+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

worried a lot. checking the validity of my study permit?

jjrrabbit

Jun 17, 2015
!! Ah, i am regretting that i was too lazy to look up about this matter a bit earlier.

I took 1 year off from my study (uni) and plan to go back this September as 3rd year student.
My study permit was issued in 2013 August, and will be expired in 2017 October (as the paper says).

Because of new policy on study permit, I am afraid of if IRCC cancel my study permit already,....?!
is there any way to be able to check my study permit (online or offline or phone, whatever way) still valid or invalid?

unfortunately, IRCC websites does not clearly indicate about this matter.

I was thinking to bring this study permit when re-entering Canada this Sep.....
hope it to be still valid.. valid... :-X

scorpio1641

Apr 12, 2014
Visa Office......
VFS Cebu
App. Filed.......
16-02-2015
Med's Request
17-02-2015 / Med. Furtherance Request: 09-03-2015
Med's Done....
26-02-2015 / Furtherance Done: 10-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-07-2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2015
what new policy? Sorry I haven't been around in a while :D

You should be able to enter Canada as long as your SP is valid.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Considering schools are required to report if you era enrolled and actively studying, your permit may already be cancelled. What you should do now is something you may want to discuss with an immigration agent. Just make sure it's one that is approved by upper Canada.

jjrrabbit

Jun 17, 2015
yyzstudent said:
Considering schools are required to report if you era enrolled and actively studying, your permit may already be cancelled. What you should do now is something you may want to discuss with an immigration agent. Just make sure it's one that is approved by upper Canada.

you mean i have to go to Canada and face with an immigration officer?
or ......

I made a phone call 3 months ago to IRCC and explained my situation.
the agent simply emailed me info about re-entering Canada, which I can also find in IRCC website!!!.......

My first school date is 7th of September and my flight is also in same day.
I think i have not many days for getting new study permit......................

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your study permit has most likely been canceled which means you won't be able to start your studies when you arrive in Canada. You need to apply for a new study permit. You can go to Canada (I'm assuming you're visa exempt) but you need to verify if your study permit is still valid or not when you arrive (I would specifically ask to speak with immigration). If your study permit is no longer valid, then you'll need to apply for one and wait for approval before starting your studies.

jjrrabbit

Jun 17, 2015
scylla said:
Your study permit has most likely been canceled which means you won't be able to start your studies when you arrive in Canada. You need to apply for a new study permit. You can go to Canada (I'm assuming you're visa exempt) but you need to verify if your study permit is still valid or not when you arrive (I would specifically ask to speak with immigration). If your study permit is no longer valid, then you'll need to apply for one and wait for approval before starting your studies.
I pray pray pray my permit is still valid because mine was issued before the policy changed in June 2014...T^T...
I also have all relevant supporting documents for my leave...

However...

for the worst scenario,

If the immigration officer say i am not allowed to study with the study permit.....
Is it possible anyway to enter Canada with temporary visiting visa(maybe asking to the officer),
and to apply and wait for study permit inside Canada?
Of course for waiting time, I would not attend class..

Or do I HAVE TO leave Canada and apply study permit from outside Canada?

mucho thanks!!!

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Problem in that scenario is that the schools have a last day you can start. You need to speak to your school about it.

You've waited way too long to get this sorted out your chances are slim. The immigration officer at the border can not extend your permit or issue a new permit as the application must be done via cic first. There is no way around that.

MONTY39

Jul 28, 2016
Category........
CEC
jjrrabbit said:
I pray pray pray my permit is still valid because mine was issued before the policy changed in June 2014...T^T...
I also have all relevant supporting documents for my leave...

However...

for the worst scenario,

If the immigration officer say i am not allowed to study with the study permit.....
Is it possible anyway to enter Canada with temporary visiting visa(maybe asking to the officer),
and to apply and wait for study permit inside Canada?
Of course for waiting time, I would not attend class..

Or do I HAVE TO leave Canada and apply study permit from outside Canada?

mucho thanks!!!
The college/university must have already reported your case to CIC and your study permit must have been cancelled. Also, you informed the CIC about your situation and they would have assumed that you have discontinued your studies. Besides, how will the university allow you to re-join the final year when you skipped an year straight in between?
You will have to apply fresh even if you have a multiple entry Student Visa.
As far as OWP is concerned, its highly impossible to convince CIC on this.
Quite unfortunate but check with a good lawyer in your own country for better chances.
All the Best...

jjrrabbit

Jun 17, 2015
MONTY39 said:
The college/university must have already reported your case to CIC and your study permit must have been cancelled. Also, you informed the CIC about your situation and they would have assumed that you have discontinued your studies. Besides, how will the university allow you to re-join the final year when you skipped an year straight in between?
You will have to apply fresh even if you have a multiple entry Student Visa.
As far as OWP is concerned, its highly impossible to convince CIC on this.
Quite unfortunate but check with a good lawyer in your own country for better chances.
All the Best...

hmm Hello everyone.
I've got a new information about this matter from an agency and from CIC.

They both said that I am ok with my student visa because mine was issued before the new study permit policy in June 2014.
They said that they do not cancel my visa.
My visa status is simply changed during the time that I don't enrol the program or school.
For instance, during my leave from program I cannot be in Canada, cannot work, cannot study
and so on...
They also said, if I come back with this study permit with enough fund and enrolment letter, I can continue to study until the expiry date of the original study permit.

I also heard one person under the exactly same situation of mine.
He even took 2 years off from school. He was ok with his original study permit when he re-entered Canada.

I will go back to Canada this Sep with my original study permit.
I will repost about this after the re-entry.

Thank you all!

mynguyen90

Dec 12, 2016
Hi! I am in the same situation with you right now and I have plan to come back to my country this Jan. Is this any problems? Can you give me some advises? Thanks!