+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WORK VISA based on LMIA expired.....valid for express entry?

footdoc

Jan 8, 2015
Hello

I have been working in Canada since Nov 2013, an LMIA was issued for the VISA.

I am now submitting to express entry... even though the LMIA for my visa expired is it still valid? I am continuing in the same work position plus after after I gain PR.
Do I need a fresh LMIA?
Confused!

Hope you can help or direct me to the correct information.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
footdoc said:
Hello

I am now submitting to express entry... even though the LMIA for my visa expired is it still valid? I am continuing in the same work position plus after after I gain PR.
Do I need a fresh LMIA?
Confused!

No. you don't need a fresh LMIA.
If your present work permit is issued based on the LMIA back in Nov 2013, you are good to get 600 points. I guess, the LMIA expiry date you are taking about is LMIA/LMO opinion expiry date.

Source :
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-12-01.asp#15

15. Can an employer who currently employs a temporary foreign worker (TFW) use Express Entry to support their application for permanent residence?

Yes. As long as the TFW is in Canada working under a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), you can offer them a permanent job to support their application for permanent residence. Your TFW would have to create an Express Entry profile and include their job offer information. A job offer supported by an LMIA will give a candidate enough additional points and be ranked high enough to be invited to apply at the next eligible round of invitations.

If you are considering permanently hiring a TFW and you do not have a positive LMIA for the job, you will first need to make every effort to try and find a Canadian or permanent resident to fill the job opportunity. You will need to meet LMIA requirements, including posting your job ad on Employment and Social Development Canada's (ESDC) Job Bank in addition to advertising in two other places. If you have done this and have been unsuccessful in filling your job opportunity, you can apply for an LMIA for the TFW through Service Canada. The TFW would then have to create an Express Entry profile, meet the minimum criteria and include their job offer information so they get enough additional points and be ranked high enough to be invited to apply at the next eligible round of invitations.

bud_weiser

Jan 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Jan
Doc's Request.
22 Feb
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
22 Feb
IELTS Request
Submitted EE upload
File Transfer...
1 may
Med's Request
20 February done and submitted by doctors
Med's Done....
21 May Changed Mycic
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
4 June, passports sent 5 june
VISA ISSUED...
10 June
LANDED..........
applied from within Canada landed 20 June 2015
footdoc said:
Hello

Do I need a fresh LMIA?
Confused!

Yup you good as long as your WP is valid mine was accepted on that basis

stak

Star Member
Apr 2, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have similar question..I was in canada during 2012-2013 on LMObased work permit and for some reason,I went to back my own country.

In 2014 again,I came back to canada on ICT visa and currently still currently working on same work permit.

I have submitted my EE application recently and i dont see 600 points in my profile as my on ICT work permit currently.

Not sure whether i eligible for 600 points ?

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
stak said:
I have similar question..I was in canada during 2012-2013 on LMObased work permit and for some reason,I went to back my own country.

In 2014 again,I came back to canada on ICT visa and currently still currently working on same work permit.

I have submitted my EE application recently and i dont see 600 points in my profile as my on ICT work permit currently.

Not sure whether i eligible for 600 points ?
You aren't eligible as your work permit expired which is based out of LMIA.
But I am guessing you have a good score as you have Canadian experience.

ra_delacruz05

May 17, 2015
I have a similar query. I already made an Express Entry profile which says that I met CEC and Federal Skilled Trade programs. However, I have my worries because the last draw minimum required points was 755. I got 745. :( My work permit which is based on LMO will be expired this June 16, 2015. Will there be any chance that I'd be invited for PR? Will my points be affected if ever my work permit expires? Or will the application be based on the expiry of the EE profile? I hope someone could answer my questions. I am really frustrated with the last draw. :(