+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Expiring - Getting Married in 2 mos.

whiteapple

Star Member
Jun 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi!

I currently have a post graduation work permit and I found out that my employer has to sponsor me so I can extend my work permit. However, knowing my employer, she won't. My boyfriend and I decided to get married next month instead...

1. Can I stay and continue working here even if my temporary resident visa and work permit will be expiring on October?

2. I currently work as an education system which classified as a Level C occupation. Is it possible for me to extend my work permit then?

3. How long is the process for sponsorship?

please help!

thanks!

I

iarblue

If you are getting married in one month,when do you plan on starting the sponsorship app?If you are doing the app right after you marry ,before October...you can include another app for a workers permit.If the app is in before october,once it is in he will have implied status,and if approved to sponsor his new work permit will come with the first stage approval.
Timing is everything.

whiteapple

Star Member
Jun 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
we plan on starting the sponsorship papers asap! how long does it usually take? did i understand it correct that as long as the sponsorship papers have been submitted, i can stay and continue working here?

I

iarblue

Yes if you send in the app before your current permit expires and add the app for the workers permit you will be under implied status,and for how long it takes for an inland app could be 9 months.Depending on the app,police clearences,etc.

whiteapple

Star Member
Jun 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
is it guaranteed that i will get a workers permit? how long is the process for the workers permit? is it ok even if my work is classified under a Level C?

I

iarblue

Well if you are applying inland i have not heard of many that have not been given the work permit.Just include the permit extension with your app.And it should arrive around 60 days but as long as you send in the app your are under implied status.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
whiteapple said:
Hi!

I currently have a post graduation work permit and I found out that my employer has to sponsor me so I can extend my work permit. However, knowing my employer, she won't. My boyfriend and I decided to get married next month instead...

1. Can I stay and continue working here even if my temporary resident visa and work permit will be expiring on October?

2. I currently work as an education system which classified as a Level C occupation. Is it possible for me to extend my work permit then?

3. How long is the process for sponsorship?

please help!

thanks!
Once you are married you are eligible to be sponsored for permanent residence. Since you want to be able to continue working under your current work permit, you need to apply for permanent residence through the inland spousal process AND you must include an application to extend your status/work permit WITH the inland PR application (and pay the additional $150 fee). The whole package MUST BE RECEIVED BY CPC-VEGREVILLE before your current work permit expires or you will not have the "implied status" you need to be able to continue working. That means you have to have the fees paid, the application forms done, the medical exam accomplished and your criminal clearances at least ordered - if not received. You can get those things in motion before you get married (I'd suggest you do that) so that as soon as you have a copy of your Record of Solemnization from your legal marriage to include with the application, you can submit it. Send it by courier so that you can get delivery confirmation AND keep photocopies of EVERY document and form you submit. These will be your proof that you have implied status to continue working. Remember, in order for this to work, the whole application packet AND the extension application have to be received by CPC-V before your current status expires - and you cannot apply to extend the work permit without the inland spousal component!! It would be refused without your employer's sponsorship.

You won't hear anything for the first 6-7 months after the application is received - it takes them that long to get to your application to begin to assess it. Once they do, you'll be assessed for the first stage and, if you're approved, they'll issue you a new "open" work permit that will allow you to work for anybody. That will be your new temporary status document and you'll need to keep that current by applying to extend it if it's due to expire again before you have PR. The rest of the PR process will take from 6-12 months . . . so you're looking at 12-18 months overall. You can apply outland, which will probably process faster, but you won't be able to continue to work. You would, in that case, need to submit the same extension application that you'd submit with the inland ap, but separately from the PR application - directly to Vegreville - and you'd have to apply to change your conditions to "visitor". You can be approved to extend based on your legal marriage, and that will give you implied status to remain in Canada, as a visitor, until you get a response (in about 100 days) - and then you'd be able to remain in Canada while your outland PR ap was processing. Ultimately you'd have PR sooner, but you wouldn't be working again until after PR was finalized. How long it would take to process your outland PR ap depends on which country you're from/which overseas embassy processes it.

Also, obviously you can continue to work until October - so if you got married now and submitted your PR application outland, you could be very close to being approved for PR before your work permit even expires. It would just depend on which embassy is processing your ap (again, depending on your country of nationality) and how straight-forward your application is.

firefox

Jun 9, 2010
Me and my girlfriend are in the same situation. We can get most of the stuff ready before we get married, but can you tell me more about this implied status and how she can continue to keep working? She has a good permanent fulltime job and doesn't want to lose it, or go on Visitor visa and just stay home while I work until the PR goes through.

Her SIN number expires the same date as her work permit. How do you get around this when entering implied status? I don't know if employers are contacted if a SIN is going to expire, doubt it. But would this have any repercussions on her record of some sort?
Thanks

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Am I the only one who sees this as a marriage of convenience? You cannot extend your work permit so you will just marry your boyfriend instead so you can stay in Canada?

I don't know, it just puts a bad taste in my mouth for all of us who are doing it the honest way, first in love with our spouse and wanting to marry them, and 2nd working on getting them to Canada, which often involves months and years of living apart.