+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit expiring Before CSQ.

sanyasa

Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I'll be applying for my CSQ in July as all the process(IELTS +Validate the job offer) has been delayed by COVID19. My Work Permit will be expiring in November and I don't think I'll receive the CSQ before it.
Am I allowed to work on CSQ "applied" status? If not, how do I extend my work permit, apart from LMIA, since I hear LMIA is hard to get.
I'm currently working in Quebec.

techflyer

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
That's an interesting question. I too would like to know what can be done in this specific situation. My work permit is expiring soon although I have received Arrima Invitation and submitted documentation as well now waiting to receive a CSQ but given the current situation it is possible that my work permit will expire before receiving CSQ.

hjf123

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
You can extend your work permit with Lmia. Otherwise, you can’t work with csq applied status. Good luck.

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
Hello, I'll be applying for my CSQ in July as all the process(IELTS +Validate the job offer) has been delayed by COVID19. My Work Permit will be expiring in November and I don't think I'll receive the CSQ before it.
Am I allowed to work on CSQ "applied" status? If not, how do I extend my work permit, apart from LMIA, since I hear LMIA is hard to get.
Because you do have CSQ yet, you should apply for LMIA. LMIA via Quebec is a long process as you already might know.
Once you get the receipt for LMIA application, you will be in "implied status" and can continue working without any problems. You will have the below caveats.

1. If your work visa is expired in your passport and if you leave Canada, you will lose implied status and you cannot enter Canada without a visa.
2. Your RAMQ expiry is tied to work permit expiry. You will have to take private insurance.

Tangential, why do you want to apply for Quebec immigration ? You do know that it sucks ? If you have enough points, leave Quebec and apply for Express Entry. You will save a lot of years of your life.

Nikos1978

Jan 8, 2020
Quebec - Quebec City
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-06-2020
AOR Received.
12-08-2021
Med's Request
22-09-2021
Med's Done....
01-10-2021
VISA ISSUED...
16-10-2021
Normally, it's possible to extend an opened work permit for about 3 months.

I'm in the same situation, my opened work permit will finish in late november.
If I have no news about my CSQ in july I will use the PEQ to get my CSQ faster

bleachedaxe

Oct 6, 2010
Does anyone know if you need to get your employer involved for a work permit extension to get a closed one? Like If you have already applied for federal after getting your csq and waiting for your PR. You dont need a LMIA in that case, but would you still need to get it applied through your employer or you could do that yourself? Also how long before your work permit expires, should you apply?

hjf123

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
Does anyone know if you need to get your employer involved for a work permit extension to get a closed one? Like If you have already applied for federal after getting your csq and waiting for your PR. You dont need a LMIA in that case, but would you still need to get it applied through your employer or you could do that yourself? Also how long before your work permit expires, should you apply?
employer is involved

hjf123

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
how much time it take to get a closed work permit if having a valid CSQ and employer offer is submitted? Current IRCC work permit application within Canada shows 89 days
Around 4 months.

You are eligible to work even if your work permit is expired as long as you are in the process of applying the closed work permit with CSQ

aeya

Feb 28, 2016
Montreal
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-10-2019
Do you have a French B2 level? if not how you will get the CSQ?