+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit after BC PNP

Darioneer

Jan 12, 2021
Hello everyone,

I am opening this thread to share doubts and answers when applying for a Work Permit by using the BC PNP work permit supporting letter.

The first thing you must do is to start a Work Permit application from your EE Account (Click on "Apply to come to Canada"). You will be asked to answer a group of questions from where you will obtain a document checklist to apply later. Many doubts came out and I summarize them next:

First:
How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Answer: Temporarily for more than 6 months (Since now you are applying for work permit and no for PR. PR application is independent). If you choose "Permanently", then you will be directed to Express Entry Application, which is not what we want at this step.

Second:
I have a job offer and my employer gave me an offer of employment number or LMIA number (or proof of that your employer applied for an LMIA).
Answer: Yes (Make sure you receive the Offer of Employment Number).

Third:
What type of work permit do you want to apply for?
Answer: Exemption from Labour Market Impact Assessment (from the drop-down menu)
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2c&q3_options=2c_iii

Fourth:
Do you want to submit an application for a family member?
Answer: Yes (because we will try to get visa and work permit for our spouse (for example).

Fifith:
Why is your family member visiting Canada?
Answer: Work with an Open Work Permit (This is what I am applying for). You could also consider choosing "Visit-All other types" but your spouse will not be able to work.
Open work permit if you're a family member of someone working or studying temporarily in Canada.

Note: Here my concern is/was whether my wife was able to apply for a work permit along with my work permit application or it was only going to be possible after I start working, in which case I was supposed to consider her Visitor Visa in the meantime.

Hope you find useful this information. Will keep you updated.

Bye.

IkoLove

Dec 27, 2020
Hi did you figured out with your wife?

Is it possible to apply by yourself and after you land in Canada after several months apply to wife open work permit .

Darioneer

Jan 12, 2021
Hi did you figured out with your wife?

Is it possible to apply by yourself and after you land in Canada after several months apply to wife open work permit .
Yes it's possible but you can also apply for a permit for her along with yours.

Darioneer

Jan 12, 2021
Cool. But if she will not fly right away with me she don't need get medical? Only when she decide to fly ( after me)?
If you will include her in your application you will need her medical. If she will apply later on her own, then she may get medical later.

ffn_343

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am opening this thread to share doubts and answers when applying for a Work Permit by using the BC PNP work permit supporting letter.

The first thing you must do is to start a Work Permit application from your EE Account (Click on "Apply to come to Canada"). You will be asked to answer a group of questions from where you will obtain a document checklist to apply later. Many doubts came out and I summarize them next:

First:
Answer: Temporarily for more than 6 months (Since now you are applying for work permit and no for PR. PR application is independent). If you choose "Permanently", then you will be directed to Express Entry Application, which is not what we want at this step.

Second:
I have a job offer and my employer gave me an offer of employment number or LMIA number (or proof of that your employer applied for an LMIA).

Third:
Answer: Exemption from Labour Market Impact Assessment (from the drop-down menu)
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2c&q3_options=2c_iii

Fourth:
Answer: Yes (because we will try to get visa and work permit for our spouse (for example).

Fifith:
Answer: Work with an Open Work Permit (This is what I am applying for). You could also consider choosing "Visit-All other types" but your spouse will not be able to work.
Open work permit if you're a family member of someone working or studying temporarily in Canada.

Note: Here my concern is/was whether my wife was able to apply for a work permit along with my work permit application or it was only going to be possible after I start working, in which case I was supposed to consider her Visitor Visa in the meantime.

Bye.
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this useful info. I was wondering if you can help with my questions please;

I'm on a student visa and just received the BCPNP nomination. My study permit and student visa expires on Aug 1st 2021.

1) Should I wait until I get the ITA for IRCC and submit my documents for my EE application? (There would be a draw in a week)
In this way, I'll be in implied status and still able to work with my current study permit until a decision made on my EE application.

2) Or I apply for the work permit with the Work Permit support letter, wait until I get the ITA from IRCC, submit my application and wait for the decision on my EE application?

Which one would you recommend?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Darioneer

Jan 12, 2021
Hi there. You must know both processes are independent, so while you wait your ITA and PR process you have to find the best way to keep yourself working. As you explained, I don't see any problem with working with your study permit. On the other hand, make sure the work permit supporting letter will allow you to obtain a OPEN work permit.

