+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working while filing for proof of citizenship

Noreene201

Aug 5, 2020
My sister and I have recently moved to Canada as settlers by birthright (our mother is a Canadian citizen) and we are in the process of filing for proof of citizenship, we would like to start working as soon as possible, but it could take between 5 months to a year for the papers to go through. Do we have to get a work permit to be able to work? If so do we have to wait in tell the citizenship paper work has been sent to start the work permit paper work? Do we need an employer ready to higher us to get a work permit or are we able to get an open work permit?
thank you for your help

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
If you're already Canadian citizens then you don't need a work permit and can't even apply for one, but you do need social insurance numbers.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My sister and I have recently moved to Canada as settlers by birthright (our mother is a Canadian citizen) and we are in the process of filing for proof of citizenship, we would like to start working as soon as possible, but it could take between 5 months to a year for the papers to go through. Do we have to get a work permit to be able to work? If so do we have to wait in tell the citizenship paper work has been sent to start the work permit paper work? Do we need an employer ready to higher us to get a work permit or are we able to get an open work permit?
thank you for your help
Until you are confirmed as Canadian citizens, you would need a work permit to be allowed to work. Unfortunately there is no special work permit for individuals in your situation.

Yes, you would need to find an employer who is willing to offer you a job, that employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA and then you would need to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

Based on the information you've provided, you don't qualify for an open work permit. Applying for citizenship does not entitle you to apply for an open work permt.

If you cannot find an employer and obtain a closed work permit, you'll have to wait until the proof of citizenship application process is completed before you'll qualify for a SIN and will be able to work.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you're already Canadian citizens then you don't need a work permit and can't even apply for one, but you do need social insurance numbers.
They won't be able to get a SIN until proof of citizenship is approved.