+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong country of birth and no work permit yet

worriedadhd

May 7, 2020
I got my work permit in June and realized the country of birth was wrong on the work permit. I sent it back for the amendment by the end of June and still haven't heard anything or got it back. I still have a scan of the work permit and I was wondering if it is ok to use with the wrong country of birth on it? I've called IRCC twice and got conflicting answers both times. One told me yes it's fine to use, the other said it's not okay to use because it has a mistake on it and could depend on the employer. Does anyone have any experience with this? It is a co-op work permit. Please let me know. Thank you

Soni_

Mar 26, 2022
I got my work permit in June and realized the country of birth was wrong on the work permit. I sent it back for the amendment by the end of June and still haven't heard anything or got it back. I still have a scan of the work permit and I was wondering if it is ok to use with the wrong country of birth on it? I've called IRCC twice and got conflicting answers both times. One told me yes it's fine to use, the other said it's not okay to use because it has a mistake on it and could depend on the employer. Does anyone have any experience with this? It is a co-op work permit. Please let me know. Thank you
Please did you got any answer about it? How much time it takes to correct it?

worriedadhd

May 7, 2020
Please did you got any answer about it? How much time it takes to correct it?
This was during peak COVID time. I received it around February 2021. My school and IRCC said it is fine to work while waiting. When the new work permit was issued, it updated on my online application and they re-issued another In-Canada Approval letter as well, and added a new document number to my online portal. Finally, on the new physical work permit, the 'In-Force' date shows the date of the original work permit. I would recommend double checking with IRCC if you are allowed to work, and if you need it fast, check if you can flag pole. I am not sure about these things. In my case, everyone told me I am allowed to work while waiting, so I worked.

Reactions: lizard2457

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
This was during peak COVID time. I received it around February 2021. My school and IRCC said it is fine to work while waiting. When the new work permit was issued, it updated on my online application and they re-issued another In-Canada Approval letter as well, and added a new document number to my online portal. Finally, on the new physical work permit, the 'In-Force' date shows the date of the original work permit. I would recommend double checking with IRCC if you are allowed to work, and if you need it fast, check if you can flag pole. I am not sure about these things. In my case, everyone told me I am allowed to work while waiting, so I worked.

The current processing time for this is 26 weeks, and I will start work before that is finished. Do you know if they will be able to amend the PGWP at the airport (I'm currently outside of Canada travelling and hence can't call IRCC too). If you are unsure, thank you anyway! :)

worriedadhd

May 7, 2020
The current processing time for this is 26 weeks, and I will start work before that is finished. Do you know if they will be able to amend the PGWP at the airport (I'm currently outside of Canada travelling and hence can't call IRCC too). If you are unsure, thank you anyway! :)
I'm really not sure, but is there any harm in asking when you get to the airport? In any case, I think you are allowed to work while the permit is still being correct (again, you should check for your individual case), so I don't really think it matters when your work starts/when you recieve the corrected permit, as long as it is done in a reasonable time?

NNMK

Jul 7, 2022
how did you contacted he IRCC? can u provide me with the number or email thank you

Soni_

Mar 26, 2022
Hi,
I have the same problem. Did you got any clear answer at the airport Please? I am wondering how can we travel while sending the original work permit for correction? My problem is just in place of birth… and I find it very strange to wait 27 weeks for a correction and without WP (my main problem is the ability to travel…).

lizard2457

Jun 2, 2022
Hi,
I have the same problem. Did you got any clear answer at the airport Please? I am wondering how can we travel while sending the original work permit for correction? My problem is just in place of birth… and I find it very strange to wait 27 weeks for a correction and without WP (my main problem is the ability to travel…).
I don't travel until October unfortunately :(. Please do let me know if you find anything out!

Lale1990

Dec 19, 2022
Hey, I'm facing a similar problem (for me birth year is wrong). I'm wondering if any of you traveled at all? I would like to visit my family soon but I'm afraid to loose my work permit upon re-entry?

Thanks!!