+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working as a contractor in Canada having no work permit

Julia2203

May 9, 2024
Hi,

I am about to finish my temporary employment on a work visa (restricted to the specific job position) in Canada and am still waiting for the final decision on my permanent residency (PR).
My work visa only expires in July and thereafter I am allowed to stay in Canada until I get the final decision on the PR.
I am wondering if I could work as a contractor in Canada while waiting for the PR?

Thanks,
Julia

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I am about to finish my temporary employment on a work visa (restricted to the specific job position) in Canada and am still waiting for the final decision on my permanent residency (PR).
My work visa only expires in July and thereafter I am allowed to stay in Canada until I get the final decision on the PR.
I am wondering if I could work as a contractor in Canada while waiting for the PR?

Thanks,
Julia
You need to be holding an open work permit to work as a contractor in Canada while you wait for PR. You should indicate how you have applied for PR. Simply applying for PR generally does not allow you to remain in Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

Julia2203

May 9, 2024
Thanks! I applied through the skilled worker express entry and got an invitation last year, now I am waiting for the final decision. I know that there is a bridging visa that is like a temporary open work permit and would be required for employment. I just wasn't sure whether that also applies to the work as a contractor.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks! I applied through the skilled worker express entry and got an invitation last year, now I am waiting for the final decision. I know that there is a bridging visa that is like a temporary open work permit and would be required for employment. I just wasn't sure whether that also applies to the work as a contractor.
If your PR application allows for a bridging open work permit, then apply for that BOWP. You need a work permit to work as a contractor.