+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worth using an immigration,visa lawyer's office?

ilwoo81

Jan 27, 2014
I am thnking about using them to process my sponsorship.
They had quoted me a flat $4000 including government fees
which will include any other consultations faxes, copies, interview prep, and interview.

I already have all the documents translated and notorized.
Medical exam was completed and paid.

They also said that these days outland and inland doesnt have that much of a difference in wait times, so if we can be together why not just do it inland
is this true?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Based on your previous posts it's for a S.Korean citizens so outland processing office would be Manila. The average time there to get full PR is around 1 year.

With inland, it's 10 months for stage 1 then another 8 months for stage 2 so 18 months total.

By my count 18 > 12, and by a pretty significant amount. So outland would be quicker. For visa-exempt applicants that can usually stay in Canada as a visitor during the process, outland is the better choice.

The lawyers office doesn't sound very good if they couldn't give you this same info. I wouldn't use a lawyer at all, in most cases a complete waste of money and there are too many bad ones out there giving inaccurate advice. Only in cases where there are criminality, inadmissibility or other such serious concerns involved, should a good lawyer be used.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Without knowing more about your situation (including which country the applicant is from), it's impossible to offer any real suggestions.

If you are financially solvent, or at the very least can easily afford $4k for representation, and simply can't be bothered with the paperwork...it might be something to consider. However, if your case is pretty straightforward, meaning no real `red flags', such as a criminal matter or if your relationship would be hard to prove, it would decrease the need, in my opinion, for a lawyer.

Since you have already completed the medical exam, time is of the essence. The medical is only valid for one year so you need to decide ASAP which route you are going to take and get started!

Depending on where the applicant is from, there are most certainly differences in the processing times!!

TorontoEH

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 18, 2014
AOR Received.
Mar 29, 2014
File Transfer...
Apr 16, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 7, 2014
We researched the option of going with a lawyer along with the option of doing it all ourselves. In my opinion, for a regular PR application I don't see the need for a lawyer. Everything is available online, explained well and there are even videos available. The process is not complicated and any questions you may have are readily available on this site. There are also a number of extremely experienced people on this site who could help answer any out of the ordinary questions. We just spoke about this over the weekend and agreed that we are happy about not wasting money on a lawyer. Your decision but maybe do some research and see how comfortable you feel.

Keep in mind that lawyers do not have the ability to fast track any application.

ilwoo81

Jan 27, 2014
Thank you for all the helpful insights.

Have a few questions:

Regarding questions about when we both met each other's close friends and other questions relative to this matter.
Do the answers have to be exact? And would we be required to know them at an interview? Would my friends also have to know the dates and places?
Honestly, I do not even remember when I first met my wife.

Extending her visa.

She was allowed entry until July 31st 2014. She has a previous record of overstaying her visa and was ordered to leave in April 2013. She was not allowed entrance for a year which was April 2014. (she is korean citizen, she flew to New York) We, my wife and my sister and I, drove up from New York wher at the border crossing my wife went through immigration. We told them that she was leaving in August because her return ticket to korea was in September.
She got a visitors visa with three conditions.
No work, no study. Must leave by Augusu 01. Must report with immigration office upon exit of Canada.
With all of this considered, how good are her chances for an extended visa for both inland and outland applications, if they matter. Also, would she able to stay the full length from now until we are given a decision.

Thank you again for all your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ilwoo81 said:
Regarding questions about when we both met each other's close friends and other questions relative to this matter.
Do the answers have to be exact? And would we be required to know them at an interview? Would my friends also have to know the dates and places?

No work, no study. Must leave by Augusu 01. Must report with immigration office upon exit of Canada.
With all of this considered, how good are her chances for an extended visa for both inland and outland applications, if they matter. Also, would she able to stay the full length from now until we are given a decision.
The dates don't need to be exact and they will not verify them with friends/family. Visa-exempt applicants are very rarely called for an interview, so as long as you have no major red flags, don't worry about that.

Having a PR app submitted will improve her chances for an extension; it doesn't matter if it's inland or outland. Once she has applied for the extension (around the beginning of July), she can stay past August 1st on Implied Status until she hears a decision on the extension.

