+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Extension - Awaiting PR - Got Letter from IRCC seeking documents - confused pls help

May 20, 2020
Hello members,

Hope all reading this are safe and sound during these testing times.I am seeking advice from expert members in this forum as I am in fix right now.
Here is my story :

I landed as a visitor in Canada in Oct 2017, got a job offer and converted my status to a closed work permit with a corporate in Surrey in Dec 2017. I did not however joined the corporate as I did not like surrey it being too expensive along with some other reasons and moved to Winnipeg in Jan 2018 where my wife got an open work permit based on my closed work permit status. My wife has been working in Winnipeg since Mar 2018 and we applied for a PNP in Manitoba which got approved in Mar 2019. I was not working all this while. Since I was staying in Winnipeg and my work permit was that of BC , I decided to apply for Open Work Permit in Mar 2019 as soon as our PNP got approved. Also, parallel in Apr 2019 we applied for PR where my wife is the primary applicant and we got our medicals approved too and we are awaiting our PR as of today.

After 3.5 months of OWP application , my OWP application went into review to Edmonton cic office. The timeline given for this review completion was 9 months which expired in April 2020. Since there was no reply from cic , I contacted them over email and got a reply from them a gist of which is as follows:

"This letter is in regards to your application for an extension of temporary resident status on an open work permit in Canada. In order to continue processing your application, additional information is required:
Records of employment including T4s, pay stubs and letter of release/termination (if applicable) covering entire period of employment with them since your entry to Canada;
Updated financial information for yourself, in the form of complete (showing all credits and debits) bank statements for the past 6 months.
The above information would normally be due within 30 days of this letter but in light of the Covid-19 situation we will extend this to 90 days from today’s date. Still, the earlier you comply with this requirement the sooner a decision can be made on your application, giving regard to all the relevant information and circumstances (including any other applications by you and your spouse). "

I am in a fix since I did not work at all in Surrey and in Winnipeg. Basis this letter what should be my reply to IRCC as I want to brutally honest here.

Please suggest

Will this affect our PR application which is under process at this time?
What should be the objective of CIC in asking for this information ?
What should be my reply to IRCC at this moment.

PS: Whatever information is provided above was provided in the PNP application

sweetcute123

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
25-09-2016
IELTS Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
UPFRONT
Passport Req..
24-01-2017
provide documents what they are asking

May 20, 2020
Hello thank you responding but I do not have T4, pay stub and relieving letter as I never worked there. What document should I provide then ?

sweetcute123

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
25-09-2016
IELTS Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
UPFRONT
Passport Req..
24-01-2017
Records of employment including T4s, pay stubs and letter of release/termination (if applicable) covering entire period of employment with them since your entry to Canada;

it depends what you wrote for employment in open work permit application...thats what they are asking

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello members,

Hope all reading this are safe and sound during these testing times.I am seeking advice from expert members in this forum as I am in fix right now.
Here is my story :

I landed as a visitor in Canada in Oct 2017, got a job offer and converted my status to a closed work permit with a corporate in Surrey in Dec 2017. I did not however joined the corporate as I did not like surrey it being too expensive along with some other reasons and moved to Winnipeg in Jan 2018 where my wife got an open work permit based on my closed work permit status. My wife has been working in Winnipeg since Mar 2018 and we applied for a PNP in Manitoba which got approved in Mar 2019. I was not working all this while. Since I was staying in Winnipeg and my work permit was that of BC , I decided to apply for Open Work Permit in Mar 2019 as soon as our PNP got approved. Also, parallel in Apr 2019 we applied for PR where my wife is the primary applicant and we got our medicals approved too and we are awaiting our PR as of today.

After 3.5 months of OWP application , my OWP application went into review to Edmonton cic office. The timeline given for this review completion was 9 months which expired in April 2020. Since there was no reply from cic , I contacted them over email and got a reply from them a gist of which is as follows:

"This letter is in regards to your application for an extension of temporary resident status on an open work permit in Canada. In order to continue processing your application, additional information is required:
Updated financial information for yourself, in the form of complete (showing all credits and debits) bank statements for the past 6 months.
The above information would normally be due within 30 days of this letter but in light of the Covid-19 situation we will extend this to 90 days from today’s date. Still, the earlier you comply with this requirement the sooner a decision can be made on your application, giving regard to all the relevant information and circumstances (including any other applications by you and your spouse). "

I am in a fix since I did not work at all in Surrey and in Winnipeg. Basis this letter what should be my reply to IRCC as I want to brutally honest here.

Please suggest

It would appear you obtained a work permit in bad faith. It also appears that your wife then lied in order to get an open work permit, as you were not actually employed and she therefore didn't qualify.

IRCC's objective is likely to confirm this. Yes, it could certainly affect your PR app if they determine that your wife fraudulently obtained a work permit.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hello members,

Here is my story :

Please suggest

Honestly, I'm glad they are asking for confirmation of this.

You've been abusing the system and fraudulently taking advantage of it by misrepresenting your situation. It seems that your lack of transparency is finally catching up with you.

Since you've said you want to be "brutally honest", why don't you just be and reply by saying you never worked in Surrey.

You know IRCC being a Federal agency can perform checks through other Federal agencies such as CRA. The fact that they're are asking for proof, is most definitely them giving you the benefit of the doubt because they probably already found inconsistencies in your alleged work history.

I think that what's coming next for your it a refusal of your OWP application, PR and potential ban for misrepresentation.

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I agree with what has been said , it looks like refusal is on cards but at same time IRCC has been kind to give you some benefit of doubt by giving You opportunity of being heard,