+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience

Kiranarora

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
Hello guys.
Hope u r good. I am very tensed. I need help.
I start full time job from 16 march 2020 after two weeks from 30 march i got layoff from my company bcz of covid 19. But my company is still open.
My questions
1) Is this time period(layoff time) wil be countable in my work experience for express entry.
2) last year i work on cash. I dont have any proof i eared $5000 as their condition for an emergency response benefit.
So can i apply for EI or Emergency response benefit . As i need money.

Please help me out.
Thanks.

dipen135

Jun 15, 2019
Category........
CEC
Hi,
Below is the reply i got form IRCC. So far they have not made any exemption.

To: Question-DoNotReply-NePasRepondre@cic.gc.ca
Subject: In Canada Case Specific Enquiry - Permanent Residence (applied online) - Express Entry
Enquiry:
I have been temporarily laid off for at least 2 weeks due to corona virus shutdown of the company and i have only 1 month of work experience remaining before i can apply for express entry. So, my question is should i be counting the work experience during my temporary lay off or not?

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

You will find below useful information that we hope will help understand the work experience required for Express Entry (EE).

One of the eligibility requirements for EE is your skilled work experience.

The following table gives a brief overview of the skilled work experience required for each federal economic immigration programs:

Federal Skilled Worker ProgramHave a work experience*:
  • Of at least one year of continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time**,
  • At skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC),
  • In the same type of job as your primary NOC,
  • Within the last 10 years,
  • Paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships, etc., do not count).
Federal Skilled Trades ProgramHave a work experience*:
  • Of at least two years full-time or an equal amount of part-time hours**,
  • In a skilled trade,
  • Within the five years before you apply,
  • That meets the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification, and
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.
Canadian Experience ClassHave a skilled work experience* in Canada:
  • Of at least 12 months full-time (30 hours of paid work per week or more), or an equal amount in part-time hours**,
  • In the three years before you apply,
  • According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:
    • managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0),
    • professional jobs (NOC skill type A),
    • technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B).
*Work experience in Canada is not counted if you were:
  • Studying full-time while you were working,
  • Self-employed, or
  • Not legally allowed to work in Canada.
**To qualify for the full-time work experience, or for the equal amount of part-time, here is how it is calculated:
  • Full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours).
  • Equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours).
  • Full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours).
For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.
Please note that the work experience must be acquired over a period of
at least one year, work in excess of 30 hours/37.5 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience.
For more information on the work experience, we invite you to consult the ministerial instructions respecting the Express Entry system.

Furthermore, the Government of Canada is closely monitoring the new coronavirus (COVID-19) and its impact on IRCC clients. On March 20, 2020, the Government of Canada provided updates on exemptions to travel restrictions in place to stop the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and protect the health and safety of Canadians.

Exemptions to the air travel restrictions will apply to foreign nationals who have already committed to working, studying or making Canada their home, and travel by these individuals will be considered essential travel for land border restrictions.

We invite you to consult the How COVID-19 is affecting business at IRCC page to answer your most common questions about travel restrictions and exemptions.

We understand that these measures will affect several IRCC clients. Please be assured that we continue to closely monitor the situation and provide you with the most current information as the situation evolves.

For more information on the situation and to receive up-to-date information, we invite you to verify our website.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Giancarlo, agent 4301
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hello guys.
I start full time job from 16 march 2020 after two weeks from 30 march i got layoff from my company bcz of covid 19. But my company is still open.
My questions
1) Is this time period(layoff time) wil be countable in my work experience for express entry.
2) last year i work on cash. I dont have any proof i eared $5000 as their condition for an emergency response benefit.

Please help me out.
Thanks.
1. Of course not, If you don't work how can you expect to claim this as work experience? Solid NO.
2. I don't think you'd qualify, as a foreign national for the 2000 $/month benefit, these are only for Permanent Residents and Citizens.

Oswin-Pond

Mar 28, 2020
1. Of course not, If you don't work how can you expect to claim this as work experience? Solid NO.
2. I don't think you'd qualify, as a foreign national for the 2000 $/month benefit, these are only for Permanent Residents and Citizens.
No, apparently foreign with a work permit are going to get it as well.

The eligibility criteria relate to workers resident in Canada. Workers who are not citizens or permanent residents, including temporary foreign workers and international students, may be eligible to receive the benefit if they stop working for reasons related to COVID-19 and meet the other eligibility criteria.

Kiranarora

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
Hi,
Below is the reply i got form IRCC. So far they have not made any exemption.

To: Question-DoNotReply-NePasRepondre@cic.gc.ca
Subject: In Canada Case Specific Enquiry - Permanent Residence (applied online) - Express Entry
Enquiry:
I have been temporarily laid off for at least 2 weeks due to corona virus shutdown of the company and i have only 1 month of work experience remaining before i can apply for express entry. So, my question is should i be counting the work experience during my temporary lay off or not?

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

You will find below useful information that we hope will help understand the work experience required for Express Entry (EE).

One of the eligibility requirements for EE is your skilled work experience.

