+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit expiring - what to do? [urgent]

MrDuckMan

Mar 13, 2018
So, I have PWGP that expires March 31st, 2019. I started working on March 5th, a few weeks ago.

If I complete my 1 year of work experience by March 5th, 2019, I would have a few weeks to apply for Express Entry and then apply for BOWP right? What other options do I have? My goal is to avoid having to leave Canada / stop working.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
So, I have PWGP that expires March 31st, 2019. I started working on March 5th, a few weeks ago.

If I complete my 1 year of work experience by March 5th, 2019, I would have a few weeks to apply for Express Entry and then apply for BOWP right? What other options do I have? My goal is to avoid having to leave Canada / stop working.

If you are lucky and you get an invitation immediately you create your profile on or after March 05, then all you need to do is submit the application. Once they confirm receipt, you can then apply for a BOWP and you will be on implied status and not have to stop working.

If not, you could apply for a visitor's visa and remain in Canada but you would to stop working at that point.

MrDuckMan

Mar 13, 2018
If you are lucky and you get an invitation immediately you create your profile on or after March 05, then all you need to do is submit the application. Once they confirm receipt, you can then apply for a BOWP and you will be on implied status and not have to stop working.

If not, you could apply for a visitor's visa and remain in Canada but you would to stop working at that point.
Thanks so much! Invitations go out roughly twice a month right?

karthik1990

Apr 18, 2013
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013

No need to worry. Prepare all your documents ahead of time. You can do medical and pcc 2 weeks before you finish 1 year. Most importantly get atleast 7 band in ielts. You can get invitation for sure with out any waiting period.

Reactions: MrDuckMan

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

Well, you know the BOWP is an option, but it will be tight. And even if you receive an ITA and submit your eAPR in time to apply for the BOWP, if you make a mistake on your eAPR submission (e.g missing a document) it will be returned, your BOWP will be refused, and you will lose your eligibility for the BOWP. So I would suggest keeping the BOWP as a back-up plan, and explore your other options to continue working -

1) Ask your employer to apply for an LMIA , so that you can apply for a TWP (and be eligible for points for arranged employment / "valid job offer").

2) Apply (if eligible) under a traditional (non-EE) PNP program
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees.html

3) Look at IEC programs
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec.html

4) If you happen to be from the USA/Mexico - for now, NAFTA still exists (who knows about next year), but some occupations are LMIA-exempt.

Mesh2003

Sep 6, 2017

Remember that once you cover at least 1560hours, you are eligible to apply. If you work 40 hours a week, then you don't have to wait till march 5th. My friend applied at 10 months which is about 1600hours( 160 hours per month X 10 months) and still got his PR.
He made sure he didn't take any day off or vacation period prior to applying.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Remember that once you cover at least 1560hours, you are eligible to apply. If you work 40 hours a week, then you don't have to wait till march 5th. My friend applied at 10 months which is about 1600hours( 160 hours per month X 10 months) and still got his PR.
He made sure he didn't take any day off or vacation period prior to applying.
This is wrong and very bad advice. Your friend should have been refused.

You need a full 52 weeks of work experience where you have worked at least 30 hours each week.

Mesh2003

Sep 6, 2017
This is wrong and very bad advice. Your friend should have been refused.

You need a full 52 weeks of work experience where you have worked at least 30 hours each week.
I am talking from a friends experience and he applied based on his former colleagues that did same. So I cant categorically say that he should have been refused. applications are assessed on a case to case basis in some cases.

MrDuckMan

Mar 13, 2018
Thank you everyone for the advice! Mesh2003, that's really intruiging. I'm meeting up with an immigration lawyer and will let you know what she thinks.

MrDuckMan

Mar 13, 2018
Well, you know the BOWP is an option, but it will be tight. And even if you receive an ITA and submit your eAPR in time to apply for the BOWP, if you make a mistake on your eAPR submission (e.g missing a document) it will be returned, your BOWP will be refused, and you will lose your eligibility for the BOWP. So I would suggest keeping the BOWP as a back-up plan, and explore your other options to continue working -

1) Ask your employer to apply for an LMIA , so that you can apply for a TWP (and be eligible for points for arranged employment / "valid job offer").

2) Apply (if eligible) under a traditional (non-EE) PNP program
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees.html

3) Look at IEC programs
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec.html

4) If you happen to be from the USA/Mexico - for now, NAFTA still exists (who knows about next year), but some occupations are LMIA-exempt.
Jes, thanks for such a detailed answer, I appreciate your time - happy to buy you a coffee anytime! Yes, I'm definitely going to look into LMIA and PNP. PNP is probably easier since I'm based in Nova Scotia , at least from my understanding. Will update you once I consult my lawyer this Sunday.

singhanchal13

Jun 13, 2016
Hi All,

I will be in similar position soon , I will be completing my 1 yr in job in May mid and my OWP will be expiring on 30th June, 2018. As I am working as an full time employee, I don't want to leave my present job. I plan to apply for CEC as soon as I complete 1 yr. There is narrow time for me to get my ITA and then apply for BOWP before my work permit expires .

Any suggestion on how to avoid leaving my job in this case.

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I am talking from a friends experience and he applied based on his former colleagues that did same. So I cant categorically say that he should have been refused. applications are assessed on a case to case basis in some cases.
If your information is correct, he should have been refused based on published rules (not to mention legislation), and VOs have no authority to substitute judgement when the minimum entry qualifications are not met (this is also published). So, yes, it is possible that sometimes VO make mistakes, sometimes against applicants, but also sometimes in favor of applicants. And yes, sometimes even corruption. But you really should not expect a mistake to help you obtain PR status.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010