+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

ppb12

Jan 18, 2012
MASOUD2011 said:
You are right! It's for PRiME 2012.

I just talked to the immigration department in Pearson Airport and they confirmed I won't need visa to renter Canada from US but were not sure about Hawaii.

I also checked CIC and it says: "Note: This visa may also be used for repeated entries into Canada from the USA or St. Pierre and Miquelon provided you do not enter any other country. Such entries must occur within the time validated for your stay in Canada." I browsed many websites and didn't find anything about Hawaii, seems it is still counted as US!

BTW, do you hold a valid visa?

Hi MASOUD2011,
Did you apply for Canadian visa or find any information to visit Honolulu without having valid Canadian visa? If you could let me know.
Question is, can any body travel Honolulu and return Canada with a valid study permit but no valid Canadian visa. If anybody else has an experience, please response.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
beauty00 said:
Hi, there:
You are absolutely right about the OHIP. I live in Waterloo, too. I assumed you may be also a PhD student in university of waterloo, same as my husband. His case is he had an international student award, which already reduced his tuition to domestic level, I saw a lot of international students here have this. He just obtained medical request under CEC category. In this case, does he still need to talk to registrar about domestic tuition? the differences may be just OHIP and UHIP. If I am right, the tax credits for paying international tuition is a big value and can be refunded in the future. so he don't need to do that.
I think that's probably the case. CEC no longer has the phrase 'positive determination of eligibility' anymore, thus, it is hard to prove approval-in-principle, even after you received a medical request. What complicated things is, even with the PER email, you still have to go extra length to prove your eligibility because people would just assume that approval-in-principle is in conjunction with medical request, and that the email from Nova Scotia just gives you file number and recommendation for processing (like it was before MI-2).

Regarding domestic tuition, it doesn't matter that much for UW students, I guess (since UW international students usually get their differential in fees waived in the form of international graduate student awards). I think maybe in total, local students get roughly 100 dollars more per month, of which roughly 70 dollars were from OHIP alone. So assuming that you will get positive feedback for OHIP, then I guess it won't matter that much whether you are under international or domestic tuition rates (maybe another 30 to 40 dollars difference).

beauty00

Sep 11, 2012
asbereth said:
I think that's probably the case. CEC no longer has the phrase 'positive determination of eligibility' anymore, thus, it is hard to prove approval-in-principle, even after you received a medical request. What complicated things is, even with the PER email, you still have to go extra length to prove your eligibility because people would just assume that approval-in-principle is in conjunction with medical request, and that the email from Nova Scotia just gives you file number and recommendation for processing (like it was before MI-2).

Regarding domestic tuition, it doesn't matter that much for UW students, I guess (since UW international students usually get their differential in fees waived in the form of international graduate student awards). I think maybe in total, local students get roughly 100 dollars more per month, of which roughly 70 dollars were from OHIP alone. So assuming that you will get positive feedback for OHIP, then I guess it won't matter that much whether you are under international or domestic tuition rates (maybe another 30 to 40 dollars difference).
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENTS. Looks like you are also a PhD student from UW, that's why so familiar with the situation.

TRT_Flynn

Star Member
Jun 7, 2012
Recently I saw some posts in other forums in which phd student applied CEC using TA/RA experience at the beginning of this year and already got the PPR......we should really go CEC. Phd fsw stream is gonna be forever....

moonbow2010

Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-05-2014
Med's Request
07-05-2014
Med's Done....
24-06-2014
TRT_Flynn said:
Recently I saw some posts in other forums in which phd student applied CEC using TA/RA experience at the beginning of this year and already got the PPR......we should really go CEC. Phd fsw stream is gonna be forever....
For those already got their masters in Canada, CEC is obviously a faster way according to the recent evidence.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
maytheflower said:
Can we apply both PhD and CEC?
Apparently yes.
Read here to see what went wrong to our colleague so you don't do the same:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cec-rejected-t117508.0.html

I have a friend that is sponsored by a company, and she would need to return to her country. I wonder if this could a valid way for her to apply as she is not eligible for the Phd Stream.

salam20

Jun 29, 2012
LANDED..........
Sorry dear applicants, I was very busy with my comprehensive exam. I read all your posted and replies.
I re-applied and my application reached CPP-O on 2012/08/30 and no updates till now. I submitted my RA/ TA experience along with my previous (backhome) experience. Please update the tracker.

beauty00

Sep 11, 2012
maytheflower said:
Can we apply both PhD and CEC?
Acutally, my husband didn't take that risk. He worked full time for one year after master's degree with Post-graduate work permit, before he enrolled in PhD program. I don' t know if working experience in phD will count or not. I also have some friends got rejected for using TA/RA experience to apply CEC, which seems work last year, but not this year.

