+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working remotely on work permit?

Rajesh.rayla

Sep 28, 2017
Folks,

I have a closed work permit for an employer in Canada. I will be travelling to my home country for a 5-6 weeks. Can I work remotely from my home country for my employer under that work permit? The employer has no issues with that.

Rajesh.rayla

Sep 28, 2017

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Folks,

I have a closed work permit for an employer in Canada. I will be travelling to my home country for a 5-6 weeks. Can I work remotely from my home country for my employer under that work permit? The employer has no issues with that.
Yes, you can work remotely while in your home country. The work permit has nothing to do with it, as it only covers work done in Canada.

Rajesh.rayla

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, you can work remotely while in your home country. The work permit has nothing to do with it, as it only covers work done in Canada.
Thanks, Sir.
But let's say when I re-enter Canada, can I tell the CBSA officer that I was working remotely for my employer for all this time? Will this be acceptable?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
With CBSA you should only answer questions asked so do not volunteer any information. Assume the primary reason for your trip is vacation so that’s all you really need to say if asked in my opinion even though CBSA might be amazed at 5-6 weeks vacation if you tell them as unlikely they will ask anyway.

These days with online access many people for whatever reason do some work remotely whilst on vacation, checking emails and so on so as per Canuck UK do not see this would be any issue anyway given vacation primary reason for trip and they do not care what you do outside Canada.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks, Sir.
But let's say when I re-enter Canada, can I tell the CBSA officer that I was working remotely for my employer for all this time? Will this be acceptable?
Again, work you do outside of Canada has nothing to do with your work permit. CBSA isn't going to ask about work you did in your home country because they don't care.

Rajesh.rayla

Sep 28, 2017
With CBSA you should only answer questions asked so do not volunteer any information. Assume the primary reason for your trip is vacation so that’s all you really need to say if asked in my opinion even though CBSA might be amazed at 5-6 weeks vacation if you tell them as unlikely they will ask anyway.

These days with online access many people for whatever reason do some work remotely whilst on vacation, checking emails and so on so as per Canuck UK do not see this would be any issue anyway given vacation primary reason for trip and they do not care what you do outside Canada.
Sounds good. Thanks, Sir. So I assume that I preferably won't be refused an entry because of that.

Rajesh.rayla

Sep 28, 2017
Again, work you do outside of Canada has nothing to do with your work permit. CBSA isn't going to ask about work you did in your home country because they don't care.
Okay. One more question, can I do the re-entry from Montreal airport or I must go through Toronto only?

Rajesh.rayla

Sep 28, 2017

The same question to you as well. Can I enter through Montreal now or must I go through Toronto only? Your inputs are very helpful, @canuck_in_uk and @Bs65

Eddie7132

Mar 5, 2019
Hi, I am temporary worker in Quebec with a closed work permit. I plan to leave my job and begin working remotely for a company in the UK ( no Canadian clients or projects ). Does anyone know if there is any legal issue with this plan? Any help would be great, Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I am temporary worker in Quebec with a closed work permit. I plan to leave my job and begin working remotely for a company in the UK ( no Canadian clients or projects ). Does anyone know if there is any legal issue with this plan? Any help would be great, Thanks
No issues - yes, it's legal.

Reactions: Psyer and Eddie7132

Eddie7132

Mar 5, 2019
No issues - yes, it's legal.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Thats promising news, so there will be no issues working from home from a uk company? What about my taxes? im sure i will be paying tax in the uk but what about Canada ( using money earned in the UK in Canada )
Thanks again!!

Reactions: Psyer