I would make the decision based on the number of hours you would be allowed to work.

Reactions: ffn_343

ffn_343

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019
Hi there. You must know both processes are independent, so while you wait your ITA and PR process you have to find the best way to keep yourself working. As you explained, I don't see any problem with working with your study permit. On the other hand, make sure the work permit supporting letter will allow you to obtain a OPEN work permit.

I would make the decision based on the number of hours you would be allowed to work.
Thanks for your input.

The BCPNP nomination I got is under skilled worker so it's employer specific mentioning my employer needs to hire me urgently. I guess I go parallel :D

Did your employer signed up for the Employer Portal to pay the "Employer Compliance fee"? How did that take to process?

How long did it take you to get the work permit through the BCPNP support letter?

Last edited:

Darioneer

Jan 12, 2021
Thanks for your input.

The BCPNP nomination I got is under skilled worker so it's employer specific mentioning my employer needs to hire me urgently. I guess I go parallel :D

Did your employer signed up for the Employer Portal to pay the "Employer Compliance fee"? How did that take to process?

How long did it take you to get the work permit through the BCPNP support letter?

The time to get tue work permit is independant from the BCPNP process, time varies from 2 to many weeks.

fxseven

Oct 29, 2018
Hello everyone,

First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

Fifith:

Bye.
Thank you so much Darioneer, this is really useful.
I really appreciate it!
Btw I am applying my work permit by online, I have question in "Supporting Documents" section:
"Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered (required)" i work as an inventory control supervisor as doesn't need any licence or certification, what should I upload for this one?

Please advise and thank you.

Darioneer

Jan 12, 2021
Thank you so much Darioneer, this is really useful.
I really appreciate it!
Btw I am applying my work permit by online, I have question in "Supporting Documents" section:
"Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered (required)" i work as an inventory control supervisor as doesn't need any licence or certification, what should I upload for this one?

Please advise and thank you.

Hello there!

I am not sure we got the same document list. In my case, I was asked literally to provide:

"Copy of education and training certificates. If your job offer requires certification or registration, please upload here as well".

For the aforementioned, I provided copies of my education certificates (degrees). In my case, no license or further certification was required.

To prove you meet the requirements of the Job Being Offered you may think gathering documents such as:
-Previous job contracts
-Former job reference letters
-Education certificates or degrees

Once you obtained those documents, please write an Explanation Letter to the BCPNP officer and attached all supporting documents in only one PDF File.

Let me know if I can help further.

Best luck!

Darioneer

Jan 12, 2021
Hello everyone,

First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

Fifith:

Bye.

Hello adventurers,

After obtaining my BCPNP, I still have a few things I would like to share with everyone applying for the nomination. Here I share the difficulties I encountered and how I solved them:

1. Copy of evidence of recruitment (if applicable)

My concern was
: How to provide effective and sufficient proof of recruitment efforts made by my employer?

This topic was very confusing for me. With no help, I remember getting very confused after reading explanations from BCPNP Guide (you can download it from BCWebsite).

Solution: I took screenshots from my Indeed account where I found the job advertisement plus proof of my application through this website. Along with this, my employer provided me with Evidence of Intranet/Corporate postings (basically a PDF Screenshot where they show the advertised job offer on their website). Finally, I also added the Employer Recommendation letter where I highlighted a paragraph indicating why I was selected as the ideal candidate. All together with a Letter of Explanation (LOE) was enough to prove recruitment efforts.

Note: The more important information regarding this issue is provided by the employer directly to BCGovernment on the Job Offer Form. So you should not worry so much.

2. Copy of the Certificate of Incorporation

My concern was
: My company does not have a Certificate of Incorporation. Instead, they provided me with a Certificate of Amalgamation.

Solution: No too much to do here. In my case, the employer represented a less common type of company where different companies, with a specific incorporation number each, merged into only one big business in a process known as amalgamation. So I presented this certificate provided by the employer and end of the story.

3. Copy of the valid Municipal Business Licence

My concern was
: Okay, the company that wants to hire me is located out of the city. How can then obtain a municipal license?

