+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working before applying for PGWP

Majorie

Apr 13, 2016
I am current done with my program will be graduating in June. I read on cic that if I have an off-campus work permit I can go ahead and work and this can be full time. My off-campus permit allows me to work full time during school breaks. Now that I am done, I got a job offer for a full time position which I have accepted. Although I will be applying for a Post Graduate Work Permit in June, will this affect me? I am aware that once I put in an application for the PGWP I can continue working full time.

Any advise or experience with this is deeply welcomed and appreciated.

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Hey can you share your experience please? Did you work after graduation and before applying for PGWP?

bryheartpizza

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-04-2021
AOR Received.
02-04-2021
Passport Req..
14-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
02-08-2016
Sadly, you can't.

"You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student during an academic session." -- http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
bryheartpizza said:
Sadly, you can't.

"You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student during an academic session." -- http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp
Not sure that is exactly true see section 186 V/W in this link http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html

It reads as though if a student has completed their course and applied for a PGWP before the expiry of the study permit they can work pending a decision on the PGWP application. The main point is that the student must have applied for the PGWP before starting work post study, the work part of the study permit wont cover it on its own merits.

Others can comment/ correct if incorrect reading

bryheartpizza

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-04-2021
AOR Received.
02-04-2021
Passport Req..
14-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
02-08-2016
Bs65 said:
Not sure that is exactly true see section 186 V/W in this link http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html

It reads as though if a student has completed their course and applied for a PGWP before the expiry of the study permit they can work pending a decision on the PGWP application. The main point is that the student must have applied for the PGWP before starting work post study, the work part of the study permit wont cover it on its own merits.

Ohhh. Missed that. Thanks for pointing it out

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was exactly in the same situation and I called CIC and they said one can't work after studies unless they applied for their work permit. So i didn't start work and waited for my offical transcript to come out and then later I did flag-polling. and you can get your WP within 40 minutes.
Bs65 said:

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Thank you so much, all. Its not worth risking this in any case. I will wait till I have applied for PGWP to work.

sam06

Aug 7, 2017
I was exactly in the same situation and I called CIC and they said one can't work after studies unless they applied for their work permit. So i didn't start work and waited for my offical transcript to come out and then later I did flag-polling. and you can get your WP within 40 minutes.
Hey,
I just wanted to know does the visa person asks questions during flag polling. I just did 1.5 yrs masters so I am afraid they'd give lower years work permit. Or should I just apply online?

am244

Oct 21, 2019
Hello,
Have anyone made this mistake of starting full-time work (while waiting for notice of completion of studies letter from university) but before submitting a PGWP application? What was the result? Does it affect PR application or makes it inadmissible?

Reactions: lmorelato

lmorelato

Apr 6, 2019
Hello,
Have anyone made this mistake of starting full-time work (while waiting for notice of completion of studies letter from university) but before submitting a PGWP application? What was the result? Does it affect PR application or makes it inadmissible?
I'm on the same scenario, now I'm gonna apply for PR and I have the same question....

bgpatel

Star Member
May 7, 2019
I'm on the same scenario, now I'm gonna apply for PR and I have the same question....
I did same. In 2017, I started full time work next day my exam finished. And applied Pgwp after 1 month.

I will be applying for PR soon. Do you have any suggestions what should I do?

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
I did same. In 2017, I started full time work next day my exam finished. And applied Pgwp after 1 month.

I will be applying for PR soon. Do you have any suggestions what should I do?
did you get the pgwp back then despite working illegally?

bgpatel

Star Member
May 7, 2019
did you get the pgwp back then despite working illegally?
Yes. I had no problems with the PGWP.
The fact is that I was working as a part time while studying. Since I was allowed to work full-time between breaks as long as I am not studying. So I thought it is the same as working after completion of study.
Also, I got the job offer while I was on the last semester. If I hadn't accept the offer they would have offered to another student.
But if I knew I wasn't supposed to work after study and before applying PGWP, I definitely would not have started working untill I apply PGWP. My bad.

Last edited: