+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit and TRP

Tolu123

Jan 6, 2022
Hello please I’m an international study that came to Canada in 2018, I attended school for a year and after that wasn’t able to pay my fees anymore, so I decided to see a lawyer help me with options to remain in Canada and also get my PR … we decided on H&C grounds …. I still have a valid study/work permit that expires in April. And also I have applied of an open work permit in December 2021… the question is if I get Approved for a work permit, do I still need a TRP or do I need to apply for it along side the work permit

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello please I’m an international study that came to Canada in 2018, I attended school for a year and after that wasn’t able to pay my fees anymore, so I decided to see a lawyer help me with options to remain in Canada and also get my PR … we decided on H&C grounds …. I still have a valid study/work permit that expires in April. And also I have applied of an open work permit in December 2021… the question is if I get Approved for a work permit, do I still need a TRP or do I need to apply for it along side the work permit
Your study permit / work permit are no longer valid and you're in Canada without status for quite some time now. Once you stop attending school, your study permit is automatically canceled.

When did you apply for H&C? Do you have first stage approval?

On what basis did you apply for the OWP?

You should not need the TRP if the OWP is approved.

Tolu123

Jan 6, 2022
Your study permit / work permit are no longer valid and you're in Canada without status for quite some time now. Once you stop attending school, your study permit is automatically canceled.

When did you apply for H&C? Do you have first stage approval?

On what basis did you apply for the OWP?

You should not need the TRP if the OWP is approved.
I attended school last year July so I don’t think my study permit as being cancelled

I haven’t applied yet.
But my lawyer did apply for a OWP on the grounds that I will apply for a TRP also a PR through H&C

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I attended school last year July so I don’t think my study permit as being cancelled

I haven’t applied yet.
But my lawyer did apply for a OWP on the grounds that I will apply for a TRP also a PR through H&C
Your first post said that you came in 2018 and attended for a year, I went by that.

Still a good chance your study permit has been canceled. The school is required to report you to IRCC if you stop attending / drop out. Did you take an official leave with approval from the school or just drop out? IRCC generally cancels study permits once you've stopped attending school for three months.

You can't apply for an OWP based on H&C until you have first stage approval. If you don't have first stage approval yet, the OWP won't be approved based on the H&C application.

For an OWP based on a TRP, the TRP needs to be approved to get to the OWP.

So long story short, if you don't have first stage approval yet for the H&C application and you only applied recently, then you need to get the TRP approved to get the OWP. To the TRP is in fact important in that case.