+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience

Owen Takudzwa

Jun 20, 2019

Good day,

Please confirm if my 1 year experience during attachment/ internship whilst I was doing my bachelors counts when counting my work experience.

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020

Good day,

Please confirm if my 1 year experience during attachment/ internship whilst I was doing my bachelors counts when counting my work experience.
Yes it does count provided that it was paid and was done outside Canada.

Reactions: Lc4life

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020
Hello! Internships do not count unfortunately
It does my friend.Please come with the facts before responding to the query.

If you can prove it ,I will accept.

michal.svatos

Jun 26, 2019
It does my friend.Please come with the facts before responding to the query.

If you can prove it ,I will accept.
My friend, I am really sorry.
I think I misunderstood, when I submitted my profile it was specified that apprenticeships are not to be considered. If you say that it counts, great!

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020
My friend, I am really sorry.
I think I misunderstood when I submitted my profile it was specified that apprenticeships are not to be considered. If you say that it counts, great!

For FSW, if you see the ministerial instruction or eligibility for FSW, nowhere it is mentioned that we cannot claim points for an internship or apprenticeship. Also, there is no note for the work done while studying or a part of your program. The one which people see in the help center is only for CEC class not for FSW.

For FSW, your points for FSW eligibility and CRS are calculated on the basis of the following requirements-

Source - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

You must show that while working in your primary occupation you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Your skilled work experience must be:
  • in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (This means you must have been paid wages or earned a commission. Volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count.)
  • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week). You can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1-year full time (1,560 hours)
If you see, it states that unpaid internship doesn't count. This means one can count a paid one.
Also, nothing has been mentioned regarding apprenticeships too or anything like "it won't be counted if it a part of studies "

But for CEC, there is a special note saying -

Source- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

"Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (such as a co-op work term) doesn’t count under this program."

and in the ministerial instruction, the part of program or study only implies for CEC

Source - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-application-management-system.html

it says
"
Clarification — Canadian work experience
(4) Subsections 15(3) to (7) apply in respect of Canadian work experience referred to in subsection (1), with any necessary modifications.

This note is not stated in the foreign work experience 25 (1) of ministerial instructions.

Additionally, the employment requirements in the NOC are not considered for the FSW program. They are only for CEC class. A visa officer must not consider them while calculating points under FSWP.

Hope it is clear now.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Owen Takudzwa