+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

wrong date in my education history

waliwali

Oct 24, 2017
Hey all,

Following the submission of my application on Oct 11( and now I seem to be penalized by the rush), I found there was a mistake about a date in my education history. In question 11, I mistakenly indicated my I graduated from ABC university from June,2015 ,whereas in fact the date should be June,2014. This may become problematic when my file is moved to IP stage as I also submitted my academic transcript issued by that university as language proof,which clearly states that I graduated from the program in June ,2014.

I have contacted the cic call centre in the other day and I was told that I have two option:1. write them a webform but this may make my case as "non-routine".2. resubmit a fresh application now and withdraw the previous one as soon as I got the AOR. Apart from these two official options, I am thinking if I can just ignore the mistake and pretend i did not know it until they raise the question in the interview? The rationale behind my "risky" plan is because this mistake wont affect my time spent in Canada as I have spent more than 1500 days in Canada. Also, both my jobs after June,2014 and June 2015 are in Canada, so I wont affect my eligibility period as well. But still not sure I will be given a RQ because of my careless mistake.

I hoping to have some thoughts from you, especially our knowledgeable member @spyfy . Thank you!

guddylover

Dec 31, 2016
Hey all,

Following the submission of my application on Oct 11( and now I seem to be penalized by the rush), I found there was a mistake about a date in my education history. In question 11, I mistakenly indicated my I graduated from ABC university from June,2015 ,whereas in fact the date should be June,2014. This may become problematic when my file is moved to IP stage as I also submitted my academic transcript issued by that university as language proof,which clearly states that I graduated from the program in June ,2014.

I have contacted the cic call centre in the other day and I was told that I have two option:1. write them a webform but this may make my case as "non-routine".2. resubmit a fresh application now and withdraw the previous one as soon as I got the AOR. Apart from these two official options, I am thinking if I can just ignore the mistake and pretend i did not know it until they raise the question in the interview? The rationale behind my "risky" plan is because this mistake wont affect my time spent in Canada as I have spent more than 1500 days in Canada. Also, both my jobs after June,2014 and June 2015 are in Canada, so I wont affect my eligibility period as well. But still not sure I will be given a RQ because of my careless mistake.

I hoping to have some thoughts from you, especially our knowledgeable member @spyfy . Thank you!
Does this mistake create any gap in your work/education history? Are you using this degree from the uni as evidence of proof of language?

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
It's an honest mistake not a dilebrate one, and I can assure you that you are not going to be the only one who made a mistake, happens all the time.

I will just wait until AOR once you get that, immediately call the cic and ask which visa office you should send the updates. Write a letter explaining that you probably made an error in a typo for that date, and send a doc file with correct dates. Done.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hey all,

I agree with what is said above: Don't overthink this mistake. It's a small detail, nothing that can't be rectified easily with an explanation letter.

waliwali

Oct 24, 2017
I agree with what is said above: Don't overthink this mistake. It's a small detail, nothing that can't be rectified easily with an explanation letter.
Thanks for the prompt reply! It may be easy to provide an explanation on the web form procedurally ,but my worry is whether or not it will make my case become a non routine one. If so, then I am afraid the whole process can take forever. According to cic website, one of many factors that warrants a non routine application is changes on the application initiated by the applicant. It reads:

We consider your application non-routine if:
  • you asked to change your personal information, such as:
    • name
    • sex designation
    • date of birth
Not sure if my self-initiate amendment would fall into their definitions of "personal information". Thanks

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thanks for the prompt reply! It may be easy to provide an explanation on the web form procedurally ,but my worry is whether or not it will make my case become a non routine one. If so, then I am afraid the whole process can take forever. According to cic website, one of many factors that warrants a non routine application is changes on the application initiated by the applicant. It reads:

We consider your application non-routine if:
  • you asked to change your personal information, such as:
    • name
    • sex designation
    • date of birth
Not sure if my self-initiate amendment would fall into their definitions of "personal information". Thanks
Unlike what this forum might want to make you believe, if your application is designated "non-routine", they don't intentionally leave your application hanging for a while just to spite you. They are simply warning that as soon as something doesn't go according to plan, it might affect your processing time. Sure, if all of a sudden you add a list of twenty additional absences to declare, then there might be long delays. But the simple correction of the end date of your education which can be easily identified as a simple typo will cost them some minutes.

The designation of "non-routine" simply means that you can't complain IF it takes longer than usual. It doesn't mean that it will take longer than usual.