+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work reference letter dilemma

calgal90

Star Member
Jan 15, 2020
Hi All,

I received a NOI in the last tech draw. I luckily already have reference letters from 3 past employers, but not my current employer (where I have been employed for the last 3 years).

I don't particularly want to ask my current employer for a reference letter because I am concerned that it will negatively impact my career prospects at the organisation. In addition, I know that I am a valued employee so they might panic when they hear I want to leave.

In this situation, do you think it will be sufficient to provide:
1. A letter of explanation explaining why I am hesitant to ask for a reference letter.
2. A letter from a colleague outlining the duties I performed while working with him. This is a colleague that I have worked with on multiple projects and have a good relationship with.
3. A job description for my current job on the company letter head.
4. My employment contract
5. Payslips (first 3 months, last 3 months).
6. Bank statements showing my salary come into my account (first 3 months, last 3 months)
7. Increase / bonus letters (I don't have all, but I have most, especially the most recent ones).
8. Tax returns
9. A photo of my company access card.

Has anyone been in this specific situation (not comfortable to ask HR or your supervisor for a reference letter)? And was this accepted?