The following table gives a brief overview of the skilled work experience required for each federal economic immigration programs:

Federal Skilled Worker ProgramHave a work experience*:
  • Of at least one year of continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time**,
  • At skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC),
  • In the same type of job as your primary NOC,
  • Within the last 10 years,
  • Paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships, etc., do not count).
Federal Skilled Trades ProgramHave a work experience*:
  • Of at least two years full-time or an equal amount of part-time hours**,
  • In a skilled trade,
  • Within the five years before you apply,
  • That meets the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification, and
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.
Canadian Experience ClassHave a skilled work experience* in Canada:
  • Of at least 12 months full-time (30 hours of paid work per week or more), or an equal amount in part-time hours**,
  • In the three years before you apply,
  • According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:
    • managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0),
    • professional jobs (NOC skill type A),
    • technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B).
*Work experience in Canada is not counted if you were:
  • Studying full-time while you were working,
  • Self-employed, or
  • Not legally allowed to work in Canada.
**To qualify for the full-time work experience, or for the equal amount of part-time, here is how it is calculated:
  • Full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours).
  • Equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours).
  • Full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours).
For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.
Please note that the work experience must be acquired over a period of
at least one year, work in excess of 30 hours/37.5 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience.
For more information on the work experience, we invite you to consult the ministerial instructions respecting the Express Entry system.

Furthermore, the Government of Canada is closely monitoring the new coronavirus (COVID-19) and its impact on IRCC clients. On March 20, 2020, the Government of Canada provided updates on exemptions to travel restrictions in place to stop the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and protect the health and safety of Canadians.

Exemptions to the air travel restrictions will apply to foreign nationals who have already committed to working, studying or making Canada their home, and travel by these individuals will be considered essential travel for land border restrictions.

We invite you to consult the How COVID-19 is affecting business at IRCC page to answer your most common questions about travel restrictions and exemptions.

We understand that these measures will affect several IRCC clients. Please be assured that we continue to closely monitor the situation and provide you with the most current information as the situation evolves.

For more information on the situation and to receive up-to-date information, we invite you to verify our website.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Giancarlo, agent 4301
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html
So we can't use this period in our work experience until company pay us for this period.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello guys.
My questions

Please help me out.
Thanks.
1) Based on information available so far, no this time will not be counted as work experience since you aren't working.
2) You don't qualify for EI. For CERB, you must have earned $5,000 in the last 12 months. The full details aren't available yet however I suspect cash earnings will not count. Generally speaking, work done under the table / for cash does not qualify you for government assistance programs since you haven't paid taxes on the income you have earned. Anyway, right now the detailed rules aren't available yet. So you'll have to wait and see.

cybertruck

Jan 6, 2020
First of all, I would like to thank senior members and everyone to help aspiring immigrants in this forum. I have some questions about work employment duration and dates if anyone can really help me please:

1- Based on blow employment duration, can i claim for 10 years of work experience in SINP or Federal EE application?
2- There is a gap from 2011-06-30 till 2011-07-17 for 17 days, can this be acceptable as employer was changed ?
3- Here in UAE, we have a system where actual joining date is different from work permit or visa stamp on the passport. So which dates shall I enter on SINP and Federal EE application ? As you can clearly see in first company visa was stamped almost one month after joining. and the same visa was cancelled almost 3 weeks after joining new company.
4-Which dates I should use in SINP or Federal EE application? Joining dates or work visa stamp dates ?

I am truly thankful for all your help in this regards. Thank you

From (Joining date)ToFrom (Visa date)Visa ToJob titleFour digit NOC code
2011-07-17 (joining)Present2011-10-13 (stamped)ValidSoftware Manager2174 - Computer programmers and interactive media developers
2008-07-28 (joining)2011-06-30 (last day)2008-08-28 (stamped)2011-08-09 (cancelled)Software Developer2174 - Computer programmers and interactive media developers

From (Joining date) are based on actual date of joining and last date of work.
Visa date refers to the work permit or visa sticker stamped on passport.

cybertruck

Jan 6, 2020
First of all, I would like to thank senior members and everyone to help aspiring immigrants in this forum. I have some questions about work employment duration and dates if anyone can really help me please:

1- Based on blow employment duration, can i claim for 10 years of work experience in SINP or Federal EE application?
2- There is a gap from 2011-06-30 till 2011-07-17 for 17 days, can this be acceptable as employer was changed ?
3- Here in UAE, we have a system where actual joining date is different from work permit or visa stamp on the passport. So which dates shall I enter on SINP and Federal EE application ? As you can clearly see in first company visa was stamped almost one month after joining. and the same visa was cancelled almost 3 weeks after joining new company.
4-Which dates I should use in SINP or Federal EE application? Joining dates or work visa stamp dates ?

I am truly thankful for all your help in this regards. Thank you

From (Joining date)ToFrom (Visa date)Visa ToJob titleFour digit NOC code
2011-07-17 (joining)Present2011-10-13 (stamped)ValidSoftware Manager2174 - Computer programmers and interactive media developers
2008-07-28 (joining)2011-06-30 (last day)2008-08-28 (stamped)2011-08-09 (cancelled)Software Developer2174 - Computer programmers and interactive media developers

From (Joining date) are based on actual date of joining and last date of work.
Visa date refers to the work permit or visa sticker stamped on passport.
Please seniors can someone help on this ?

shivapriyas

Mar 21, 2020
Hello guys.
My questions

Please help me out.
Thanks.
For EI, all you need 1. eligible EI hours earned through previous work 2. 5000$ paid earning last year 3. number of hours you worked recently. So you will not be eligible for EI, but you will be able to apply for CERB which gives you 2000$ per month.
Your second question, your laid off time will not be counted as work experience