+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience in different NOCs

Jul 16, 2018
Hello All,

I am confused about representation of my work experience for the Express Entry application. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My work experience profile:
1. 6 months of experience as an Associate Systems Engineer (essentially a software engineer) in 2011 in India
2. 4.5 years of experience as an Assistant Professor for Master's/Post graduate degree (Master in Computer Applications) from 2011 to 2015 in India
3. 6 months of experience as a Software Engineer in United States. I am currently working in this position and accumulating experience.

My experience is essentially across two different NOC titles. University Professor and Software Engineer. Based on research on the cic website, both areas belong to skill type/code A.

My plan, once I move to Canada, is to apply and pursue a job as a Software Engineer and NOT teaching

Questions:
1. When I fill out and submit my Express Entry profile, do I need to select a specific NOC title (University Professor or Software Engineer) or a specific NOC code (0, A, B..) to apply to?
2. If title, Am I ineligible to apply to the NOC of Software Engineer since I do not have 1 year of continuous experience as a Software Engineer
3. If I apply to the University Professor NOC (because it increases my crs score overall) and I receive an ITA and a PR (humor me here :) ), can I still apply for Software Engineer jobs once I move to Canada?

Thank you for your time and advice!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1 - Yes, you need a Primary NOC.
2 - Correct, you'd be ineligible if you pick your software engineer NOC as your Primary NOC.
3 - Yes.

Reactions: DennisNoMenace
Jul 16, 2018
1 - Yes, you need a Primary NOC.
2 - Correct, you'd be ineligible if you pick your software engineer NOC as your Primary NOC.
3 - Yes.
Thank you for your response. Just to clarify, for question# 1 - is the Primary NOC a title (Professor/software eng etc)? Or is it the NOC code (0, A, B..)?

vickyarsh

Nov 26, 2018
Hi everyone, my profile is a little confusing. I want to apply to Federal skilled worker program or OINP human capital program

I know that we need one year experience to be eligible, i do have one year experience but in different jobs as explained under:

Chemical engineer (NOC 2134, Skill level A) - 4MONTHS
Chemistry lecturer (NOC 4021, Skill level A) - 4 MONTHS
and now i am working on a PERMANENT job in canada as
Quality assurance technician (NOC 2211, Skill level B) - 4 months and continuing on job

That makes one year experience and I also have a masters degree from ontario, Canada.

I was wondering if I can apply to a FSWP or OINP Human capital stream or any other category for PR. I would appreciate anyone's help on this query

Thanks