+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience related to undergraduate degree but not graduate degree

fmomen01

Sep 5, 2018
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone was in a similar situation and how you approached this dilemma.

I have 2+ years of work experience in marketing (sort of) related to my undergraduate degree (BA) which was in International Relations and Quantitative Economics.

After working for a few years however, I went back to school for my Masters in Accounting, hoping to switch career paths. Unfortunately, I just graduated a few months ago and don't have enough paid work experience in that field yet.

I had my ECA done for both my MSc and my BA and am claiming points for both.

I am using my Marketing work experience as my primary occupation and my intended career in Canada.

To be honest, I can probably create a blended career by creating investment profiles that use both marketing and accounting skills so it is not that far fetched...but I was wondering if I will face ay issues approaching the application this way. If so, what might be some solutions?

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone was in a similar situation and how you approached this dilemma.

I have 2+ years of work experience in marketing (sort of) related to my undergraduate degree (BA) which was in International Relations and Quantitative Economics.

After working for a few years however, I went back to school for my Masters in Accounting, hoping to switch career paths. Unfortunately, I just graduated a few months ago and don't have enough paid work experience in that field yet.

I had my ECA done for both my MSc and my BA and am claiming points for both.

I am using my Marketing work experience as my primary occupation and my intended career in Canada.

To be honest, I can probably create a blended career by creating investment profiles that use both marketing and accounting skills so it is not that far fetched...but I was wondering if I will face ay issues approaching the application this way. If so, what might be some solutions?
Well it's pretty straight forward.
You just claim points for your 2+ years of work experience in the position you mentioned.
Claim points for your masters degree only, as you'll get more points with that.
And that's it... Nothing complicated at all here.

Reactions: fmomen01

fmomen01

Sep 5, 2018
Well it's pretty straight forward.
You just claim points for your 2+ years of work experience in the position you mentioned.
Claim points for your masters degree only, as you'll get more points with that.
And that's it... Nothing complicated at all here.
Even though the MSc is not at all related to my primary occupation and that which I intend to pursue in Canada?

Also, thanks for responding :)

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Even though the MSc is not at all related to my primary occupation and that which I intend to pursue in Canada?

Also, thanks for responding :)
Not a problem at all. No issue here.
Plus, I don't at all remember anywhere where they ask you for intended occupation in Canada.