+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working before Implied Status

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
My situation is, i graduated college end of April 2018, and started working full time May 22 2018.

I was waiting for my completion letter from the school so i couldnt apply for PGWP until June 19 2018 (there was a huge delay on that)

So i was technically working full-time without authorization for almost a month (i was only allowed to work part time, which i wasnt aware of until now)

Now im about to apply for my PR, and worried how I should approach it

Should i not declare it ( since i'm not claiming points for it)? or should i write an explanation letter to the officer?

Please help, thank you!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
My situation is, i graduated college end of April 2018, and started working full time May 22 2018.

I was waiting for my completion letter from the school so i couldnt apply for PGWP until June 19 2018 (there was a huge delay on that)

I really don't understand this, even though I have seen others discuss this as well. How can you receive notice of eligibility to graduate AFTER you have graduated? There should be some letter BEFORE you graduate. IRCC changed from requiring (as proof of graduation) the degree/diploma, because so many had to wait several months to attend their convocation and receive their degree/diploma (meaning, the letter would come BEFORE graduation). Now people are supposedly graduating before being approved for graduation. I don't get it. :)

In any case, you're not the only one with this issue. You can't count the unauthorized experience and should not include it in your profile, but in your eAPR you will have to give the full dates of employment in your personal history, and provide a letter of explanation.

Reactions: cappyoh

nancystr

May 22, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
App. Filed.......
10-16-2019
AOR Received.
10-16-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019

So i was technically working full-time without authorization for almost a month (i was only allowed to work part time, which i wasnt aware of until now)

Now im about to apply for my PR, and worried how I should approach it

Should i not declare it ( since i'm not claiming points for it)? or should i write an explanation letter to the officer?

Please help, thank you!
I'm in the exact same boat - didn't know I could only work for 20 hours and instead I worked for 35 hrs for 2 weeks before applying for my PGWP as I was waiting for my graduation completion letter... I'm also going to put it in my Personal section instead of my work experience but don't know how to bring this up in a LOE. :(

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Sorry, i shouldn't have said "graduated", my program ended end of April, but i didnt get my completion letter until June 15 2018 (a requirement to apply for Post Graduation Work Permit) because there was a huge delay back then.
-And yes, i will not count that for my experience. However, im worried that it will affect my application.

Reactions: jes_ON

nancystr

May 22, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
App. Filed.......
10-16-2019
AOR Received.
10-16-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Sorry, i shouldve have said "graduated", my program ended end of April, but i didnt get my completion letter until June 15 2018 (a requirement to apply for Post Graduation Work Permit) because there was a huge delay back then.
-And yes, i will not count that for my experience. However, im worried that it may affect my application or not.
Mine took forever to arrive too and I even completed my internship early, but still nothing. I had the application all ready to go and submitted the day I received my completion letter, so I started working then on implied status... but really worried about the 2 weeks before. I don't think I mentioned it in my work experience section either as I'd just started working there and don't remember updating my application.

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Mine took forever to arrive too and I even completed my internship early, but still nothing. I had the application all ready to go and submitted the day I received my completion letter, so I started working then on implied status... but really worried about the 2 weeks before. I don't think I mentioned it in my work experience section either as I'd just started working there and don't remember updating my application.
Mine took 6- 7 weeks, i had to email them. And yes im terrified. I was about to apply for my PR yesterday (1 yr since i started working), but then i found out that i was working without authorization, bummer :( Now i dont know what to do. Never "broke" the law before. It's devastating.

Reactions: nancystr

nancystr

May 22, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
App. Filed.......
10-16-2019
AOR Received.
10-16-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Mine took 6- 7 weeks, i had to email them. And yes im terrified. I was about to apply for my PR yesterday (1 yr since i started working), but then i found out that i was working without authorization, bummer :( Now i dont know what to do. Never "broke" the law before. It's devastating.
Same! I've been here since 2015 and have never gone against my permits/worked without authorisation before... Really hopping that they overlook this as it's only a few weeks of work that we did... Are you putting a LOE together? I've heard that it's best practice to beg them for forgiveness but don't know how best to do it! Whole future depends on this. :(

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Same! I've been here since 2015 and have never gone against my permits/worked without authorisation before... Really hopping that they overlook this as it's only a few weeks of work that we did... Are you putting a LOE together? I've heard that it's best practice to beg them for forgiveness but don't know how best to do it! Whole future depends on this. :(
-I dont know how im gonna do this yet...... That's why im trying to get opinions from senior members here.
- im leaning towards writing an explanation letter tho. I have one month to decide....
-Let me know what your decision is!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
- Acknowledge your error,
- explain how it happened (if there are enough of you, eventually IRCC will clarify the rules (which they recently did) or change the rules)
- explain that you understand what happened was wrong, and reassure them it won't happen again

OR - don't acknowledge your error, and let IRCC assume you will do it again.

The choice is yours. But again - this has happened to A LOT of applicants, and the only ones who are not forgiven are the ones who claim the unauthorized experience and/or don't acknowledge their error ...

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
- Acknowledge your error,
- explain how it happened (if there are enough of you, eventually IRCC will clarify the rules (which they recently did) or change the rules)
- explain that you understand what happened was wrong, and reassure them it won't happen again

OR - don't acknowledge your error, and let IRCC assume you will do it again.

The choice is yours. But again - this has happened to A LOT of applicants, and the only ones who are not forgiven are the ones who claim the unauthorized experience and/or don't acknowledge their error ...
Thank you for your advice. I will probably do that.

And just one more question, i'm just wondering if you know of any cases like this that have their application approved? or rejected? and how it came down?

I've just been getting mixed messages from friends and i really need your expertise on this!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you for your advice. I will probably do that.

And just one more question, i'm just wondering if you know of any cases like this that have their application approved? or rejected? and how it came down?

I've just been getting mixed messages from friends and i really need your expertise on this!

Thanks again!

There are dozens of cases posted in this forum every week. EXTREMELY common issue.

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
There are dozens of cases posted in this forum every week. EXTREMELY common issue.
Hi Jes_ON, sorry i just came up with another question, i just dont have much knowledge about the application process.
- So on my reference letter for my employment history that will be signed by my employer, should i put the start date as May 22 or June 19 (the day i applied for Post Grad Work Permit)
- So far i know that i will put June 19 as work history and May 22 as my personal history and a explanation letter has to come with it

Thanks again for your advice and please correct me if i got anything wrong!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Jes_ON, sorry i just came up with another question, i just dont have much knowledge about the application process.
- So on my reference letter for my employment history that will be signed by my employer, should i put the start date as May 22 or June 19 (the day i applied for Post Grad Work Permit)
The letter should be truthful. If the letter contradicts the rest of your application, then credibility of any of it becomes an issue.

- So far i know that i will put June 19 as work history and May 22 as my personal history and a explanation letter has to come with it
That is what I would suggest...

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
-Yes the letter will sure be truthful, im just not sure what date to put there. Putting 2 dates in the letter of reference may be too confusing and excessive since i will explain again in my explanation letter?
- I will explain everything in detail in my explanation letter (why i put may 22 or June 19 in my employment letter of reference).

-I will greatly appreciate your insights