+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

World income needed for gst and hst

bian07

May 19, 2017
I just received a letter from the CRA that they need my world income for the period before I came to canada in 2019. Do I just fill out the form RC151 E (19) and send that to their tax center or do I also need to supply the paystubs I got from my workplace in my home country or any other information? They didn't really say anything specific in the letter, just that they need the info but not what I have to send.

And I did not have to say anything about my world income in my tax return, because I was a non-resident at that time still, right?

thank you in advance

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CRA need those info because they need assess how much benefits you entitle.

bian07

May 19, 2017
yeah I know, they just didnt give me any instructions on how to send it to them, but I think I figured it out. thank you tho!

cimci

Nov 26, 2018
I just received a letter from the CRA that they need my world income for the period before I came to canada in 2019. Do I just fill out the form RC151 E (19) and send that to their tax center or do I also need to supply the paystubs I got from my workplace in my home country or any other information? They didn't really say anything specific in the letter, just that they need the info but not what I have to send.

And I did not have to say anything about my world income in my tax return, because I was a non-resident at that time still, right?

thank you in advance
I am in the same situation, how did you send it?

tallguywithbeard

Dec 12, 2018
@bian07

I am just about to file the same form.
Am a little confused as to how to file the world income. I'm from India and the tax year is April - March, while here its Jan - Dec.

Do I just declare the world income that I filed in the tax return in my home country, do I have to find a special way to calculate taxable income from Jan to december?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@bian07

I am just about to file the same form.
Am a little confused as to how to file the world income. I'm from India and the tax year is April - March, while here its Jan - Dec.

Do I just declare the world income that I filed in the tax return in my home country, do I have to find a special way to calculate taxable income from Jan to december?
Yes you should try to determine your yearly income from Jan-Dec

tallguywithbeard

Dec 12, 2018
Yes you should try to determine your yearly income from Jan-Dec
So i have to calculate this manually going through my bank statements?
How do I prove the additional amounts that were received as cash but not deposited in the bank.

I had them declared as cash income in my tax statements but tax statements in my country are from April to March cycle, not Jan to December.

There is substantial cash income since most folks in my country prefer paying that way.

I can calculate everything as tedious as it may be but I am not sure how difficult it would be to prove the income if that ever needs to happen.
I don't have receipts of cash payme ts from 2 years ago. Would have assumed the official tax return forms from my country would have been sufficient proof but the tax year cycles being different have me very confused now.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How do I prove the additional amounts that were received as cash but not deposited in the bank.

I had them declared as cash income in my tax statements but tax statements in my country are from April to March cycle, not Jan to December.

There is substantial cash income since most folks in my country prefer paying that way.

I can calculate everything as tedious as it may be but I am not sure how difficult it would be to prove the income if that ever needs to happen.
I don't have receipts of cash payme ts from 2 years ago. Would have assumed the official tax return forms from my country would have been sufficient proof but the tax year cycles being different have me very confused now.
Are you saying you don't have the receipts of cash payments from April to November 2020? But you file Canadian tax returns in April to June 2021 (depending your status).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Sorry not sure how stringent CRA is when declaring cash payments for benefits. It is in your best interest to try to determine your yearly world income so you qualify for benefits.

tallguywithbeard

Dec 12, 2018
I had an income of approx $5200 in 2019 from my home country, of which about $1900 was paid in cash. I filed this total amount ($5200) in my country for the tax year April 2019- March 2020.

I arrived in Canada around mid January 2020, with all the money earned + savings and shut all of my home country's accounts in January.

I had thought I can just show the tax return statements as my proof of income, but since Canada tax year is from Jan to Dec, the calculations go haywire for me, since all my declared world income earlier is April-March.

I thankfully do have bank statements from the last 5 years, so I can do the math and make Jan - Dec calculations, but that's only for income deposited in the bank, it excludes income received as cash. I have no proof of that income in terms of receipts or invoices anymore...the only proof is that it was added to the total income declared in my first country's tax returns.

I am also not understanding now what exactly classifies as "income". Is it money earned from employment, or is it also gifts, gic deposits, mutual funds etc? Is it any and all income that has been "credited" in the bank??

And the income to be declared in the GST form, does it have to be net income or gross income?

I will be filing my tax returns in Canada in the year 2021, whenever the period for filing opens, but the GST form, i didn't know it had to be filled soon after receiving SIN... i found out this recently so am getting ready to file it now.

tallguywithbeard

Dec 12, 2018
Are you saying you don't have the receipts of cash payments from April to November 2020? But you file Canadian tax returns in April to June 2021 (depending your status).
I don't have invoices from 2019 and 2018. Did not know that they would have been required. I figured since I was moving to a new country and getting a fresh start, I did not have to retain any such details, and just a bank statement and tax return would be enough.

for 2020 January onwards, my earnings were from Canada itself, so thankfully that's a lot more straightforward to calculate.
It's the previous world income declaration that's getting confusing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had an income of approx $5200 in 2019 from my home country, of which about $1900 was paid in cash. I filed this total amount ($5200) in my country for the tax year April 2019- March 2020.

I arrived in Canada around mid January 2020, with all the money earned + savings and shut all of my home country's accounts in January.

I had thought I can just show the tax return statements as my proof of income, but since Canada tax year is from Jan to Dec, the calculations go haywire for me, since all my declared world income earlier is April-March.

I thankfully do have bank statements from the last 5 years, so I can do the math and make Jan - Dec calculations, but that's only for income deposited in the bank, it excludes income received as cash. I have no proof of that income in terms of receipts or invoices anymore...the only proof is that it was added to the total income declared in my first country's tax returns.

I am also not understanding now what exactly classifies as "income". Is it money earned from employment, or is it also gifts, gic deposits, mutual funds etc? Is it any and all income that has been "credited" in the bank??

And the income to be declared in the GST form, does it have to be net income or gross income?

I will be filing my tax returns in Canada in the year 2021, whenever the period for filing opens, but the GST form, i didn't know it had to be filled soon after receiving SIN... i found out this recently so am getting ready to file it now.
Income is any money earned from employment, investments, sale of property, etc. but not gifts.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't have invoices from 2019 and 2018. Did not know that they would have been required. I figured since I was moving to a new country and getting a fresh start, I did not have to retain any such details, and just a bank statement and tax return would be enough.

for 2020 January onwards, my earnings were from Canada itself, so thankfully that's a lot more straightforward to calculate.
It's the previous world income declaration that's getting confusing.
No need invoices for 2018-19. You just need to calculate your income in 2019.