+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

wrong info on study permit

katek1717

Aug 29, 2012
Hi, i'm an international student who has gotten their study permit approved and came to Canada recently. However, as i was looking through my study permit (the one they staple on to your passport), i noticed one major mistake. It says on it that my country of birth is the U.S. instead of South Korea. I freaked out and checked the application that i have saved on my computer and apparently clicked the U.S. accidentally (although the city, Seoul, was typed correctly) instead of Republic of Korea. One reason I am so concerned about this is because i had resided in the U.S. in the past, and maybe the embassy might think i was lying to make my application more likely to be approved.

Is there a way i can fix this? Would i be penalized for this mistake? (such as getting my study permit revoked) How significant is this mistake?

momi

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
First Medical Request 16/02/2012----Further Medical Request 29/03/2012---Second Further Medical 14/05/2012---Third further medical 03/09/2012
Med's Done....
22/02/2012-----Further Medical Done on 18/04/2012----Second Further Medical Done on 05/06/2012----Third Further Medical done on 10/09/2012
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
24/02/2012
Quite Strange error and secondly approval contains the same error, In my opinion Clarifying the situation with the CIC will be helpful...........because if found later by them during extension on PGWP or PR then it can be more dangerous ................

katek1717

Aug 29, 2012
should i contact the canadian embassy in korea (where i got my study permit) or should i contact the embassy in canada?

also...do you think my study permit will be revoked because of this? :(

momi

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
First Medical Request 16/02/2012----Further Medical Request 29/03/2012---Second Further Medical 14/05/2012---Third further medical 03/09/2012
Med's Done....
22/02/2012-----Further Medical Done on 18/04/2012----Second Further Medical Done on 05/06/2012----Third Further Medical done on 10/09/2012
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
24/02/2012
katek1717 said:
should i contact the canadian embassy in korea (where i got my study permit) or should i contact the embassy in canada?

CIC Canada , I actually have no experience like ur case, so hopefully they will not...

mr.expensive

Aug 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
katek1717 said:

Are you a citizen of South Korea?

Vipul.Varinder

Jun 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
katek1717 said:
Hi, i'm an international student who has gotten their study permit approved and came to Canada recently. However, as i was looking through my study permit (the one they staple on to your passport), i noticed one major mistake. It says on it that my country of birth is the U.S. instead of South Korea. I freaked out and checked the application that i have saved on my computer and apparently clicked the U.S. accidentally (although the city, Seoul, was typed correctly) instead of Republic of Korea. One reason I am so concerned about this is because i had resided in the U.S. in the past, and maybe the embassy might think i was lying to make my application more likely to be approved.

Is there a way i can fix this? Would i be penalized for this mistake? (such as getting my study permit revoked) How significant is this mistake?
dude go to any CIC office. i mean CIC office not any provincial office. that one is on yonge and bloor in Toronto.. Its not a serious error. i had problem with my name not only on study permit but also on sin card, then work permit.. do not worry, just go.. and relax.. they will ask you to give 21 working days and ask you to give a proof(in my case it was a proof where my legal name is written, in your case might be the location or birth certificate)
anywayz 행운

mr.expensive

Aug 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vipul.Varinder said:
dude go to any CIC office. i mean CIC office not any provincial office. that one is on yonge and bloor in Toronto.. Its not a serious error. i had problem with my name not only on study permit but also on sin card, then work permit.. do not worry, just go.. and relax.. they will ask you to give 21 working days and ask you to give a proof(in my case it was a proof where my legal name is written, in your case might be the location or birth certificate)
anywayz 행운
I second that