+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Applications at NYC for 2013

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
Does anyone have an understanding if this tempo of processing is due to the strike or is this the regular speed at which they work? It seems that something happened in the last few months that screwed their system and now they just accumulate delays, otherwise I don't understand how they managed to get an average time of 2 months that is advertised on their site.

sealy

Jun 21, 2013
brahem said:
Does anyone have an understanding if this tempo of processing is due to the strike or is this the regular speed at which they work? It seems that something happened in the last few months that screwed their system and now they just accumulate delays, otherwise I don't understand how they managed to get an average time of 2 months that is advertised on their site.
The 2 months statistics is for the past year with perhaps some questionable method of measurement. Basically CIC went through a series changes in the processing procedure starting January 2013, which slowed down everything: call it reform for the worse. Therefore, the new slowed-down statistics is not quite in the sum yet.

scorpion181181

Star Member
Jun 17, 2013
Luisaviolin said:
@ sealy I applied by mail on April 10th. Almost 3 months ago!
@Luisaviolin ,
Hi did you got any mails from CIC NY office ?
or have you inquired any time ?

Did you got any file number/ref. number for querie ?

Thanks a lot,

Luisaviolin

May 20, 2013
scorpion181181 said:
@ Luisaviolin ,
Hi did you got any mails from CIC NY office ?
or have you inquired any time ?

Did you got any file number/ref. number for querie ?

Thanks a lot,
You have to use the "case specific enquiry" tool on their website, unfortunately i cant post the link here

They will ask some details as name, date of birth. They will reply about your case in less than a week. They will also add a number for your case, something like W12345567

Feb25

Apr 26, 2013
Folks .. From my experience, untill June 2013 it was 90 day for processing application and then 10 day to send the passport back. For me it took 101 day to get passport back after application filed ( ICT, TWP, No Medical ). It could have delayed again now, and can expect upto 120 day for the complete processing now.

scorpion181181

Star Member
Jun 17, 2013
Luisaviolin said:
You have to use the "case specific enquiry" tool on their website, unfortunately i cant post the link here

They will ask some details as name, date of birth. They will reply about your case in less than a week. They will also add a number for your case, something like W12345567
Thank you very much dear,
It is asking for Identification type and Identification number which I do not have.
How can I get the number W12345567???
will they send via mail/ email ?

Thanks,

Luisaviolin

May 20, 2013
scorpion181181 said:
Thank you very much dear,
It is asking for Identification type and Identification number which I do not have.
How can I get the number W12345567???
will they send via mail/ email ?

Thanks,
Yes, i didnt know mine until they replied on an email with it. Work permit applications dont have the option to be checked online, the only thing you can get is a response from them telling you what date they are processing right now, nothing really "specific" about your case....

GML25MAR

May 19, 2013
alpha2007 said:
GML25MAR - Did you heard back anything yet?
Its one week now they have been processing March 25th
Hi guys !I didn't hear anything,so I'm so disappointed....I don't know for how long they gonna procces Marh 25.I sent them enquiry about my status 3 days a go but they don't answer back.

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
I don't think this has anything to do with competence, clearly it's the result of the strike... so the responsibility is entirely on their foreign ministry who keep their eyes closed in front of the situation. Unfortunately, as foreigners, there is not much we can do about it....

Jun 6, 2013
My experience has been total incompetence and ineptitude. The CBSA home office gave me information how to do it at the border (as a US citizen seeking open work permit because my spouse is a student at a Canadian university), only to be met with obstinacy by a border agent, who dismissed information from her agency. She gave me phone numbers to call to the Consulate in Detroit, and I explained to her that I had called them, and the Detroit Consulate had been closed since January 2012. She told me I should have called the border and spoken to an agent, and I told her there is no option to speak to an agent. She told me there was, and another agent told her there is no way an agent can speak to anyone by phone at the border. She told me to contact NY Consulate, which I had already done, indicating she was in error. She told me to apply to the Consulate in New York. I contacted them via email, and they emailed a checklist of documents for me to include, only to have the entire application returned to me 2 weeks later because the checklist they submitted to me was incorrect. When I initially sought a status update on my application, I received an update on it a couple of days later, only to receive an email the next morning indicating that I had not submitted an application to the New York Consulate.

I filed a complaint with the border agent, and was told by the investigating agent that I was correct in going to the border, and that the officer would be retrained; and that everything should have been ok.

My experience, as you can see, has simply been incompetence.

Jun 6, 2013
Forgot the "best" part of the border agent. She told me to sign an application, certifying under oath and criminal penalties, that I was residing in Canada, and mail it to the Vegerville office for processing. Had I done that, I would have committed a Canadian federal crime, which also alarmed the home office of CBSA.

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
OK, clearly that is screwed up... but I think most of other cases (mine included) are more straightforward and would get resolved quickly, provided they worked at normal capacity.

I am just afraid that our posts here do not serve any other purpose than our own therapeutic purposes... It would be helpful to collect these experiences and have them posted somewhere with higher visibility... I am not sure that many people visit this forum after all. I see that the consulate in NY has a facebook page... maybe posting there would have higher impact.