+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Expiring

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Hello experts!

I am on PGWP in Canada and my permit is expiring on January 15, 2024. I am worried about my options on how to renew or keep working in Canada legally after it expires.
I have applied for PR but i might not get the AOR before my work permit expires. I know i can apply for BOWP but for that i need AOR. Can i apply for BOWP before AOR and since its will take some time, i can submit the AOR through a web form once i receive it (maybe a month later)?

Is this possible? What are some other ways?

Would really appreciate it!

Thanks all

Last edited:

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
Hello experts!

I am on PGWP in Canada and my permit is expiring on January 15, 2024. I am worried about my options on how to renew or keep working in Canada legally after it expires.
I have applied for PR but i might not get the AOR before my work permit expires. I know i can apply for BOWP but for that i need AOR. Can i apply for BOWP before AOR and since its will take some time, i can submit the AOR through a web form once i receive it (maybe a month later)?

Thanks all
No, you can't and also PGWP is not renewable, only once in a lifetime. After getting AOR you can apply for an open bridge permit, without AOR your company has to apply for a closed work permit for you. That's the only option

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
No, you can't and also PGWP is not renewable, only once in a lifetime. After getting AOR you can apply for an open bridge permit, without AOR your company has to apply for a closed work permit for you. That's the only option
Thanks.
How late can i apply for BOWP? I am not sure when i will receive AOR but i am expecting very close to my work permit expiry maybe 5 days before it expires. Is there a minimum number of days to apply before my work permit expires?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks.
How late can i apply for BOWP? I am not sure when i will receive AOR but i am expecting very close to my work permit expiry maybe 5 days before it expires. Is there a minimum number of days to apply before my work permit expires?
How did you applied for PR under which program? Please share full details?

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
How did you applied for PR under which program? Please share full details?
I applied recently under OINP HCP stream after receiving NOI. I am waiting on nomination which can take more than 3 months as per the current processing time. After which i will have to wait for the ITA and then i can submit my profile. I am expecting this process will take 4-5 months and my work permit will be expired by then

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I applied recently under OINP HCP stream after receiving NOI. I am waiting on nomination which can take more than 3 months as per the current processing time. After which i will have to wait for the ITA and then i can submit my profile. I am expecting this process will take 4-5 months and my work permit will be expired by then
There is no option for extend your PGWP . You can extend after getting nominated from Province or when you got AOR from PR application.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
How can i extend after getting nominated by province ? Do i not need AOR?
No you will get Work permit support letter from Province which nominated you. You have to submit closed work permit application with that. Your employer have to submit job offer in employer portal and pay $230 compliance fees .

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
No you will get Work permit support letter from Province which nominated you. You have to submit closed work permit application with that. Your employer have to submit job offer in employer portal and pay $230 compliance fees .
Does OINP give work permit support letter for HCP stream?
Why does employer has to submit job offer? Are you talking about LMIA?

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
Does OINP give work permit support letter for HCP stream?
Why does employer has to submit job offer? Are you talking about LMIA?
No, the province is not authorized to issue any work permit or any type of permit, this is only federal. Yes, the employer needs to provide LMIA in order for you to keep your status. I strongly recommend you to ask your employer if they will give you a LMIA otherwise you start to look for another job with close work permit

ricardo_9288

Dec 12, 2020
Hello experts!

Thanks all
I'm in a similar situation. Any updates?