+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any one who applied to Buffalo in may and got their visas???

maine17

Mar 21, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
^I agree with auto. since you're still on a work permit, I guess indicate that you're a worker. If you still had doubts, better call CIC to make sure.
Plan to stay-- expiry date of work permit.

Hope this helps!

maine17

Mar 21, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
autobahnzoom said:
Hi maine17 or others who have successfully applied,
The answer below is super useful, especially question 9. I was going to fill in USA, but will go with your example and put Canada.

Few questions:
1. Did you have to send in your original work permit? and do they safely send it back? Or would a photo copy do?

2. What other originals did you have to send in?

3. I have a work permit for my wife that has her firstname, middlename and lastname , all put together in the last name field as < firstname middlename lastname>
At OHIP office they pointed out it is wrong in the systems. Her last work permit has it right i.e - < lastname, firstname middlename>. Do you think the error on the new work permit will be a problem for visa stamping? Delay to get work permit corrected could prove costly due to my travel dates, but I am debating if there is a risk.

4. I travel abroad on Aug 27, so I am hoping I can send in the form on Monday (july 18) on overnight Fedex and still get it back by Aug 27. Does anyone think it is risky? I am enclosing 2 CanadaPost xpresspost envelopes.

Any advice would help. Thanks
1. I just sent a photocopy of my work permit.
2. Originals--passport, refer to document checklist mostly are photocopies only
3. I don't think you need to ask for a new one since I'm assuming you'll be sending her passport too, and they will follow the name listed in the passport same as the visa they will issue. To make sure maybe attached her old work permit, so they will see it is of the same person (Just my two cents)
4. I don't know about other commercial couriers, . Better send it ASAP since the estimate processing times is 30 days. In my case, it took almost 45 days for me to rcvd it (anyway it's with Canada Post and there have been delays cause of the strike)

Goodluck!

autobahnzoom

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks Maine. I plan to ask about the full name issue at the CIC office in Toronto via their phone number. If I cannot talk to them (usually difficult to get through I suppose) I will still send this in hoping they can look at her past work permit and passport name.

autobahnzoom

Jul 15, 2011
While filling out IMM5257E, I see that they recommend to put firstname, middlename and lastname in the FAMILY NAME field IF the person's passport has the LASTNAME field blank. I think this is the standard they followed in filling out my wife's name on work permit, since her passport has her LASTNAME field blank and all of her full name in the GIVEN NAME field. So, on the question below, I am going to assume that I am OK with submitting the work permit as is. Will post later if it turned out to be problematic.

<<<
3. I have a work permit for my wife that has her firstname, middlename and lastname , all put together in the last name field as < firstname middlename lastname>
At OHIP office they pointed out it is wrong in the systems. Her last work permit has it right i.e - < lastname, firstname middlename>. Do you think the error on the new work permit will be a problem for visa stamping? Delay to get work permit corrected could prove costly due to my travel dates, but I am debating if there is a risk.
>>>

autobahnzoom

Jul 15, 2011
OK, I have sent in my application by Fedex overnight to Buffalo office. They received it today (July 19th).
(Cost me $67, but I figured Canada Post still has a backlog and perhaps I could avoid the Fort Erie to Buffalo transfer)
I expect it back before Aug 27th, when I have to travel.
Will post a note when I receive it.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Following is what I sent:
- IMM5257E for me, spouse, child - validated and signed, with barcode page on top
- IMM5645E for me, spouse, child - signed
- Checklist with enclosed items checked. I kept a copy for each of us top of the above forms.
- 2 photos for each of us - with name and date of Birth on the back
- Work permit photocopy for me and my spouse and visitor document (from CIC-similar to work permit) for my child
- Payment - family rate $400 - took a bank draft from TD - drawn for "Receiver General For Canada"
- Passports for all three of us. My child is a US passport holder and I read he might not need a visa.I nevertheless sent in an application for him and included his passport (since I had done this on my original TRV application from abroad)
- Two prepaid Xpresspost envelopes. With return 'From address' as Fort Erie address and 'To address' as my home address.
- Employment letter
- Supporting documents:
- Past years's T4 and recent 2 payslips
- Recent bank statements
- Old work permit copies for me and my spouse
- Employment letter and recent paylsips for my spouse
- Marriage certificate (just in case)
- Old passport photocopies of non-blank pages (just in case)

Hope this helps future applicants. good luck.

hs202

Nov 21, 2009
Hi Auto
Thanks
I sent my application via Canadapost Xpress Post today.

