+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would Asthma disqualify me in a medical exam??

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife (In Alberta) is sponsoring me to come to Canada. I have seen posts about conditons that would hinder someone's application for a PR.

I have a form of athsma that has never been severe. I do take medicine every day for it, but I can go for a few days without it and not have any effects. Would this make me inadmissable even though the medicine I use is relatively cheap?

Any advice is welcome

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, that would not make you inadmissible. They are looking for something that is either dangerous to the Canadian public like maybe some strands of TB if untreated or they are looking for something that will cause undue stress on Canadian health care like say you have full blown cancer which needs to be treated or a heart problem that requires surgery or something like that. With spousal sponsorship, only the former is actually checked. They waive the undue stress on healthcare for spouses so as your asthma is not infectious, there is no chance you would be denied because of it.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Spousal/common-law (and dependent child) applicants are excessive medical demand exempt which means that even if you had cancer, you would not be inadmissible to Canada. A spousal applicant with an illness that could be a threat to Canadian health (like TB) will be asked to get treatment and get a clean TB test before they'll be approved for PR. So even active TB will not make a spousal/common-law applicant medically inadmissible. The one thing that might make such an applicant "medically" inadmissible would be an illness that has caused violent behavior . . . something which has the potential to ultimately be a threat to either the sponsor or Canadian public health/safety . . . even if there's never been an arrest that would make the applicant criminally inadmissible.

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well..all I have have is asthma, a possible ingrown toenail, and I am taking one pill a day for borderline blood pressure - however, My doctor and I will agree to take away that pill soon since my BP has gone down quite a bit since I have lost over 150 lbs in weight in the last year.

So I hope they don't get uptight about the Blood Pressure meds. I am no longer obese, but who knows with Immigration people.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eric: They are definitely not going to care about the blood pressure meds.

As robbiesluv said, the only thing that they DO care about is if you have serious communicable disease like TB or you have a serious psychiatric problem that may make you a physical danger to others. Other than that, you have nothing to worry about.

P.S. Wow, good for you for losing 150 lbs! That must have been difficult.