+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit vs. Permanent Residency

ehorner

Jul 9, 2012
Hi,

My work permit is set to expire in November 2012. I have been living in Calgary for 7 years straight under both a student and then a work visa. At this point I'd like to apply for permanent residency. Do I also have to apply for a new work permit in addition to this?

Liz

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ehorner said:
Do I also have to apply for a new work permit in addition to this?
Only if you plan to stay in Canada and continue working.

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
ehorner said:
Hi,

My work permit is set to expire in November 2012. I have been living in Calgary for 7 years straight under both a student and then a work visa. At this point I'd like to apply for permanent residency. Do I also have to apply for a new work permit in addition to this?

Liz
It is unlikely to complete processing by November. As such, if you want to keep working, you will need a new work permit. That will require your employer getting an LMO (Labour Market Opinion) for your job. Since you were a student, and likely on a PGWP, it isn't too complicated for your employer as they don't need to recruit for the position and show that they couldn't find a Canadian to do the job. However they still need to apply for the LMO (and you for the permit while/after the LMO is in process).

ehorner

Jul 9, 2012
Thanks for your response. So my understanding is that even if I apply for permanent residency and want to keep working, that I'll need to apply for both applications and to have my employer apply for the LMO.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ehorner said:
Thanks for your response. So my understanding is that even if I apply for permanent residency and want to keep working, that I'll need to apply for both applications and to have my employer apply for the LMO.
Yes, the applications are independent from each other. A work permit doesn't automatically give you a PR nor does a PR application automatically give you a work permit. Your employer first needs to get the LMO and then you can apply for the work permit or in some cases you can apply for both at the same time.

If you apply for PR through a PNP, they will usually allow you a work permit without needing an LMO if you have been nominated already.

ehorner

Jul 9, 2012
That makes sense. I haven't needed an LMO before - I applied for a post graduate work permit and was granted it automatically for 5 years. I am going to attempt to file for the work and PR status at the same time.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a PNP?