+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit question for best option

Mihaicristian

Feb 24, 2020
Hello everyone,

Currently I’m in Romania and in the summer I will go to work in the US with a J1 visa (through a work and travel program for students). This visa is going to be valid until the end of October. Straight after this period I would like to work in Canada for a year or more. I don’t need a visa for Canada, but I need a work permit and eTA. I have checked a few possibilities for my situation, but i cannot decide which one is the best yet. Is it better to apply for a work permit and eTA while i’m still in my residence country? Or is it better to apply for work permit while l’m in Canada? If you were in this situation or know someone who was please let me know what is the best way to live and work in Canada! Also I was thinking to apply for eTA and after I obtain it to apply for open work permit. What do you think? Which one is the best way.
Also I saw there are diffent types of work permits? If yes, could you please explain a little bit the difference between them or to share some links/data in order to read more.

Thank you in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

Currently I’m in Romania and in the summer I will go to work in the US with a J1 visa (through a work and travel program for students). This visa is going to be valid until the end of October. Straight after this period I would like to work in Canada for a year or more. I don’t need a visa for Canada, but I need a work permit and eTA. I have checked a few possibilities for my situation, but i cannot decide which one is the best yet. Is it better to apply for a work permit and eTA while i’m still in my residence country? Or is it better to apply for work permit while l’m in Canada? If you were in this situation or know someone who was please let me know what is the best way to live and work in Canada! Also I was thinking to apply for eTA and after I obtain it to apply for open work permit. What do you think? Which one is the best way.
Also I saw there are diffent types of work permits? If yes, could you please explain a little bit the difference between them or to share some links/data in order to read more.

Thank you in advance!
In order to qualify for a work permit to Canada, you need to find an employer in Canada who is willing to give you a job offer and who is also willing / able to obtain an approved LMIA. Once the LMIa is approved, you would then be able to apply for a closed work permit linked to that specific employer. Generally speaking, it's very challenging to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process since it takes months to complete and is quite expensive.

Based on the information you have provided, you do not qualify for an open work permit.

Mihaicristian

Feb 24, 2020
In order to qualify for a work permit to Canada, you need to find an employer in Canada who is willing to give you a job offer and who is also willing / able to obtain an approved LMIA. Once the LMIa is approved, you would then be able to apply for a closed work permit linked to that specific employer. Generally speaking, it's very challenging to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process since it takes months to complete and is quite expensive.

Based on the information you have provided, you do not qualify for an open work permit.
First of all, thanks a lot for your response.
Could you please give me more information about the “open work permit”. What do I need to fulfill in order to be able to apply for it?
Also, is it not possible to find an employer with LMIA already approved? And just to ask for a job ?

Thank you again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
First of all, thanks a lot for your response.
Could you please give me more information about the “open work permit”. What do I need to fulfill in order to be able to apply for it?
Also, is it not possible to find an employer with LMIA already approved? And just to ask for a job ?

Thank you again!
Information on who can apply for an open work permit here:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17

An LMIA is required for each individual job. An employer doesn't just get one LMIA approved and then issue as many job offers as they want. They have to get an LMIA approved for each job offer. The LMIA process can take 4-6 months to complete and requires the employer to advertise the job to prove no Canadian could be hired for the role.