Merlyns_Tim

Star Member
Nov 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: A strain on your relationship

blueangel371115 said:
visto

I agree with that 100%. Some wait times are very long and some countries it is difficult (if not, impossible) to be issued a visitor's visa but, and my fiance agrees, that would cost extra money to the CIC to check every couple's case. However, they should be allowed to process as a fiance visa, with expedited processing, to reunite these families. In my opinion.
I've also mentioned elsewhere that a spousal visa should be implemented. If a person is your wife or husband what better reason is there for them to be allowed into the country? They have visitation visa, tourist visas, parental visas, etc, ....

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013

Merlyns_Tim said:
I've also mentioned elsewhere that a spousal visa should be implemented. If a person is your wife or husband what better reason is there for them to be allowed into the country? They have visitation visa, tourist visas, parental visas, etc, ....
You can fake a marriage. It's a little harder to fake parentage.

Not all marriages used for immigration are real. Sometimes it's either one person scamming the other, sometimes its both people working together.

For the record, some of those tourist are people truly entering Canada looking for work. They aren't being honest either, however, until Immigration decides it's a problem and to address it, it wil continue to happen.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013

amikety said:
You can fake a marriage. It's a little harder to fake parentage.

Not all marriages used for immigration are real. Sometimes it's either one person scamming the other, sometimes its both people working together.

For the record, some of those tourist are people truly entering Canada looking for work. They aren't being honest either, however, until Immigration decides it's a problem and to address it, it wil continue to happen.
All too true.

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
bonitanita said:
You've landed now right? Are you applying for jobs yet?
I have been applying jobs since June. I had work permits. I'm over qualified for simple jobs, and no Canadian work experience for professional jobs. Besides economies are slow in lower mainland in BC. I stopped for applying for survival jobs, this job hunting experience stripped all my confidence and depressing :'(. I sometimes I feel I should go to graduate school (now that I have PR, the tuition won't be that bad) but that won't solve the problem and probably even worse in the long run.

Frankly speaking I did not expect situation would be this bad ???. I hope 2013 will be a better year.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally

Merlyns_Tim said:
I totally agree on this point. Families should have the oportunity to be reunited. And it is very unfortunate that it is so dificult. And it is also unfortunate that it is also delayed on the other end. I wish both countries would cooperate better.
bonitanita said:
In addition to that, I wish there were a way that CIC could issue temporary work visas while waiting for PR. I know it'll probably never happen because it means more work for them but imagine how much easier life would be with it!
Tell me about it. I would love to start work right off. As it is, funds are limited and I am not very comfortable with my fiance paying for just about everything. t Plus there are job oportunities in my field that I'd love to take advantage of. Opprtunities that don't exist at home.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I'd also love a work permit. I've been offered several great jobs (for restarting my whole life) but all need a open work permit. Within walking distance of my house too!

I can understand why they don't, though. It would create a situation where someone came to Canada under the pretense of applying for Spousal PR, maybe even have it in progress. Then work enough to qualify for CEC immigration, cancel the Family Application, and go under CEC instead. (This would only work for a few VOs, obviously.) Abandon the Canadian spouse that was used. Or just get over here and get the foot in the door - employers would be more likely to give a LMO to existing employees. There's probably 100 other possible ways people could scam with it.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
AnaMaria said:
I have been applying jobs since June. I had work permits. I'm over qualified for simple jobs, and no Canadian work experience for professional jobs. Besides economies are slow in lower mainland in BC. I stopped for applying for survival jobs, this job hunting experience stripped all my confidence and depressing :'(. I sometimes I feel I should go to graduate school (now that I have PR, the tuition won't be that bad) but that won't solve the problem and probably even worse in the long run.

Frankly speaking I did not expect situation would be this bad ???. I hope 2013 will be a better year.
Job hunting even for a citizen can be difficult. I have always moved to where the work is. Can you relocate to another city or province?

bonitanita

Feb 8, 2012
St. John's
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 April 2012 rcvd 2 May 2012
Doc's Request.
04-12-2012 sent to High Commission on 21-12-2012
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
25/07/2012
Med's Done....
28 March 2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Issued: 14/01/2013 Rcvd: 24/01/2013
amikety said:
I'd also love a work permit. I've been offered several great jobs (for restarting my whole life) but all need a open work permit. Within walking distance of my house too!

I can understand why they don't, though. It would create a situation where someone came to Canada under the pretense of applying for Spousal PR, maybe even have it in progress. Then work enough to qualify for CEC immigration, cancel the Family Application, and go under CEC instead. (This would only work for a few VOs, obviously.) Abandon the Canadian spouse that was used. Or just get over here and get the foot in the door - employers would be more likely to give a LMO to existing employees. There's probably 100 other possible ways people could scam with it.
But they could implement conditions where you were not allowed to apply for CEC immigration if you had the spouse temporary visas. There's a lot they can do to make it easier for us but they don't want to. They just want to make it easier for themselves.

I have just finished the last of my christmas wrapping. Had to buy all of bf's xmas presents with his own money. Feel like a freaking chav.

Merlyns_Tim

Star Member
Nov 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bonitanita said:
But they could implement conditions where you were not allowed to apply for CEC immigration if you had the spouse temporary visas. There's a lot they can do to make it easier for us but they don't want to. They just want to make it easier for themselves.

