Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
farwa ff said:
thankx for your help..
Just want to know that how strong are the chances of getting a OWP usually to a spouse ???
No problem. If your spouse has a temp worker / student status, and all your stuff is correctly in place, there are pretty good chances that it would get through one way or the other. Lately, i have seen some weird refusals but gcms notes told they weren't sure of the job description, NOC, and work nature to consider it a NOC 0, A or B thing - hence the refusal. So just make sure you have all things correctly in pace i.e. not just your spouse's work permit and financials, but also proof of his role and prospects of its continuity preferably from his employer along and you should be good to get one.

TRVS or even SOWP often get refusals when the principal applicant is already on a PR and the proper way to bring family is to have spousal sponsorship which takes around 2-3 years from Pak. So often CIC views OWP or specially trv applications as a way to cover that time only. Hence the refusals.

I don't see why it would result in a refusal for you unless there is a mistake in docs or status representation. So you have pretty good chances.

UPDATE:

In terms of perspective, i don't view this as a game of chances. There are pretty clear guidelines for acceptance or rejections. Majority of those can be fairly predictable. Very few of those are based upon VO's personal feelings, opinions or a mere bad luck from your side by missing a doc, or incorrectly following a procedure.

farwa ff

Jul 31, 2013
fkl said:
No problem. If your spouse has a temp worker / student status, and all your stuff is correctly in place, there are pretty good chances that it would get through one way or the other. Lately, i have seen some weird refusals but gcms notes told they weren't sure of the job description, NOC, and work nature to consider it a NOC 0, A or B thing - hence the refusal. So just make sure you have all things correctly in pace i.e. not just your spouse's work permit and financials, but also proof of his role and prospects of its continuity preferably from his employer along and you should be good to get one.

TRVS or even SOWP often get refusals when the principal applicant is already on a PR and the proper way to bring family is to have spousal sponsorship which takes around 2-3 years from Pak. So often CIC views OWP or specially trv applications as a way to cover that time only. Hence the refusals.

I don't see why it would result in a refusal for you unless there is a mistake in docs or status representation. So you have pretty good chances.

UPDATE:

In terms of perspective, i don't view this as a game of chances. There are pretty clear guidelines for acceptance or rejections. Majority of those can be fairly predictable. Very few of those are based upon VO's personal feelings, opinions or a mere bad luck from your side by missing a doc, or incorrectly following a procedure.

Thanks for such a detailed reply.. Appreciated. My husband is a fulltime international student having an off campus work permit and he is working part time. One thing I am confused about that when applying for a open spouse work permit do I need to show or give details of my future the employer in Canada or it will be left blank?
as I don't have any employment offers.

and secondly I just completed that questionnaire on CIC so they just asked me to fill out an application of OWP , PASSPORT , PHOTOGRAPHS AND RELATIONSHIP PROVE and nothing else... so what is that ??

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
So his work status does not count as major or eligible to get you on SOWP, his student status is - and No you do not need to show any details of employer, just write "Not applicable" in all those fields. DO NOT leave them blank. But since your husband is a student, you do need to show enough funds for your expense for a year in addition to what he already needed for himself.

There are certain questions in the original online questionnaire which help towards adding docs such as your husbands study permit and proof of funds etc. Go through them again to make sure you answered each correctly. Latter if you still have more docs than the space available, combine them into a single pdf and list on the top what and why docs you are including.

farwa ff said:
Thanks for such a detailed reply.. Appreciated. My husband is a fulltime international student having an off campus work permit and he is working part time. One thing I am confused about that when applying for a open spouse work permit do I need to show or give details of my future the employer in Canada or it will be left blank?
as I don't have any employment offers.

and secondly I just completed that questionnaire on CIC so they just asked me to fill out an application of OWP , PASSPORT , PHOTOGRAPHS AND RELATIONSHIP PROVE and nothing else... so what is that ??

farwa ff

Jul 31, 2013
fkl said:
So his work status does not count as major or eligible to get you on SOWP, his student status is - and No you do not need to show any details of employer, just write "Not applicable" in all those fields. DO NOT leave them blank. But since your husband is a student, you do need to show enough funds for your expense for a year in addition to what he already needed for himself.

