+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience gained while studying OUTSIDE OF CANADA

chandreshjiyani

Sep 20, 2016
Your question is confusing, if you are a Canadian Experience Class candidate then you must have at least 12 months full time or equal amount part time paid work experience within last 36 months in Canada. If you claim points for foreign work experience then you will fall under Federal Skilled Worker class where you must show minimum 1 year continuous paid work experience full time or equal amount of part time. All the work experiences must be in NOC type 0, A or B.

Now to your specific query, Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (such as a co-op work term) doesn’t count under Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

The above rules are not applicable for FSWC program, means you can claim work experience points while studying full time if your study and work are OUTSIDE Canada. I have claimed Full time study and Part time work for the same period in UK. You can claim full time study and full time work for the same period if they were in India but you will be classified as FSW applicant not CEC applicant.
I have 1 year experience in canada so i am eligible to apply under CEC but i need to show my foreign work experience gained while i was studying can i get points of that experience?

And i did not show my workexperience in study permit can i show it now in CEC?

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
I have 1 year experience in canada so i am eligible to apply under CEC but i need to show my foreign work experience gained while i was studying can i get points of that experience?

And i did not show my workexperience in study permit can i show it now in CEC?
You cannot mix and match. Either you are fsw or cec. Also self employment and work experience during full time study INSIDE Canada does not count.

chandreshjiyani

Sep 20, 2016
You cannot mix and match. Either you are fsw or cec. Also self employment and work experience during full time study INSIDE Canada does not count.
although we are apply in cec we can get point of foreign experience
i am talking about that point

Ali Ak

Aug 5, 2018
Hello Everyone,
I read all the posts and I would like to ask you whether my conclusion which is all related to OUTSIDE of Canada is true or not;
I haven't been to Canada and still, I have no relation. Then I became 18 years old in 2013 and I started my part-time Webmaster job from a company which is (30 hours/per week) by taking the monthly salary in 2013 as being a high school graduate. After 1 month, I started my undergraduate education from university (which is full-time) in 2013. After 5 years I have graduated from university in 2018 and left my part-time job, so Can I demonstrate that I have 5 years full-job experience.?. Because from the Government website, a part-time job can max 30h/per week and the full-time job must be at least 30h/per week, so by doing this, no matter it is called part-time. I can claim my part-time job experience and gain points as it is full-time because of reaching 30h/per week. Am I right?
Lastly, job experiences while studying are acceptable for the people who start their job while studying bachelor degree or it is acceptable for the people who are holding at least bachelor degree and start their job while doing Master/PhD,so is there any requirement to hold at least bachelor degree to gain points from part-time jobs?

Reactions: SAMSAG6116

Ali Ak

Aug 5, 2018
Please help my friends.

Hello Everyone,
I read all the posts and I would like to ask you whether my conclusion which is all related to OUTSIDE of Canada is true or not;
I haven't been to Canada and still, I have no relation. Then I became 18 years old in 2013 and I started my part-time Webmaster job from a company which is (30 hours/per week) by taking the monthly salary in 2013 as being a high school graduate. After 1 month, I started my undergraduate education from university (which is full-time) in 2013. After 5 years I have graduated from university in 2018 and left my part-time job, so Can I demonstrate that I have 5 years full-job experience.?. Because from the Government website, a part-time job can max 30h/per week and the full-time job must be at least 30h/per week, so by doing this, no matter it is called part-time. I can claim my part-time job experience and gain points as it is full-time because of reaching 30h/per week. Am I right?
Lastly, job experiences while studying are acceptable for the people who start their job while studying bachelor degree or it is acceptable for the people who are holding at least bachelor degree and start their job while doing Master/PhD,so is there any requirement to hold at least bachelor degree to gain points from part-time jobs?

SAMSAG6116

Sep 1, 2015
Hello Everyone,
It’s all depends on what’s your employer will going to write down. If he writes your working as a full time with 30 hr/ week then it will consider as a full time experience but if he writes part time instead of full time then it will comsider as a part time experience. So in the end, everything depends on what your employer will write down in reference letter..

bubblycoke

Dec 18, 2023
From the ministerial instructions, this is all they have to say about foreign work experience:

It does not mention anything about full-time studying. The full-time study is a problem only in Canadian experience where they explicitely state it. It is only applicable for that section though.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/express-entry.asp
This really helps me a lot! Thank you very much!

The immigration law that governs the Express Entry system is the ultimate reference no matter how grumpy the verification officer is and how senior your immigration lawyer and consultant are. They all need to follow the law.

For considering eligible foreign work experience in CEC, according to the EE Ministerial Instructions, there's no restriction for whether you study full-time or part-time. In other words, whether you were studying full-time, part-time or any time, like 16 hours a day without sleeping, it is IRRELEVANT. Since there's no restriction for it, so verification officer cannot reject you based on this factor.

As @SagiCZ said, on the other hand, in CEC, there's a clear requirement for eligible Canadian working experience as below.

15. (7)(a)
a period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;

Any other suggestions tell you otherwise, suggest them to read the law. If any immigration consultant or lawyer tells you otherwise....fire them immediately.