+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working before applying for a PGWP

vinpat

Apr 25, 2016
So I finished a PhD from a top Canadian university in December 2014 and started a PostDoc at the same university in January 2014.

I'd asked the university immigration expert for guidance in the matter and she'd said I could start working as long as I applied for a PGWP within 3 months. So my timeline was as follows:

Finish PhD - December 2014
Start PostDoc at the same university - January 2015
Apply for a PGWP - Early March.

I've been reading up a lot recently about canadian immigration and it seems that you can only work after applying for the PGWP. So questions:

1) Did I work illegally in January and February? Maybe a PostDoc is considered "on campus" work and is fine?
2) If it was indeed illegal, what's the penalty exactly?

MedicStudent

Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) I guess you did work illegally since that you weren't enrolled as a student anymore and you hadn't applied for your PGWP.

2) The penalty can be a PGWP refusal,having to leave Canada, being refused entry for a certain amount of time and others...

I suggest you should consult with an immigration lawyer to see your options if your PGWP gets refused.

jimmy102010

May 31, 2017
So I finished a PhD from a top Canadian university in December 2014 and started a PostDoc at the same university in January 2014.

I'd asked the university immigration expert for guidance in the matter and she'd said I could start working as long as I applied for a PGWP within 3 months. So my timeline was as follows:

Finish PhD - December 2014
Start PostDoc at the same university - January 2015
Apply for a PGWP - Early March.

I've been reading up a lot recently about canadian immigration and it seems that you can only work after applying for the PGWP. So questions:

1) Did I work illegally in January and February? Maybe a PostDoc is considered "on campus" work and is fine?
2) If it was indeed illegal, what's the penalty exactly?
Hey i was wondering if you were approved for the pgwp?