+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work permit question

tina_

Jan 22, 2016
Hello,

I'm going to Canada with my partner in September. He will be granted a working permit and I could apply for one through him as well.

My question is- can I apply for a working permit without having a specific work in mind and then once I come to Canada, search for work there? Also, when applying for work permit do I need to apply for visa as well?

(As a side note, my partner is getting a post doc position.)

Thank you!

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
tina_ said:
Hello,

I'm going to Canada with my partner in September. He will be granted a working permit and I could apply for one through him as well.

My question is- can I apply for a working permit without having a specific work in mind and then once I come to Canada, search for work there? Also, when applying for work permit do I need to apply for visa as well?

(As a side note, my partner is getting a post doc position.)

Thank you!
You will be getting SOWP (spouse open work permit) which is open and therefore you can take any job with it... Well, almost any. There are some standard restriction applied to work permits - such as not to work in sex industry. Also if you didn't undergo medical exam before arriving, you wont be not allowed to work in healthcare related jobs.
As for visa - you need it to enter the country. Work permit autorize you to stay and work in Canada, but to enter Canada you need visa, unless you are from visa exempt country.

tina_

Jan 22, 2016
Thank you for replying.

The problem is, the application for (open) work permit I need to fill in (from the citizen and immigration Canada website) asks to specify the type of work along with my future employer's address. Do you happen to know if I just leave it blank or is there any other solution?

Thank you!

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
tina_ said:
Thank you for replying.

The problem is, the application for (open) work permit I need to fill in (from the citizen and immigration Canada website) asks to specify the type of work along with my future employer's address. Do you happen to know if I just leave it blank or is there any other solution?

Thank you!
Write "Not applicable" (N/A) in this field.

venkatesh jalubula

Star Member
Mar 10, 2016
pfse said:
Write "Not applicable" (N/A) in this field.
Hi,
As suggested u can fill N/A in the column or you can just leave it blank.I am applying for an open work permit for my student spouse and I just left it blank.

I am having a problem in validating IMM 1295 form.Form is not being validated unless I put some date in EMPLOYMENT section(pg 3 of 6) of the form.Since she is still student I am confused.Is it filled it as following

current activity: Student
company/employer/:Her college name

If I leave these as blank and press validate following error is showing up
Employment
The following field must contain a value:
1.From:YYYYY

pls share your experience

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
venkatesh jalubula said:
Hi,
As suggested u can fill N/A in the column or you can just leave it blank.I am applying for an open work permit for my student spouse and I just left it blank.

I am having a problem in validating IMM 1295 form.Form is not being validated unless I put some date in EMPLOYMENT section(pg 3 of 6) of the form.Since she is still student I am confused.Is it filled it as following

current activity: Student
company/employer/:Her college name

If I leave these as blank and press validate following error is showing up
Employment
The following field must contain a value:
1.From:YYYYY

pls share your experience
Just mention N/A in employment section