+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

YVR: Which officer is the most powerful at port of entry?

mandyshine2009

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
Vancouver airport: PR case.

Scenario 1: Get off from plane, stand in line and go to a immigration officer where he/she will ask couple of questions and stamp your passport. After that you go and collect your bag and go to custom. Some officers are standing there on the way to custom and by seeing the arrival card they dictate to go out from the airport or go to another room for inspection. Who are these officers? Immigration officers or CBSA officers? If these standing officers are CBSA do they have power to seize your status or ask you questions regarding residency obligation and requirement?

Scenario 2: Get off from plane, stand in line and go to a machine, scan your passport and pr card , get a receipt, a officer standing nearby sees your receipt and let you go towards custom. After that same thing as 1 i.e the following;

""""After that you go and collect your bag and go to custom. Some officers are standing there on the way to custom and by seeing the arrival card they dictate to go out from the airport or go to another room for inspection. Who are these officers? Immigration officers or CBSA officers? If these standing officers are CBSA do they have power to seize your status or ask you questions regarding residency obligation and requirement?"""

NOW I AM WONDERING:

Question A: Which officer is the most powerful one or which officer has the power to seize your status or make decision on your status at the port of entry?
Option 1: Officer 1 who stamps your passport and the officer standing nearby to the machine who verifies the receipt or arrival card? I think they are the immigration officers?

Option 2: Officers who stands nearby the custom who sees your luggage and dictates to either go out or get inside a room for inspection of your luggages? Are they CBSA officers?

Question B: Which officer has the right to ask me questions regarding the residency and pr obligation including not fulfilling RO and reporting etc?

Thanks

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Vancouver airport: PR case.

Scenario 1: Get off from plane, stand in line and go to a immigration officer where he/she will ask couple of questions and stamp your passport. After that you go and collect your bag and go to custom. Some officers are standing there on the way to custom and by seeing the arrival card they dictate to go out from the airport or go to another room for inspection. Who are these officers? Immigration officers or CBSA officers? If these standing officers are CBSA do they have power to seize your status or ask you questions regarding residency obligation and requirement?

Scenario 2: Get off from plane, stand in line and go to a machine, scan your passport and pr card , get a receipt, a officer standing nearby sees your receipt and let you go towards custom. After that same thing as 1 i.e the following;

""""After that you go and collect your bag and go to custom. Some officers are standing there on the way to custom and by seeing the arrival card they dictate to go out from the airport or go to another room for inspection. Who are these officers? Immigration officers or CBSA officers? If these standing officers are CBSA do they have power to seize your status or ask you questions regarding residency obligation and requirement?"""

NOW I AM WONDERING:

Question A: Which officer is the most powerful one or which officer has the power to seize your status or make decision on your status at the port of entry?
Option 1: Officer 1 who stamps your passport and the officer standing nearby to the machine who verifies the receipt or arrival card? I think they are the immigration officers?

Option 2: Officers who stands nearby the custom who sees your luggage and dictates to either go out or get inside a room for inspection of your luggages? Are they CBSA officers?

Question B: Which officer has the right to ask me questions regarding the residency and pr obligation including not fulfilling RO and reporting etc?

Thanks
Are you watching a lot of Border Security episodes ?

Why are you trying these different scenarios ?

Reactions: hamgha

mandyshine2009

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
Are you watching a lot of Border Security episodes ?

Why are you trying these different scenarios ?
Because I am very close to not meeting RO. So I was wondering what happens when I try entering the POE via plane? Who is the one that has supreme powers there ? How does the reporting and etc work when tried to enter via plane?

Also, I have entered the YVR airport more than 20 times from abroad so I am familiar with the environment there but have no idea whom to deal with once they find me in breach of RO? Is it the stamping officer who gives me lecture or CBSA officer standing around the corner or another officer who pops out from nowhere like a genie from the bottle?

Because the stamping officer or the standing officer never opened the mouth as if it was sealed with a invisible tape whenever I approached them. So how does it work?

For those who have been reported for not meeting RO how does it work? Thanks

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Because I am very close to not meeting RO. So I was wondering what happens when I try entering the POE via plane? Who is the one that has supreme powers there ? How does the reporting and etc work when tried to enter via plane?

Also, I have entered the YVR airport more than 20 times from abroad so I am familiar with the environment there but have no idea whom to deal with once they find me in breach of RO? Is it the stamping officer who gives me lecture or CBSA officer standing around the corner or another officer who pops out from nowhere like a genie from the bottle?
Stamping officers too are a part of CBSA troupe
I think you are over concerned how things will happen etc. Whatever you have and it will let you move from destination a to b I think you should not be overally concerned

mandyshine2009

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
Stamping officers too are a part of CBSA troupe
I think you are over concerned how things will happen etc. Whatever you have and it will let you move from destination a to b I think you should not be overally concerned
stamping officers are also cbsa troops. Are you serious? So where is the immigration section then? You mean YVR doesn't have immigration?

