+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working outside Canada under contract and ability to fulfill PR obligation

herculepirate

May 4, 2015
Hello.

I landed in Canada in July 2015 and 15 days and left back to the country where I had a job.
I made a permanent move to Alberta one year later in Aug 2016. The employment situation in AB was not good so my family stayed back in AB, Canada and I found contract employment outside Canada.

Since I am on contract employment outside Canada, can I setup a contracting company in Canada or be subcontracted to a company based in Canada and manage to log the time spent outside the country towards my PR residency time spent obligations. ?
I know that if a company based in Canada sends you on a trip outside Canada then the time spent is possible to be counted.

Can the contracting company approach be used to log my time for PR purposes ?

Thanks

HP

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - this won't be accepted. CIC views this as attempting to cheat the system by setting up a company for the sole purpose of maintaining PR status. If it was that easy, everyone would do it and never have to live in Canada to fulfill their PR obligation.

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
herculepirate said:
Hello.

I landed in Canada in July 2015 and 15 days and left back to the country where I had a job.
I made a permanent move to Alberta one year later in Aug 2016. The employment situation in AB was not good so my family stayed back in AB, Canada and I found contract employment outside Canada.

Since I am on contract employment outside Canada, can I setup a contracting company in Canada or be subcontracted to a company based in Canada and manage to log the time spent outside the country towards my PR residency time spent obligations. ?
I know that if a company based in Canada sends you on a trip outside Canada then the time spent is possible to be counted.

Can the contracting company approach be used to log my time for PR purposes ?

Thanks

HP
Not only illegal, but what you do is useless. Canada charge tax for foreign workers working outside Canada anyway, if the mother company is in Canada. The tax rate is at least around 40%.

betty1

Star Member
Mar 19, 2014
Will the author's family able to apply for renewal PR status or citizenship, in case if he failed to meet the requirements? Because as far as I understood family members are living in Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
betty1 said:
Will the author's family able to apply for renewal PR status or citizenship, in case if he failed to meet the requirements? Because as far as I understood family members are living in Canada.
The OPs status will have no impact on any other family members.

Maintaining residency obligation is an individuals responsibility not a family responsibility so as long as the family members (even excluding the OP) maintain their residency obligations and any citizenship requirements residing in the country what the OP does has no impact on them even if the OP chooses to fail..

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
Bs65 said:
The OPs status will have no impact on any other family members.

Maintaining residency obligation is an individuals responsibility not a family responsibility so as long as the family members (even excluding the OP) maintain their residency obligations and any citizenship requirements residing in the country what the OP does has no impact on them even if the OP chooses to fail..
You may need to denounce your PR while your family is in Canada, if you want to avoid paying tax. Having spouse/children in Canada, while the person works outside, means that the person is actually a tax resident. Having spouse/children in Canada is your primary residential tie, meaning that you are still related to Canada. Even if you do not stay in Canada, you still need to pay tax to Canada (I know that it is unfair). Perhaps you want to talk to a tax accountant in Canada before deciding to work outside, because you may end up needing to pay tax anyway even if you do not spend a day in Canada.