+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in India Remotely after shifting to Canada

Parama

Star Member
Mar 9, 2018
Hi

I have PR for a particular state in Canada and shall be shifting in Sep 22. My office in India is willing to give me work from home for one more quarter. That will help me settle in Canada and my husband will also get sometime to get his job.

Also my status will still not be NRI as my tenure of stay outside India would not have exceeded 180 days

Can anyone help me if this is doable and what declaration and taxes am liable to pay there. Also is it more beneficial to continue as consultant or an employee in India

Thanks in Advance

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Canada doesn’t have states. It has provinces. You must claim your worldwide income when filling canadian taxes. Suggest talking to an accountant or tax advisor next year when you file taxes for the first time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I have PR for a particular state in Canada and shall be shifting in Sep 22. My office in India is willing to give me work from home for one more quarter. That will help me settle in Canada and my husband will also get sometime to get his job.

Also my status will still not be NRI as my tenure of stay outside India would not have exceeded 180 days

Can anyone help me if this is doable and what declaration and taxes am liable to pay there. Also is it more beneficial to continue as consultant or an employee in India

Thanks in Advance
Does the employer have Canadian offices?

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
Hi

Thanks in Advance
Jumping in late here. Should be fine if act as a consultant. There are potential issues if you remain an employee of your company in India (e.g., they'd need to adhere to Canadian labor laws, possibly pay Canadian taxes, etc.)