I think you are true, I just checked the passport stamp and it says CBSA.. that's correct. So is CBSA related to immigration? I thought CBSA and IRCC were different bodies?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
stamping officers are also cbsa troops. Are you serious? So where is the immigration section then? You mean YVR doesn't have immigration?

I think you are true, I just checked the passport stamp and it says CBSA.. that's correct. So is CBSA related to immigration? I thought CBSA and IRCC were different bodies?
I will say again... you are over stressing yourself sunshine...

CBSA mandate is...
The Agency is responsible for providing integrated border services that support national security and public safety priorities and facilitate the free flow of persons and goods, including animals and plants, that meet all requirements under the program legislation

Where as IRCC’s mission is...
IRCC and its partners will build a stronger Canada by:

• Developing and implementing policies, programs and services that:
    • facilitate the arrival of people and their integration into Canada in a way that maximizes their contribution to the country while protecting the health, safety and security of Canadians;
    • maintain Canada’s humanitarian tradition by protecting refugees and people in need of protection;
    • enhance the values and promote the rights and responsibilities of Canadian citizenship; and
    • reach out to all Canadians and foster increased intercultural understanding and an integrated society with equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, ethnicity and religion.
  • Advancing global migration policies in a way that supports Canada’s immigration and humanitarian objectives.
So once you enter Canadian borders first line of govt agency you deal with is CBSA

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Look if you are near failing or have failed the residency obligation then believe first CBSA officer that you encounter when passing through immigration if they have doubts about your status they will possibly direct you for a secondary inspection where you can plead your case. If not directed to secondary then my understanding apart from the customs inspection you would be good to go as far as entry.

Ultimately of course until you leave the airside of the airport you are under the jurisdiction of CBSA so they always have the last word, having said that no need to overthink every whatif scenario.

Having never been in this situation this is just how I would expect things to go.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Some CBSA officers are specifically tasked to perform "immigration" examinations and make immigration decisions. They are, however, nonetheless CBSA.

There is NO PROCEDURE to "seize" the status of a PR at a PoE. Even if the PR is inadmissible due to a breach of the PR RO, the PR is statutorily entitled to enter Canada.

If a CBSA officer performing immigration duties in Secondary concludes the PR has breached the PR RO, that officer will prepare a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report which, in turn, is referred to another officer, the "minister's delegate" (who typically is senior to the reporting officer, but can just be another CBSA officer so long as qualified as a minister's delegate). The second officer, the minister's delegate, will review the facts including any H&C explanations and determine whether to issue a Removal Order. If a Removal Order is issued, the PR is then allowed to enter Canada. The Removal Order is not immediately enforceable. If the PR does not appeal, it becomes enforceable after 30 days, and the PR's status is conclusively terminated. If the PR appeals, the Removal Order is not enforceable for so long as the appeal is pending. If the PR wins the appeal, the Removal Order is withdrawn or quashed.

Trying to second-guess how to navigate the PoE upon arrival is, as already suggested, futile overthinking. Whether it is the machine or a person, the first line of inquiry is a PIL, a Primary Inspection Line. Sometimes the traveler can be screened after going to the machines by a CBSA officer who is, essentially, still operating in the PIL capacity. Either way, if the PIL screening does not result in a pass through the traveler is referred to Secondary. Some CBSA officers in Secondary perform Customs examinations. Others perform immigration examinations.

If the traveler anticipates a potential referral to Secondary and questions about compliance with the PR RO, best to have any documents which can help the case IN YOUR HANDS (file folder or briefcase or such), NOT in suitcase or checked baggage.

Some travelers try to script what they will say. Not worth trying. Know your facts. For important facts which can be documented in paper, have the papers handy. Prepare to simply and directly give truthful answers to any questions about you and your life.

Those who approach this in a game mode tend to make a bad impression. Just know your facts. And answer questions factually. Truthfully. That is almost always the best approach.

Reactions: bimale4bipeople

qureishi

Dec 9, 2011
Some CBSA officers are specifically tasked to perform "immigration" examinations and make immigration decisions. They are, however, nonetheless CBSA.

There is NO PROCEDURE to "seize" the status of a PR at a PoE. Even if the PR is inadmissible due to a breach of the PR RO, the PR is statutorily entitled to enter Canada.

If a CBSA officer performing immigration duties in Secondary concludes the PR has breached the PR RO, that officer will prepare a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report which, in turn, is referred to another officer, the "minister's delegate" (who typically is senior to the reporting officer, but can just be another CBSA officer so long as qualified as a minister's delegate). The second officer, the minister's delegate, will review the facts including any H&C explanations and determine whether to issue a Removal Order. If a Removal Order is issued, the PR is then allowed to enter Canada. The Removal Order is not immediately enforceable. If the PR does not appeal, it becomes enforceable after 30 days, and the PR's status is conclusively terminated. If the PR appeals, the Removal Order is not enforceable for so long as the appeal is pending. If the PR wins the appeal, the Removal Order is withdrawn or quashed.