My only question is why did u sent two prepaid National Xpress post if you have sent your application directly via fedex to Bufallo. I think you should have just sent 1.

This is what I did and I want to make sure if I did it right. I purchased 2 xpress post National envelopes and placed one envelope (return envelope) in the other envelope. I sent my application to Fort Erie

SPYROW13

Jul 20, 2011
hi guys,
anybody here already applied for re-entry visa thru Fort Errie,Ontario? i just need some information about the processing time

thank you

dev236

Jun 24, 2011
Simp said:
hi there,

I am in the bad situation as well because canada post tracking showing item delayed since june 22nd and buffalo nt replying to mails.
So i would be grateful if you could tell me how to get hold of some one from the counsellate so i know if my passwports were processed from there or still not as Canada post Didnt deliver me yet though work has been resumed.

Thanks

Simp
Sorry for the late reply. I finally got my visa on July 4th, and left the country the same day. Only got back yesterday. I essentially called everybody in the "Contacts" section of their website until I got a reply.

The one that answered was either the Consulate General or her secretary (716-858-9500). However, mine was just a question about where they mail from. I doubt they'll give information about your file on the phone.

Back then, Canada Post was taking 4 business days to deliver documents from Fort Erie to Toronto. Im pretty sure its better now, though.

maine17

Mar 21, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SPYROW13 said:
hi guys,
anybody here already applied for re-entry visa thru Fort Errie,Ontario? i just need some information about the processing time

thank you
I did. Sent it may 31st, got my passport with visa stamped July 12th.
Anyway, goodluck auto and hs202, hope you'll get yours too as soon as possible.

autobahnzoom

Jul 15, 2011
hs202, logically thinking you are right. I was so confused about the instruction, I just didnt want to take risk. I think you should be OK.

It looked as if they needed the second envelope to send back supporting documentation if sending in originals. I didn't send in any original supporting documentation. However my child has a US passport and he technically doesn't need a visa. I had sent in an application for him as well with his passport; not sure if they will consider it out of the application(and as supporting doc) and return the child passport separately from the other two visa stamped passports. Thought it is safer to send an additional envelope.

hs202 said:
Hi Auto
Thanks
I sent my application via Canadapost Xpress Post today.

My only question is why did u sent two prepaid National Xpress post if you have sent your application directly via fedex to Bufallo. I think you should have just sent 1.

This is what I did and I want to make sure if I did it right. I purchased 2 xpress post National envelopes and placed one envelope (return envelope) in the other envelope. I sent my application to Fort Erie

autobahnzoom

Jul 15, 2011
Its two weeks into my application being received at Buffalo. (July 19).
When do I start calling for getting an update. Do I need to wait for 30 days? And is it 30 Calendar days or business days?

If anyone can provide the email address or phone numbers you used to send queries about TRV application status, that will be great. (i.e the ones that you found most success with)
My concerns:
1. Have I overpaid my fees? I paid 400 for the family. But my child might not need a visa since he holds a US passport and if thats the case I only need to pay 150+150=$300. I was reading on another post that some one paid over the amount needed and they were required to send another check with the lesser amount.
2. Rush at consulate due to Canada Post backlog being cleared. Could this mean more than 30 days for processing?
3. I had sent only photocopies of my old passport. Should I be concerned I didnt sent the original. I hope not!

Only A Dreamer

Aug 4, 2011
oh man I read what you guys are saying and I'm even more panicked now. They received my application on the 28th of June "due to the Canada Post strike" and I was expecting to get a response in 30 days. My ticket is booked (15th of August) and I don't even know how many days should I delay it. This is so frustrating...