+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

York University (SCS) - Concern with Program

Nancy Saini

Nov 27, 2019
All,

I have done Btech in CSE and then exp of 2.5 years in software testing and switched to HRM profile and then having exp of 7+Years in HRM (Human Resource and Recruitment Officer) without GAP. I have applied for PG Certificate in HRM with YORK School of Continuing Studies as I don't have any degree/diploma or Certificate in HRM.

Can anyone suggest this is the right choice of Program?

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
All,

I have done Btech in CSE and then exp of 2.5 years in software testing and switched to HRM profile and then having exp of 7+Years in HRM (Human Resource and Recruitment Officer) without GAP. I have applied for PG Certificate in HRM with YORK School of Continuing Studies as I don't have any degree/diploma or Certificate in HRM.

For your career in your home country or for immigration?

Reactions: Nancy Saini

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
All,

If you are already working in HR there is no need to do this certificate. The lack of degree has not hurt your career and a certificate is unlikely to lead to career advancement. Something like a masters degree could be justified as needed for more senior positions in HR.

Reactions: charliem

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
If you are already working in HR there is no need to do this certificate. The lack of degree has not hurt your career
I don't follow that logic at all. He can always claim that getting a credential from a Canadian public university would help him move to bigger and better companies in his homeland.

Nancy Saini

Nov 27, 2019
If you are already working in HR there is no need to do this certificate. The lack of degree has not hurt your career and a certificate is unlikely to lead to career advancement. Something like a masters degree could be justified as needed for more senior positions in HR.
As per my perspective, I dont have any base for my experience so thinking to do this PG in HRM as I have enough experience in HRM. And this program is equivalent to CIPD Level 7 means for senior level positions in HR. In Addition, If I have that much exp in HR then dont think to spend more on either MBA or PHD and all. What do you think on my opinion?

Nancy Saini

Nov 27, 2019
I don't follow that logic at all. He can always claim that getting a credential from a Canadian public university would help him move to bigger and better companies in his homeland.
I agreed with your opinion as getting canadian education can lead me to move at higher level and better positions in my home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As per my perspective, I dont have any base for my experience so thinking to do this PG in HRM as I have enough experience in HRM. And this program is equivalent to CIPD Level 7 means for senior level positions in HR. In Addition, If I have that much exp in HR then dont think to spend more on either MBA or PHD and all. What do you think on my opinion?
If you think you have too much experience for it to be worthwhile to spend money on an MBA I am not sure I follow your reasoning. A PG certificate in HRM would be considered an inferior degree by most employers when compared to an MBA. Given your many years in HR it doesn‘t make sense to relocate and pay a large amount of money to obtain a PG certificate in HRM which you could easily obtain In your home country for a fraction of the cost or on a part-time basis while working. You will have to see what IRCC says but in general when someone has been working in the industry for years IRCC usually questions whether it makes sense for someone to move to Canada for a year and pay such high fees when their career seems to be advancing without the PG certificate and when similar courses are easily available for a fraction of the cost. One benefit is that the course is offered by a good university versus a college. Had you been doing an MBA at York or other masters degree I believe your chances would be much better. None of us work for IRCC so we’ll need to wait and see what happens.

Nancy Saini

Nov 27, 2019
If you think you have too much experience for it to be worthwhile to spend money on an MBA I am not sure I follow your reasoning. A PG certificate in HRM would be considered an inferior degree by most employers when compared to an MBA. Given your many years in HR it doesn‘t make sense to relocate and pay a large amount of money to obtain a PG certificate in HRM which you could easily obtain In your home country for a fraction of the cost or on a part-time basis while working. You will have to see what IRCC says but in general when someone has been working in the industry for years IRCC usually questions whether it makes sense for someone to move to Canada for a year and pay such high fees when their career seems to be advancing without the PG certificate and when similar courses are easily available for a fraction of the cost. One benefit is that the course is offered by a good university versus a college. Had you been doing an MBA at York or other masters degree I believe your chances would be much better. None of us work for IRCC so we’ll need to wait and see what happens.
Thank you for the clarification!

Can you suggest what program should I need to chose as my graduation was Btech in Computer science and engg and then exp in Human Resource Management.

International Business Management and Global Business Management will work out in my case?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thank you for the clarification!

Can you suggest what program should I need to chose as my graduation was Btech in Computer science and engg and then exp in Human Resource Management.

International Business Management and Global Business Management will work out in my case?
They will look at your computer science degree and expect you to do a program related to that.