Trying to second-guess how to navigate the PoE upon arrival is, as already suggested, futile overthinking. Whether it is the machine or a person, the first line of inquiry is a PIL, a Primary Inspection Line. Sometimes the traveler can be screened after going to the machines by a CBSA officer who is, essentially, still operating in the PIL capacity. Either way, if the PIL screening does not result in a pass through the traveler is referred to Secondary. Some CBSA officers in Secondary perform Customs examinations. Others perform immigration examinations.

If the traveler anticipates a potential referral to Secondary and questions about compliance with the PR RO, best to have any documents which can help the case IN YOUR HANDS (file folder or briefcase or such), NOT in suitcase or checked baggage.

Some travelers try to script what they will say. Not worth trying. Know your facts. For important facts which can be documented in paper, have the papers handy. Prepare to simply and directly give truthful answers to any questions about you and your life.

Those who approach this in a game mode tend to make a bad impression. Just know your facts. And answer questions factually. Truthfully. That is almost always the best approach.
=====================================================

Hi Depenabill,

Lets say if some one is not breaching RO but still there are 10 days in hand from the date of his first entry. Is still there's chance to face any issue on the Pearson Airport ? Especially when the person is with a family and with lots of luggage showing the seriousness of setteling permanently in Canada !

Appreciate you guidance.

Regards
Q.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
=====================================================

Hi Depenabill,

Lets say if some one is not breaching RO but still there are 10 days in hand from the date of his first entry. Is still there's chance to face any issue on the Pearson Airport ? Especially when the person is with a family and with lots of luggage showing the seriousness of setteling permanently in Canada !

Appreciate you guidance.

Regards
Q.
If you are not breaching RO you have nothing to worry about even if you only have one day left until you breach your RO. You are at risk if you try to leave in the next 2 years for more than 10 days which can be very difficult.

Reactions: qureishi

qureishi

Dec 9, 2011
If you are not breaching RO you have nothing to worry about even if you only have one day left until you breach your RO. You are at risk if you try to leave in the next 2 years for more than 10 days which can be very difficult.
Thanks a lot Dear

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Lets say if some one is not breaching RO but still there are 10 days in hand from the date of his first entry.
Keep in mind that if you are that close and pulled into secondary for a review of your RO, the onus is on you to prove you meet the obligation, not CBSA. Make sure you have the evidence available to prove your situation.

mandyshine2009

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
ok thank you all for the answers;

Last question;

I myself ordered the atip request 2 years ago and found that cbsa doesn't record exits. It was only showing entry which was very accurate.

What about exit?
Is airlines manifest the only reliable way for them to know about the exit? Do they have access to the non-USA international airlines manifest from past years? I know they don't record them but do they still know the facts?

How about lying them?
Let's say I want to lie a exit date to meet the RO by creating a fake ticket and fake boarding pass. Does it work? Do they have some sort of algorithm to detect the fraud? I learnt from this forum that some members were able to do so and successfully renewed their pr card and also became a citizen.

How about creating such proofs that completely dominates airlines manifests and challenges the airlines proof by counter attacking them? In other words creating a proof that shows the airlines real exit date was a error or mistake by the airlines on recording it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ok thank you all for the answers;

Last question;

I myself ordered the atip request 2 years ago and found that cbsa doesn't record exits. It was only showing entry which was very accurate.

What about exit?
Is airlines manifest the only reliable way for them to know about the exit? Do they have access to the non-USA international airlines manifest from past years? I know they don't record them but do they still know the facts?

How about lying them?
Let's say I want to lie a exit date to meet the RO by creating a fake ticket and fake boarding pass. Does it work? Do they have some sort of algorithm to detect the fraud? I learnt from this forum that some members were able to do so and successfully renewed their pr card and also became a citizen.

How about creating such proofs that completely dominates airlines manifests and challenges the airlines proof by counter attacking them? In other words creating a proof that shows the airlines real exit date was a error or mistake by the airlines on recording it?
Creating fake documents is fraud and a crime. Don't do this unless you want to make your situation even worse than it already is. Yes - CBSA has access to flight manifests. Lying to either IRCC or CBSA is always a terrible ideal. First of all, the fraud will almost certainly be caught. If it isn't and you somehow manage to obtain citizenship through fraud, your citizenship will never be safe and could be revoked at any time in the future if the fraud is discovered. You will spend your whole life wondering if you will be caught and removed from Canada one day, knowing your status in Canada will never be safe. Don't break the law.

Reactions: YVR123

qureishi

Dec 9, 2011
Keep in mind that if you are that close and pulled into secondary for a review of your RO, the onus is on you to prove you meet the obligation, not CBSA. Make sure you have the evidence available to prove your situation.
Thanks, but I think the entry stamp during the first visit on the passport will be sufficient ??

Reg.
Q.