I agree with the above posters than there is no need to use a lawyer and outland is the better choice.

ilwoo81

Jan 27, 2014
Thank you all.
Have made up my mind to finish the paper work myself.

If she is visiting and living with me surrently do I put her mailing address and residential address as my own?
if not,
Can I put myself down under use of representative? I do not want them sending mail to her korean address.

Do I need to provide printout copies of proof of communications?
How do I provide them with wedding photos and such? Can I send in an USB key with text files and photos?

So many questions...

Thank you all for helping through this process, bless you all.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Note that if you submit an OUTLAND app, she will need to maintain her visitor or other status in Canada independent from the PR application. Normally for a visa-exempt applicant this is very easy to do so not even an issue. However with her previous overstay on record, getting a visitor status extension may not be guaranteed, even with the outland PR app submitted.

In your case you may want to consider an INLAND app with an OWP app, since that will guarantee her she can stay in Canada during entire processing time. Actually she would not be able to leave Canada at all for up to 18 months.

However I would get some feedback from posters who have submitted outland PR then applied for visitor status renewal with a recent overstay, and see if they were successful.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ilwoo81 said:
Thank you all.
Have made up my mind to finish the paper work myself.

If she is visiting and living with me surrently do I put her mailing address and residential address as my own?
if not,
Can I put myself down under use of representative? I do not want them sending mail to her korean address.

Do I need to provide printout copies of proof of communications?
How do I provide them with wedding photos and such? Can I send in an USB key with text files and photos?

So many questions...

Thank you all for helping through this process, bless you all.
Yes, you can use your Canadian address.

Yes, you should send copies (not originals) of photos, documents, etc., unless the original is required, per the document checklist.

No not send a USB drive or any other media (CD, DVD, etc.).

ilwoo81

Jan 27, 2014
Ponga said:
Yes, you can use your Canadian address.

Yes, you should send copies (not originals) of photos, documents, etc., unless the original is required, per the document checklist.

No not send a USB drive or any other media (CD, DVD, etc.).
Do I need to be assigned as her representative to use my address and e-mail?
And for photos.
How many is enough?

Thanks again.

ilwoo81

Jan 27, 2014
Rob_TO said:
Note that if you submit an OUTLAND app, she will need to maintain her visitor or other status in Canada independent from the PR application. Normally for a visa-exempt applicant this is very easy to do so not even an issue. However with her previous overstay on record, getting a visitor status extension may not be guaranteed, even with the outland PR app submitted.

In your case you may want to consider an INLAND app with an OWP app, since that will guarantee her she can stay in Canada during entire processing time. Actually she would not be able to leave Canada at all for up to 18 months.

However I would get some feedback from posters who have submitted outland PR then applied for visitor status renewal with a recent overstay, and see if they were successful.
OWP please elaborate :)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
ilwoo81 said:
Do I need to be assigned as her representative to use my address and e-mail?
And for photos.
How many is enough?

Thanks again.
She's living with you in Canada, so it is OK to put that as her residential address. It is OK to put her address in Korea as her residential address as well, listing your address as her mailing address.
You do not need to be her representative to use your address as her mailing address. However, I found it helpful to be my husband's representative.
She can use your email.
Photos: the more suspect the relationship might appear to a visa officer, the more photos you need. If you have a lot of other proof of your relationship, and no red flags, then not too many are needed. At least include lots of photos of the wedding ceremony and honeymoon. Try to include photos proving the number of guests at the reception: for example, a shot showing everyone in the church or hall, or shots of you and your wife with each table of guests, or a printed guest list, whatever.
Then try to get informal shots showing the two of you at different places and times, and also some with each others' families and friends.
50 would probably be enough for a non-suspect couple.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ilwoo81 said:
OWP please elaborate :)
OWP = Open Work Permit. If you submit this with an INLAND PR app, after stage 1 approval (around 10 months) she will get an Open Work Permit. Applying for OWP also gives "implied status" so she is guaranteed to stay in Canada during entire processing time, and doesn't need to worry about applying for visitor extensions.

As I said, this should only be considered if you think she will have troubles extending her current status with an OUTLAND application due to previous overstay.