There are certain questions in the original online questionnaire which help towards adding docs such as your husbands study permit and proof of funds etc. Go through them again to make sure you answered each correctly. Latter if you still have more docs than the space available, combine them into a single pdf and list on the top what and why docs you are including.
So.. last few things ...sorry for bothering so much but really appreciate ur help...
then what about the TRV ? Do I NEED TO APPLY WITH MY OWP ?? or it will be given to me automatically ??
Secondly , I applied last time through the online system but now I have heard from some people that applying through paper work is more safe ?? Is it true ??

usman.ahmad3

Star Member
Dec 24, 2013
farwa ff said:
So.. last few things ...sorry for bothering so much but really appreciate ur help...
then what about the TRV ? Do I NEED TO APPLY WITH MY OWP ?? or it will be given to me automatically ??
Secondly , I applied last time through the online system but now I have heard from some people that applying through paper work is more safe ?? Is it true ??
u will apply for OWP only.
its not that true. processing time is less for online applications. online application is recommended.

farwa ff

Jul 31, 2013
usman.ahmad3 said:
u will apply for OWP only.
its not that true. processing time is less for online applications. online application is recommended.
okay.. and does it take the same time to get the result of TRV like 2 months almost ?? or even longer ?

usman.ahmad3

Star Member
Dec 24, 2013
farwa ff said:
okay.. and does it take the same time to get the result of TRV like 2 months almost ?? or even longer ?
no.
work permits take more time as compared to TRVs.
it depends from where u apply. if u apply from Pakistan for OWP it will take 6 months.
but the processing time changes with time.

farwa ff

Jul 31, 2013
usman.ahmad3 said:
no.
work permits take more time as compared to TRVs.
it depends from where u apply. if u apply from Pakistan for OWP it will take 6 months.
but the processing time changes with time.
OMG.... 6 months ??? are you serious ?? that is way toooo long...

usman.ahmad3

Star Member
Dec 24, 2013
farwa ff said:
OMG.... 6 months ??? are you serious ?? that is way toooo long...
obviously i am serious. m not having fun with u.

TRV is now taking 46 days from pakistan. but work permits are taking 6 months on 80% applications.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
farwa ff said:
When you apply for open work permit, it is part of the process that you submit trv application too (it is one of the 3 forms required). Work permit itself is not a visa as i have mentioned before. It is a separate paper that you get when you actually land. But when CIC approves your application, you get a trv stamped on your passport. Its type vary depending upon if you are a visitor, worker or student. So you have to fill all forms required for OWP which includes trv form and you get TRV automatically.

It doesn't make much difference whether you apply on paper or online except that online might be faster by say a week. The real advantage is that you know the exact date when your application is put into the system - in case of online app. On the contrary, CIC might hold on your application for month or more only to return it unprocessed if say they think you missed some document required. Lastly, in case of online app, you do not submit any thing in original except passport. Even that you submit only when you get a passport request when it is almost sure you will be getting a visa. This is important because CIC even loses originals of people at times.

Bottom line, if you can apply online, it is preferred. However, there is no magical advantage of doing that. You are evaluated at the same embassy by almost the same process. You just save some time because they do not have to manually scan your docs and create file in the system.

Also, time frames highly vary. In Pakistan the order of preference of CIC is study visa, then trvs, then work permits. The official stated time for wp is around 8-9 months in Pakistan. But if you have a good profile and all documents are in order, usually you get processed with in 3 months. However, it depends upon many other factors such as

a) what time of year you apply - if you applied in say mar - june time frame, CIC is very crowded because of main stream study applications for september, which have higher preference. If apply in say mid sep or october, you are expected to get fastest processing because CIC is relatively free then, PLUS each embassy is given a target to process a minimum number of applications by year end. So they are much active near end of year.

b) Often there could be other factors such as last year there were changes in wp permit process as well as strikes which significantly delayed processes for many people by at least 4-5 months. My own case hanged on for much longer but there were many factors involved so i won't generalize it. Contrary to that i have several colleagues whose process only took 3 months in total. In some cases, even less i.e. around 2.5 months.

APAK

Nov 7, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2012
File Transfer...
Transferred to ottawa in Nov 2012,transferred to ISB july 2013
LANDED..........
cannot wait!!
How long is it taking nowadays to process trv at chc isb?
Website says 46 days but do ppl get it within 46 days?
And if they want to reject it, do they reject I right away? How many days?

farwa ff

Jul 31, 2013
I applied my TRV in JAN and dint got any reply till end of March...
they dint even updated my online account ..thn I called and they said it rejected

missing

Jan 7, 2014
farwa ff said:
I applied my TRV in JAN and dint got any reply till end of March...
they dint even updated my online account ..thn I called and they said it rejected
Hey farwa ff ... where did u called ???

speedstah

Apr 4, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMM5257E - Schedule 1

Do we need to submit this Schedule 1 form with the TRV application?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
speedstah said:
IMM5257E - Schedule 1

Do we need to submit this Schedule 1 form with the TRV application?
It's better that you do. Although the form says it only applies in certain situations, but in Pakistan Fedex (VFS) guys say that your application might be returned unprocessed if this form is not there and i have seen this happening. Besides, if the form is not needed they would simply leave it out. So submitting additional form is not a disadvantage any way. Better safe than sorry.