+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit - what would be next?

Gokulcanada

Jan 9, 2013
Hi,

I have the following scenario, i like to know what would be next in process.

I have finished my Masters and worked in PGWP and later got closed work permit with employer for a year.
Before getting closed work permit, i have applied CEC, now my question is that, if i need to change employer or if my closed work permit expires, Can i able to extend/get open work permit with my AOR?

Please clarify in detail.
thanks in advance.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If your current work permit will expire within 4 months and you have already received your AOR, you may apply for a bridging open work permit -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2012-12-17.asp

Gokulcanada

Jan 9, 2013
Thanks for your reply. Another doubt, What happens if i need to change the employer when am in closed work permit but still has the expiration date for another year.?

Can i still get/apply the open work permit with AOR?

Just curious to know how many months/yesrs will i get the closed work permit when applied after getting AOR?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Gokulcanada said:
Thanks for your reply. Another doubt, What happens if i need to change the employer when am in closed work permit but still has the expiration date for another year.?

Can i still get/apply the open work permit with AOR?

Unfortunately, no. You would have to find a new employer and get a new LMO before you could apply for a new (closed) work permit, in that case.

Just curious to know how many months/yesrs will i get the closed work permit when applied after getting AOR?

??? You mean, the bridging OPEN work permit? Those are issued for 1 year.

Gokulcanada

Jan 9, 2013
Thanks JES for your reply.

If i understand correctly, in that scenario where (if i need to change the employer when am in closed work permit but still has the expiration date for another year.?), to avoid LMO with new employer and also if my closed work permit gonna expire in 4 months, i can apply for open work permit with AOR at that time right?

Can you please clarify.

Thanks in advance.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gokulcanada said:
Thanks JES for your reply.

If i understand correctly, in that scenario where (if i need to change the employer when am in closed work permit but still has the expiration date for another year.?), to avoid LMO with new employer and also if my closed work permit gonna expire in 4 months, i can apply for open work permit with AOR at that time right?

Can you please clarify.

Thanks in advance.
You can apply for the briding open work permit when: -

1) You have received your AOR
2) You have 4 months or less left on your current work permit. If you have more than 4 months remaining on your current work permit, you are not eligible for the BOWP.