I have just finished the last of my christmas wrapping. Had to buy all of bf's xmas presents with his own money. Feel like a freaking chav.
I'm sure your bf will understand, and knows you want to work. It's just a temporary thing because you still don't have the legal documents so you can find a job. To me that's the big thing, ... knowing your partner wants to work and help out. :)
My ex (from a 20 year marriage) worked for the first year we were together and then retired at about 31 years old, and left me to struggle with our debts for the next 19 years, with no intention of going back to work.
Had she been more like you and actually cared about helping out by working it may have saved our marriage. :eek:

Merlyns_Tim

Star Member
Nov 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AnaMaria said:

We're hoping my wife doesn't have a hard time finding work once she has what ever she needs to, so she can start putting in resumes.
As I told her, maybe she'll have to take anything available to start with, Tim Horton's, WalMart, Target, MacDonnald's, etc, etc, and then she can apply around for something better and more suited to her education and training while she works.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Merlyns_Tim said:
We're hoping my wife doesn't have a hard time finding work once she has what ever she needs to, so she can start putting in resumes.
As I told her, maybe she'll have to take anything available to start with, Tim Horton's, WalMart, Target, MacDonnald's, etc, etc, and then she can apply around for something better and more suited to her education and training while she works.
Tim Horton's hires often. So does McDonald's and usually malls, ESPECIALLY seasonally.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
parker24 said:
Tim Horton's hires often. So does McDonald's and usually malls, ESPECIALLY seasonally.
My wife is also a professional. Do all new immigrants struggle with not having Canadian work experience? Does it matter the profession and the region?
I'm just wondering what I could do to help her avoid having to take a job she is over qualified for.

Merlyns_Tim

Star Member
Nov 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadianJeepGuy said:
My wife is also a professional. Do all new immigrants struggle with not having Canadian work experience? Does it matter the profession and the region?
I'm just wondering what I could do to help her avoid having to take a job she is over qualified for.
It may not be right, but to me it seems if two people of equal qualifications, (or even if the Canadian is higher qualified) apply for the same position in an awful lot of cases the immigrant gets the job.

When my son finished high school he finished on the honor roll and with three separate awards, as well as being told before the year ended that if he was going on after high school that he could have a scholarship in Communication Technologies. I couldn't afford on my salary to send him away to school though, so he got a job where I worked and did an excellent job, never was late, never missed time, was really liked by the machine operator he helped etc.
He eventually trained a new employee an immigrant who could barely speak English to do the same job. The man was nice enough but really not good at the job (packing forms off the end of a printing press which sometimes are numbered forms) so he might get them in the wrong cartons etc.
When the recession hit both my son and the immigrant were in a permanent lay off, and when things eventually started to pick up again both applied to come back. The immigrant got the job over my son, who knew the job better, could communicate better and who didn't have a problem knowing how to package numbered forms.

I'm not sure if the government gives kick backs to companies that hire immigrants, ... but to me anyhow it appears that in most cases an immigrant stands at least as good a chance as anyone else to get the job they apply for.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
CanadianJeepGuy said:
Depends on where and what profession. I'm the Canadian, and I am BARELY am working in my field. I am a Child and Youth Worker graduate, so I went to school to work with children and youth.. Out of my 5 on-call jobs, three of them have to do with children. NONE of them are full time hours, nor part time hours honestly. The economy is horrible right now where I am (Southern Ontario) but Alberta right now is doing VERY well.

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
Merlyns_Tim said:
It may not be right, but to me it seems if two people of equal qualifications, (or even if the Canadian is higher qualified) apply for the same position in an awful lot of cases the immigrant gets the job.

When my son finished high school he finished on the honor roll and with three separate awards, as well as being told before the year ended that if he was going on after high school that he could have a scholarship in Communication Technologies. I couldn't afford on my salary to send him away to school though, so he got a job where I worked and did an excellent job, never was late, never missed time, was really liked by the machine operator he helped etc.
He eventually trained a new employee an immigrant who could barely speak English to do the same job. The man was nice enough but really not good at the job (packing forms off the end of a printing press which sometimes are numbered forms) so he might get them in the wrong cartons etc.
When the recession hit both my son and the immigrant were in a permanent lay off, and when things eventually started to pick up again both applied to come back. The immigrant got the job over my son, who knew the job better, could communicate better and who didn't have a problem knowing how to package numbered forms.

I'm not sure if the government gives kick backs to companies that hire immigrants, ... but to me anyhow it appears that in most cases an immigrant stands at least as good a chance as anyone else to get the job they apply for.
Hey Merlyn,

I think this boils down to the government trying to regulate labour costs (wages) so that they don't spiral out of control. Immigrants as you rightly say seem to have an advantage but for various reasons that include they are less inclined to moan (they are appreciative of the fact they are in Canada in the first place), they will generally take the menial jobs or tasks that citizen's think are below them and will generally not speak out about any mal-practice.

Having lived in the UK all my life, when we had the credit boom and money seemed to be flowing like tap water, our "wise" government did EXACTLY the same thing and approved so many immigration applications (that and there is a free trade between all EU members), they drove the price of labour and wages down. Obviously the first to complain were the nationals and those that had lived in the UK for years. Immigrants from Countries like Australia, New Zeland and a lot of eastern Europe did not care because the exchange rate was crazy high, so not so good wages were more than made up for by the amazing exchange rate. They sent all their excess money home to family members to pay for their family and properties abroad.

So immigration is a tool that a country's government can use to beat the nationals with and negate inflation and the "real" costs that Canadian families have to endure. Their goal is to minimise labour costs and to try and get everybody working for less money. Obviously the issue is when immigrants are sending the money they earn back to other countries, taking all the $$$ out of the economy. When a recession or depression hits, the people who do this will move on to the next country and rinse and repeat.

The after effects of this happening are catastrophic and a country is left with those who don't want to work and suck up more of the economy in the way of benefits. It really is a frightening scenario and after 4 years, the UK is no better than when the recession hit.