MASOUD2011

Star Member
Nov 28, 2011
ppb12 said:
Hi MASOUD2011,
Did you apply for Canadian visa or find any information to visit Honolulu without having valid Canadian visa? If you could let me know.
Question is, can any body travel Honolulu and return Canada with a valid study permit but no valid Canadian visa. If anybody else has an experience, please response.
Hi ppb12,

check this out (3-f applies to us): http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-190-20110616.html

Hawaii is part of US!

Masoud

ppb12

Jan 18, 2012
MASOUD2011 said:
Hi ppb12,

check this out (3-f applies to us): http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-190-20110616.html

Hawaii is part of US!

Masoud
It is saying,
f) to re-enter Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, if they

(i) held a study permit or a work permit that was issued before they left Canada on such a visit or were authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a temporary resident, and

(ii) return to Canada by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it;

I know the above rule. I also experienced that. I also understand Hawii is part of USA. But certainly why the question is arising for Howaii. Somebody mentioned that there might have different rule. I also know that if some body live in Howaii with valid US visa (may vary with citizenship), he or she needs visa for entering in USA main land. That is forcing me to believe that there might have different rule to re-enter canada from Howaii. Actually I am checking this for my wife, her canadian visa expaired but she has valid study permit. She is thinking to join with me. Did you confirm from any other source?

palomita

Sep 25, 2012
Proof of funds if we're in Canada and other questions

Hi all, i'm just starting to gather the docs and reviewing the application package. I have a couple of questions, would be great if some of you can give me some advice.

1. do we need to submit proof of funds even if we're in canada? My husband has a fulltime job here and I have the TA, but we don't make enough to have the amount they suggest in our savings account. In relation with this, I'm not sure if I need to submit proof of funds for my daughter too, she's a canadian citizen.

2. Regarding the translations, did you guys pay for a certified translation? I mean besides the affidavit we also need to submit a certified copy?

thanks a lot,

palomita

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Re: Proof of funds if we're in Canada and other questions

palomita said:
Hi all, i'm just starting to gather the docs and reviewing the application package. I have a couple of questions, would be great if some of you can give me some advice.

1. do we need to submit proof of funds even if we're in canada? My husband has a fulltime job here and I have the TA, but we don't make enough to have the amount they suggest in our savings account. In relation with this, I'm not sure if I need to submit proof of funds for my daughter too, she's a canadian citizen.

2. Regarding the translations, did you guys pay for a certified translation? I mean besides the affidavit we also need to submit a certified copy?

thanks a lot,

palomita
Hi Palomita--
I strongly believe you still have to show the proof of funds but it is interesting how much since as you mentioned your daughter is Canadian citizen. So, in that case logically I believe you have to show the proof of funds for two persons (u nd your spouse) since you are not applying for your daughter. The amount of funds depends on how many peoples in your application. However, you could double check with CIC by calling them. But I suggest you call at least 2/3 times to get a consistent suggestion, since sometimes honestly speaking they just give their own opinion without knowing the regulation properly. Once you confirm with someone, take his employee ID and keep the record when you called, so that if anything bad happen in future you can refer the person.
Regarding Translation, honestly speaking I don't have any experience like that. Hope somebody else could give u some suggestion.
Thanks and Good luck.
Kazi

maytheflower

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Proof of funds if we're in Canada and other questions

palomita said:

thanks a lot,

palomita
Regarding translation, most of my documents, I translated by myself. And that worked for all my previous application: study permit, family's visit & extension, work permit, .... Since they are the same guys, it should work for this time.

Only for very important or required documents, like degrees and diplomas, I gave the notirization or certified translation. I don't think that will be a problem if your documents are real.

Any further request for certified translation, you may get them prepared in one week. Not a big deal.

Someone spend money on certified translation on each page. That's really meaningless, and is a waste of money.

Be confident!!!