+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Rejected - I'm worried

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
I'm very close to Niagara Border, I can go tomorrow and re-enter as a visitor - I have a valid USA visitor's visa. But would there be any chance to apply for work permit (If LMIA fails too)?
BTW, my employer applied on October 3rd for LMIA, although the current processing time is 57 days, I'm not sure how accurate these timelines are. My 57 days will be up around November 2nd.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm very close to Niagara Border, I can go tomorrow and re-enter as a visitor - I have a valid USA visitor's visa. But would there be any chance to apply for work permit (If LMIA fails too)?
It is a really bad ideal to flagpole if you are out of status. So no, this is absolutely not recommended in your situation.

On what basis do you qualify for a work permit without an LMIA? You need a job offer and LMIA to qualify for a work permit.

Reactions: canuck78

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
It is a really bad ideal to flagpole if you are out of status. So no, this is absolutely not recommended in your situation.

On what basis do you qualify for a work permit without an LMIA? You need a job offer and LMIA to qualify for a work permit.
My employer is ready to do whatever it takes to keep me in the company as they do not want to spend another 6 months interviewing and training, they said that sponsoring me costs less than finding and spending resources on training plus hiring. Will that help me?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
BTW, my employer applied on October 3rd for LMIA, although the current processing time is 57 days, I'm not sure how accurate these timelines are. My 57 days will be up around November 2nd.
But having a US visa will not allow you entry to Canada if you are out of status. Do you have a valid TRV? I wouldn’t leave Canada. Once you have an approved LMIA, then you can apply for a closed work permit. That will take 4-5 months once you have an approved LMIA. Again you don’t want to flagpole if you have implied status.

If employer doesn’t have LMIA they have to prove that they have posted the job and no one qualified applied. How long have you been working for them?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My employer is ready to do whatever it takes to keep me in the company as they do not want to spend another 6 months interviewing and training, they said that sponsoring me costs less than finding and spending resources on training plus hiring. Will that help me?
Not immediately. You need to stop working now and restore your status to visitor.

Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA. If they do this, you can then apply for a closed work permit.

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
But having a US visa will not allow you entry to Canada if you are out of status. Do you have a valid TRV? I wouldn’t leave Canada. Once you have an approved LMIA, then you can apply for a closed work permit. That will take 4-5 months once you have an approved LMIA. Again you don’t want to flagpole if you have implied status.

If employer doesn’t have LMIA they have to prove that they have posted the job and no one qualified applied. How long have you been working for them?
I do have a valid TRV (Visitor's Sticker with multiple entries). Yes, they've already interviewed for 2 months thru Job Bank, LinkedIn and Indeed. Usually interviewing process lasts for about 4 to 6 months to finalise a successful candidate in my company, 2 months or a month was too short to get any qualified candidates let alone a qualified citizen or pr holder. This will be my 5th year with them.

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
Not immediately. You need to stop working now and restore your status to visitor.

Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA. If they do this, you can then apply for a closed work permit.
Yes, I've already informed my employer, they're pretty pissed. They're frustrated as they're already losing a resource to maternity leave and now me at the peak of deadlines. This refusal is very unfair to the employer.

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
My Plan is to get an LMIA, apply for my PR, wait until PR is approved then apply for Bridging Work Permit. Is it possible?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I do have a valid TRV (Visitor's Sticker with multiple entries). Yes, they've already interviewed for 2 months thru Job Bank, LinkedIn and Indeed. Usually interviewing process lasts for about 4 to 6 months to finalise a successful candidate in my company, 2 months or a month was too short to get any qualified candidates let alone a qualified citizen or pr holder. This will be my 5th year with them.
Well you cannot work for them until they have an approved LMIA and a closed work permit. They need to look at the LMIA process. Honestly given that fact that you are without status leaving Canada and trying to re-enter as a visitor could backfire. You are not a visitor but wanting to work.

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
Well you cannot work for them until they have an approved LMIA and a closed work permit. They need to look at the LMIA process. Honestly given that fact that you are without status leaving Canada and trying to re-enter as a visitor could backfire. You are not a visitor but wanting to work.
But I need at least some time to pack everything up and leave. I literally just put up my Christmas Tree to add to the extra work, and my furniture. Isn't there a way to take a couple of weeks to wind up my chapter in Canada and then leave without having to pay 500 dollars towards restoration application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But I need at least some time to pack everything up and leave. I literally just put up my Christmas Tree to add to the extra work, and my furniture. Isn't there a way to take a couple of weeks to wind up my chapter in Canada and then leave without having to pay 500 dollars towards restoration application?
You should either apply to restore your status to visitor very soon or plan to leave Canada within 30 days.

To be honest, none of this should be coming as a surprise to you. You were given information on this forum over a month ago that you applied for the OWP without qualifying and will be refused.

Reactions: Naturgrl

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
You should either apply to restore your status to visitor very soon or plan to leave Canada within 30 days.

To be honest, none of this should be coming as a surprise to you. You were given information on this forum over a month ago that you applied for the OWP without qualifying and will be refused.
Correct! The only surprise is the restoration. I'm not sure why I'm asked to restore when I clearly don't qualify for anything. I can leave the country but need 2 weeks to pack everything up. The letter seems to be contradicting the restoration and request to immediately leave the country otherwise. I'd like to take 2 weeks, pack things up and leave the country without have to worrying about restoration. I'm only not sure how bad it is to be in this country illegally for the next 2 weeks until I leave.

GoldMajix

Jan 24, 2024
i got a similar letter regardling work permit says the exact same thing, i would be leaving 12 days after recieving this letter would that be okay??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i got a similar letter regardling work permit says the exact same thing, i would be leaving 12 days after recieving this letter would that be okay??
Yes, that's fine.

Reactions: GoldMajix

GoldMajix

Jan 24, 2024
okay thank you because as of jan 18th i am out of temporary status, so would you reccomend applying for restoration as i have that option if i plan on leaving om the 30th...? is there actually a 30 day window after losing temporary residency