+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Approved but not yet received in Mail. Job starts soon! HALP!

limits

May 13, 2015
Hey guys,

I have been reading this forum a lot so firstly I want to thank everyone on here for all the valuable advice.

I am currently in a tricky situation and need some urgent advice. I am pursuing a Masters degree in Canada and my student status lasts until the the end of December, 2015. One of the requirements for me to complete my Masters program is a co-op internship. Luckily, I have a job offer! And, what's even better is that I applied for my co-op work visa on March 20th, 2015 and I got online approval for it on May 8th, 2015. However, here comes the bad part.

I was living in a leased apartment in Kingston, ON for the past 8 months. But, my lease expired at the end of April. When I applied for my co-op work visa I foolishly used my Kingston address as the mailing address, not realizing that by the time the mail arrived I would have moved out. Of course, around a week later I realized my mistake. So, I set up Canada Post Mail Forwarding to my friend's address in Toronto. Further, I emailed CIC informing them of the new mailing address.

Long story short (too late! :p), CIC sent me an online notification on May 8th that my visa was approved and that they have sent me a secure mail to the mailing address provided (which I am assuming is the old one). But, it is May 13th now and my friend still hasn't received the mail at his address in Toronto. My employer wants me to start work on May 21st, 2015. If I ask them to postpone the start date, there is a possibility that they may renege the internship offer and therefore I do not want to do that.

Maybe I am just panicking without reason and that the mail will arrive at his house in 2-3 days. The worst case scenario that I am dreading is that my work permit is lost. I need to get it before the 21st of May anyhow. I can't afford to wait for the 1 month processing times that CIC states for reissuing lost documents. I have read on this forum that it is possible to go to border crossings and get the work permit printed out immediately.

So, I have a couple questions regarding this:
1. What is the best course of action in my current situation?
2. Does flagpoling still work?
3. I reach Toronto on the 18th of May. What would be the nearest border crossing that I could go to so as to print my work visa?
4. Is it necessary to go to the border crossing or can I do it at immigration at Toronto Pearson airport?

Looking forward to your valuable advice. Thanks guys!

limits

May 13, 2015
Called up CIC today. They sent the mail to my old address in spite of having my updated address on file. How stupid!?!?!?

I am going to try my best to retrieve it from my old address or hope that mail forwarding worked to my updated address. Anyhow, in the case that it is lost, what is my option? I need to get the work permit before the 21st of May so that I can begin my internship. The agent on the phone said that I cannot get it printed at the US-Canada border crossing.

Anyone with experience in this matter, it would be of great help to me if I can get some advice.

mazkelly

Jan 29, 2015
Flagpoling for open work permit

Hope you can help. I am just about to submit a sponsorship application for my partner and apply for open work permit at the same time. He has a current closed work permit until April 2016. He has just been offered a new job but new employer has requested open work permit in 60 days which I know current processing times are 3-4 months. Would Flagpoling work in our case to change his closed permit to an open one? Would we have to wait for AOR? Does anyone know how long an AOR would take?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

limits

May 13, 2015
I've got some questions mailed to me regarding this topic so I thought I should post a reply here stating what happened.

Even after sending an updated address to CIC, they mailed the work permit to my old address. However, luckily I had mail forwarding enabled for my old address and the permit got forwarded to my new address. I would have been in a sticky situation to say the least if it went to the old address and someone I did not know got their hands on it.

nick1899

Star Member
Aug 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
limits said:
I've got some questions mailed to me regarding this topic so I thought I should post a reply here stating what happened.

Even after sending an updated address to CIC, they mailed the work permit to my old address. However, luckily I had mail forwarding enabled for my old address and the permit got forwarded to my new address. I would have been in a sticky situation to say the least if it went to the old address and someone I did not know got their hands on it.
Thanks limits.

Just a quick question - How many days more it took for the CIC mail to reach to your new address (the one you forwarded with Canada post)? Generally, the trend is around 6-7 days to the address mentioned in the work permit but since you had mail forwarding so am curious to know the extra days it took. I am also in the similar situation.
Many thanks!

nauman25

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Thanks limits.

Just a quick question - How many days more it took for the CIC mail to reach to your new address (the one you forwarded with Canada post)? Generally, the trend is around 6-7 days to the address mentioned in the work permit but since you had mail forwarding so am curious to know the extra days it took. I am also in the similar situation.
Many thanks!
my WP approved on 22 may, still didnt get Woek permit in hard form, called CIC they said they have mailed it on 22 may? guide me what to do

gagansekhon

Star Member
Jul 3, 2019

Hii there
How long it took to forward to the new address
I am in the same boat

Hparsa

Feb 12, 2020
Hello
I got my approval for work permit on 4 February but until now no physical copy!! How long does it take to mail that to me ?

gagansekhon

Star Member
Jul 3, 2019
You
Hello
I got my approval for work permit on 4 February but until now no physical copy!! How long does it take to mail that to me ?
You will get it by 20 feb
Sometimes it takes a little long
Did you provide them the right address??

Hparsa

Feb 12, 2020
Actually, they have the wrong address but I am checking with that address every day still now news I hope I will get that by 20 Feb

Hparsa

Feb 12, 2020
No, it exists it's a hotel I am calling Reception every day and they have my number also but until now they have not received anything