+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work over 20 hours

bm6695

Aug 22, 2017
Hi,

I happened to work 2 - 3 weeks over 20 hours which were roughly 20.5, 21. They were not continous weeks though , but they were when I was in full time at school. What are the consequences. Two of those weeks were in June and one week was last week. Will it be a problem? I will make sure all shifts are below 20 hours. Also, how is the week period checked? Is it monday to monday or Saturday to Saturday?

Thanks,

Nov 4, 2017
They give you 20 hours/week to work because your main objective in Canada is to study not work. If you worked more than 20H one time or another is not bad, don't worry. I worked 2 weeks in a row 26h by mistake (paid in cheque) and I'll declare this amount. If you apply for your PR in the future they may see that you declared your tax properly and this can be good for you. Declare all your earns. They will also see if you spend money in the country, and honestly, your profile counts a lot. If in a year you always worked more than 20hrs that can be a problem, but I think if you worked sometimes is not a problem. Other thing is if you are earning something that is not proportional to what you doing (being a dishwasher and earning 5.000 in a month for example). This is suspicious. So, don't worry, but don't hide anything.

aman6699

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Hi,

I happened to work 2 - 3 weeks over 20 hours which were roughly 20.5, 21. They were not continous weeks though , but they were when I was in full time at school. What are the consequences. Two of those weeks were in June and one week was last week. Will it be a problem? I will make sure all shifts are below 20 hours. Also, how is the week period checked? Is it monday to monday or Saturday to Saturday?

Thanks,
dnt worry but dnt work more than 25 hours consistently....

lilly93.

May 18, 2021
Hey! I'm really panicking now and i DON'T know what to do!
basically, i have made clear to my manager that i can only work 20 hours per week and he has also a proof sent to the Human resource that i can only work 20 hours per week.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT today I had a gut feeling to check my scheduled hours for jan, feb and march and some weeks I had 20.45 per week 20.31 and i HAVE ONE PARTICULAR WEEK THAT I WORKED 22 HOURS !!! I didn't pay attention to it as obviously i trusted the company i worked it and 2 hours won't feel much of a difference !

now what should I do? am i in trouble? is this gonna affect my pgwp and pr application? im seriously panicking it has been more than five hours talking to lawyer and hoping to find some answers! what shall i do to correct this? i really want to report the company tbh as I have an employement letter and an email stating clear i can't work more than 20 hours but ircc can obviously say it is your responsibiltiy and you should have checked.

rogerdude1

Apr 24, 2021
Hey! I'm really panicking now and i DON'T know what to do!
basically, i have made clear to my manager that i can only work 20 hours per week and he has also a proof sent to the Human resource that i can only work 20 hours per week.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT today I had a gut feeling to check my scheduled hours for jan, feb and march and some weeks I had 20.45 per week 20.31 and i HAVE ONE PARTICULAR WEEK THAT I WORKED 22 HOURS !!! I didn't pay attention to it as obviously i trusted the company i worked it and 2 hours won't feel much of a difference !

now what should I do? am i in trouble? is this gonna affect my pgwp and pr application? im seriously panicking it has been more than five hours talking to lawyer and hoping to find some answers! what shall i do to correct this? i really want to report the company tbh as I have an employement letter and an email stating clear i can't work more than 20 hours but ircc can obviously say it is your responsibiltiy and you should have checked.
Was that a problem then? You got pgwp?