+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in another province while federal application as Quebec skilled worker is in progress.

mmemoli

Sep 7, 2017
I have been living and working Montreal for five years.
After obtaining the CSQ, almost a year ago I have applied for permanent residency under the skilled worker in Quebec program. I am awaiting for the final decision.
I have come across a really good opportunity in British Columbia. I have been offered a two months contract. The company will take care of providing the work permit and the company I am currently working for and holding a work permit in Montreal is very keen on letting me take two months of unpaid leave. I was wondering if leaving for a short period to another province would jeopardize my application for permanent residency in QC.
I was wondering if anybody had this issue and can advise.

Regards
Maurizio

Reactions: boblast

boblast

Star Member
Mar 28, 2017
I have been living and working Montreal for five years.
After obtaining the CSQ, almost a year ago I have applied for permanent residency under the skilled worker in Quebec program. I am awaiting for the final decision.
I have come across a really good opportunity in British Columbia. I have been offered a two months contract. The company will take care of providing the work permit and the company I am currently working for and holding a work permit in Montreal is very keen on letting me take two months of unpaid leave. I was wondering if leaving for a short period to another province would jeopardize my application for permanent residency in QC.
I was wondering if anybody had this issue and can advise.

Regards
Maurizio
I think it is fine. You are still a temporary resident by law :)

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
It should be OK as long as you are only "temporarily" moving out of Quebec while maintaining "permanent" address in Quebec.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks for replying. Request Letter must have clean instructions on how they want you to submit documents. What did Request letter say?

Sundar2019

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Hi, A week ago i received my CSQ (I was a victim of bill-9 and had to refile my appln via arrima), however my employer had also filed for a WP few months ago (ICT) and the work location mentioned was Toronto (i.e my employer's branch location in Canada). I would like to understand if me being a CSQ holder now would have any impact on the WP approval for a different location/province (Toronto, Ontorio in this case) or would it have any other possible influence in decision making even with my PR..? I'm yet to submit my application for PR via QSW

Is it fine to process a WP for another province when you hold a CSQ? Im wondering if i should talk to my employer to change the location or would there be an option to update location post WP approval ? Im not sure if there is an option to update location (possibly to a location in Quebec) while the application is being processed...if yes, how to do it.

Appreciate your advise or any pointers in this matter! This is critical and urgent...

Thanks & Regards,
Sundar

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hi, A week ago i received my CSQ (I was a victim of bill-9 and had to refile my appln via arrima), however my employer had also filed for a WP few months ago (ICT) and the work location mentioned was Toronto (i.e my employer's branch location in Canada). I would like to understand if me being a CSQ holder now would have any impact on the WP approval for a different location/province (Toronto, Ontorio in this case) or would it have any other possible influence in decision making even with my PR..? I'm yet to submit my application for PR via QSW

Is it fine to process a WP for another province when you hold a CSQ? Im wondering if i should talk to my employer to change the location or would there be an option to update location post WP approval ? Im not sure if there is an option to update location (possibly to a location in Quebec) while the application is being processed...if yes, how to do it.

Appreciate your advise or any pointers in this matter! This is critical and urgent...

Thanks & Regards,
Sundar
A wp has no adverse impact because of csq. Only for federal you got to cancel it or it maybe cancelled (read somewhere, not very sure) by Ircc.
You can go ahead with your wp application as such and its good for as you may have enough points for CEC and don't have to prove your intention to reside outside Quebec anymore. Faster processing and Peace of leaving a never ending pr process in Quebec.

All the best.

Sundar2019

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
A wp has no adverse impact because of csq. Only for federal you got to cancel it or it maybe cancelled (read somewhere, not very sure) by Ircc.
You can go ahead with your wp application as such and its good for as you may have enough points for CEC and don't have to prove your intention to reside outside Quebec anymore. Faster processing and Peace of leaving a never ending pr process in Quebec.

All the best.
Thanks for the prompt response!

So, i don't even need to discuss with my employer to cancel/pull-back my application and modify the location because i have a CSQ now, right?

Can i also simultaneously file for PR via QSW? or should i wait until my WP is approved then file for PR? Please advise

Regards,

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Thanks for the prompt response!

So, i don't even need to discuss with my employer to cancel/pull-back my application and modify the location because i have a CSQ now, right?

Can i also simultaneously file for PR via QSW? or should i wait until my WP is approved then file for PR? Please advise

Regards,
No issues in filing wp as such.

If I am in your shoes, I would go for wp first and if my CRS score is 450+ I would opt for CEC rather than pr through qsw which because of quota cut has 2+ year minimum timeline, CEC whole process may take less than a year.

Since you would be applying for qsw outside Quebec, I am not sure how that would be treated. Someone here can tell you better.

All the best.

Sundar2019

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
No issues in filing wp as such.

If I am in your shoes, I would go for wp first and if my CRS score is 450+ I would opt for CEC rather than pr through qsw which because of quota cut has 2+ year minimum timeline, CEC whole process may take less than a year.

Since you would be applying for qsw outside Quebec, I am not sure how that would be treated. Someone here can tell you better.

All the best.
Thanks again!

My CRS score is lesser and that is one of the reasons i picked the CSQ route, as i worked from Montreal for more than a year & that is when i applied for CSQ. Now, i have the CSQ, im hoping to find a project within Quebec through my current employer. So, if all go well & WP (ICT) gets approved, i might probably change the work location in my WP to a place like Montreal (hope there are provisions to do that), find a project & work from there and get my PR processed in parallel via QSW. Fingers crossed!

Regards,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks again!

My CRS score is lesser and that is one of the reasons i picked the CSQ route, as i worked from Montreal for more than a year & that is when i applied for CSQ. Now, i have the CSQ, im hoping to find a project within Quebec through my current employer. So, if all go well & WP (ICT) gets approved, i might probably change the work location in my WP to a place like Montreal (hope there are provisions to do that), find a project & work from there and get my PR processed in parallel via QSW. Fingers crossed!

Regards,
You are going to run into problems living outside Quebec. I would be much better if you were working and living in Quebec. Do you speak French?

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
You are going to run into problems living outside Quebec. I would be much better if you were working and living in Quebec. Do you speak French?
He's already got csq so no need to prove french for qsw. He intends to transfer to Montreal through his employer which helps him in his Qsw application.