknowledges that hey have received your application and has your name, address, and client id on it. The envelope is A4-sized. They also enclosed the study guide booklet inside.

jaeco said:
Hi YYZY416, good news for you. Can you share what information is on the acknowledgment letter for example file number or so? Or is it just a general letter saying your application has been received? Also what size is the envelope? letter size? I would like to check again if the mail has been lost. Thanks.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
How long does it take for them in Sidney to send the application to the local office for processing?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Msafiri said:
Changes to processing from May 2012 means some of the tasks previously carried out by the local office are now done at Sidney primarily level one screening to determine if RQ should be issued. As such ecas now rightly considers this to be 'in process' and updates accordingly.

So going into process which before May 2012 indicated the file was almost/ had transferred to the local office now means nada. Call CIC in 6 months time and ask the agent where your file is.
What is your source for this? Are you telling us the CIC website is giving us false information about what "In Process" status means? I guess that isn't too surprising. Are they going to update the explanatory key anytime soon?

So, if one applied in October 2011 and the file went to "In Process" status in December 2012, would this indicate it has passed Level One screening and is now at the local office?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Suin said:
How long does it take for them in Sidney to send the application to the local office for processing?
Previously, it was taking about 14 months. I don't know about after the recent changes.