+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working permit for internship?

mmphoto

Oct 27, 2011
I want to start an co-op programm in canada with a language school and an unpaid internship.
Do I need a extra working permit beside my study permit?

My agency says I only need the study permit but in different sources I read that you need also a working permit.

Hopefully somebody can help me...

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mmphoto said:
I want to start an co-op programm in canada with a language school and an unpaid internship.
Do I need a extra working permit beside my study permit?

My agency says I only need the study permit but in different sources read that you need also a working permit.

Hopefully somebody can help me...

Hi,

Yes you need a work permit. It does not matter even if it’s unpaid one.

I quote CIC website;

• You must have a valid study permit.
• Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
• Your employment must be part of your academic program, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
• Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50 percent of the total program of study.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-coop.asp

mmphoto

Oct 27, 2011
thanks for your reply! :]
so do I have to fill in and pay the fees for a working permit?
or does it work automaticly when I apply for the study permit and include the letter of acceptance of my language school?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mmphoto said:
thanks for your reply! :]
so do I have to fill in and pay the fees for a working permit?
or does it work automaticly when I apply for the study permit and include the letter of acceptance of my language school?
Hi,

Both are different things/process. You have to apply separately for your co-op/internship work permit, and of course you have to pay some fee.

You can find all required application, procedure and fee details on the CIC website. In my above post, I have posted one link to the same.

mmphoto

Oct 27, 2011
ok. that is actually pretty strange. a friend of mine who did exactly the same programme only applied for the study permit.
in the letter of acceptance of his language school was explained that he will work during his study and whatever.
when he arrived at the airport in vancouver he got in addition to his study permit also the working permit. the working permit is restricted for unpaid internship only. i don´t know what i should do now. because my agency is not sure about it and it is not possible to contact the canadian embassy to ask them.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mmphoto said:
ok. that is actually pretty strange. a friend of mine who did exactly the same programme only applied for the study permit.
in the letter of acceptance of his language school was explained that he will work during his study and whatever.
when he arrived at the airport in vancouver he got in addition to his study permit also the working permit. the working permit is restricted for unpaid internship only. i don´t know what i should do now. because my agency is not sure about it and it is not possible to contact the canadian embassy to ask them.
Hi,

1. How is it possible to have co-op work permit without first having a valid study permit in your hand ?

2. Who shall issue co-op work permit? You are saying it's someone on airport, I always used to think that the same is issued by the 'Case Processing Center, Vegreville, Alberta'.

Refer CIC website. www.cic.gc.ca for the exact procedure.

*There is NO PROCESSING FEE for co-op/internship work permit.

*You must have a valid study permit before you put off application for co-op/internship work permit.

mmphoto

Oct 27, 2011
1. It is a special co-op programm for 6 months at all. You go to an language school for 3 months and work 3 months in an unpaid internship. I just read the conditions of the school again. There is written that you only need a study permit, because the working period is as long as the study period or less. so you don´t need a working permit but it is possible that you´ll receive also the working permit with the restriction for unpaid internships.

2. in the case of my friend it was issued by the immigration officer at the airport. he applied online from germany and received an letter of the canadian emassy with a special barcode. the immigration officer scanned it and issued him the study and working permit.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mmphoto said:
1. It is a special co-op programm for 6 months at all. You go to an language school for 3 months and work 3 months in an unpaid internship. I just read the conditions of the school again. There is written that you only need a study permit, because the working period is as long as the study period or less. so you don´t need a working permit but it is possible that you´ll receive also the working permit with the restriction for unpaid internships.

2. in the case of my friend it was issued by the immigration officer at the airport. he applied online from germany and received an letter of the canadian emassy with a special barcode. the immigration officer scanned it and issued him the study and working permit.
Hi,

As per rules, you do not need a study permit for courses in Canada that lasts 6 months or less. Possibly this is the reason for getting co-op work permit at the Airport. Otherwise, the general process is to apply for co-op work permit at Case Processing Center, Alberta.

mmphoto

Oct 27, 2011
ah ok. thank you :]

so you need the study permit only when you want to study longer than 6 months?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mmphoto said:
ah ok. thank you :]

so you need the study permit only when you want to study longer than 6 months?
Hi,

Yes.

However, it's better to apply for a study permit even for courses that lasts 6 months or less because you may like to continue/switch over to another program once you complete your first program.

In your case, you should apply for a study permit. After that, for a co-op work permit possibly at the Airport. (I am still not sure if co-op work permit can be issued at the Airport), but since you have a good example of your friend, so you can follow it.

keep in mind, for a co-op work permit, you MUST have a valid study permit. So, possibly it's a must in your case.

mmphoto

Oct 27, 2011
ok thank you so much :]

i will finish my application now and then i hope to get my visa.

thanks again :]

SMProduction

Mar 23, 2013
Hey mmphoto!

I am exactly doing the same program!! :) Can you please tell me how it went?
Did you apply for a student permit with your letter of acceptance and then receive a work permit at the airport in Canada??

Would be really grateful if you could get back to me!!

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

enfield said:
Hi,

Yes.

However, it's better to apply for a study permit even for courses that lasts 6 months or less because you may like to continue/switch over to another program once you complete your first program.

In your case, you should apply for a study permit. After that, for a co-op work permit possibly at the Airport. (I am still not sure if co-op work permit can be issued at the Airport), but since you have a good example of your friend, so you can follow it.

keep in mind, for a co-op work permit, you MUST have a valid study permit. So, possibly it's a must in your case.

Correction: You get a Co-op work permit at the port if the requirement is mentioned in your LOA. You can also apply later on with no processing fees.