Solution: I wrote an email to the company representative asking for such document and I obtained an answer indicating they have no municipality and they were not sure if I was going to require that. Then, I used a copy of the representative email and wrote another Letter of Explanation telling the officer about my best efforts to obtain the required document, informing them that no Municipal Business Certificate was available.

The result? Accepted!

4. Employer Recommendation letter / Copy of the offer of employment / Detailed job description / Company information

My concern was
: Well... I basically obtained all the above information correctly... but in only one ducument: The Recommedation Letter. How I was going to split it into different attachments?

Solution: I became very creative. I copy the Recommendation Letter FOUR TIMES and I highlighted the paragraphs with the required information in each copy. Then, I attached them to Explanation Letters and were all accepted.

I hope you find this information useful. I do not want others to have the same problems I had so I did write this thread.

Bless you!

fxseven

Oct 29, 2018
Hello there!

I am not sure we got the same document list. In my case, I was asked literally to provide:

"Copy of education and training certificates. If your job offer requires certification or registration, please upload here as well".

For the aforementioned, I provided copies of my education certificates (degrees). In my case, no license or further certification was required.

To prove you meet the requirements of the Job Being Offered you may think gathering documents such as:
-Previous job contracts
-Former job reference letters
-Education certificates or degrees

Once you obtained those documents, please write an Explanation Letter to the BCPNP officer and attached all supporting documents in only one PDF File.

Let me know if I can help further.

Best luck!
Thanks for your reply Darioneer.
I see. I just wondering in which point of my questioners made me got that's supporting documents request :|
But great for you they asked your copy education or training only :)
Thanks for your suggestion about LOE and some documents to cover that point.

Have you submit your PR application?
I was confuse which one should I do first (submit my PR application or work permit) I am assuming from your cic link, I may able to apply my work permit first, is that right? As my work permit will end soon in 2 weeks :(
And I still wait monday to get point number 2 (i need to ask my employer about the offer of employment number) I have no idea if they already have it or not (If u don't mind, may i know long the process your employer got the offer of employment number?). But I already got my work permit supporting letter from BC PNP around last week.
And I got stuck when I filled my IMM 5710 about option: Exemption from LMIA and I didn't no what should I fill on point 6 (LMIA exempt number)- this was the reason i found your post :)

For my PR application I should apply by paper based (non express entry) since mine is by SI-skileed worker, any suggestion should I apply by mail or by their new website for pnp?

Please advise!

Thank you.

Darioneer

Jan 12, 2021
Thanks for your reply Darioneer.
I see. I just wondering in which point of my questioners made me got that's supporting documents request :|
But great for you they asked your copy education or training only :)
Thanks for your suggestion about LOE and some documents to cover that point.

Have you submit your PR application?
I was confuse which one should I do first (submit my PR application or work permit) I am assuming from your cic link, I may able to apply my work permit first, is that right? As my work permit will end soon in 2 weeks :(
And I still wait monday to get point number 2 (i need to ask my employer about the offer of employment number) I have no idea if they already have it or not (If u don't mind, may i know long the process your employer got the offer of employment number?). But I already got my work permit supporting letter from BC PNP around last week.
And I got stuck when I filled my IMM 5710 about option: Exemption from LMIA and I didn't no what should I fill on point 6 (LMIA exempt number)- this was the reason i found your post :)

For my PR application I should apply by paper based (non express entry) since mine is by SI-skileed worker, any suggestion should I apply by mail or by their new website for pnp?

Please advise!

Thank you.

Consider both PR and WP processes are independant so you can apply to both of them. In my case, my employer had some issues with the Employer Portal, it's taking more than 5 weeks and hopefully this next week they will make it work. If you are LMIA exempted then you have to provide that number when your employer creates a Electronic Offer of Employment through the Employer Portal.

About your PR application, I guess you may go for paper based since your nominations was obtained under SI-Skilled Worker and not under EEBC program.

fxseven

Oct 29, 2018
Consider both PR and WP processes are independant so you can apply to both of them. In my case, my employer had some issues with the Employer Portal, it's taking more than 5 weeks and hopefully this next week they will make it work. If you are LMIA exempted then you have to provide that number when your employer creates a Electronic Offer of Employment through the Employer Portal.

About your PR application, I guess you may go for paper based since your nominations was obtained under SI-Skilled Worker and not under EEBC program.
Thanks Darioneer.
You're so helpful.