+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience gained while studying OUTSIDE OF CANADA

SagiCZ

Jan 7, 2016
Hi,

I have been invited to apply under the CEC category and would just like to clarify one thing.

I have one year of experience in Canada - this qualifies me for CEC.
I have also one year of experience in my home country, I worked there 2 years part-time while studying, combined over 2100 hours which I can proove. It was in NOC 2174 and gained before I had my bachelor degree. - this gave me a lot of points

The second experience is valid right? I could not find any information on CIC to say otherwise but would love to hear your opinions.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
What are you asking?

So you have been invited under CEC.

You have proof that you worked in both other jobs (country doesn't matter). If you can prove what you claimed for, you're fine.

SagiCZ

Jan 7, 2016
Because some people on this message board said that if you are applying under CEC work experience gained while studying never counts.

Note, that one can not pick to apply under FSW even if he is qualified for it as well so this would be really unfair.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
SagiCZ said:
Because some people on this message board said that if you are applying under CEC work experience gained while studying never counts.

Note, that one can not pick to apply under FSW even if he is qualified for it as well so this would be really unfair.
Hang on, your CEC experience was gained while studying? Were you on a study or work visa?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Can I count work experience that was part of my education toward the work requirement?

No. Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience. They are considered part of an educational program.

The work experience you can use to apply for the Canadian Experience Class must not have been gained while studying full time on a student permit (for example, experience gained while on a co-op work term).

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Also this:

Can I count part-time work toward the work experience requirement?
You can count part-time work toward the work experience requirement, as long as you were not a full-time student at the time.

However, you must have gained the equivalent amount of experience as someone who worked full-time for at least one year (1560 hours)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=393&top=29

SagiCZ

Jan 7, 2016
No.

My CEC one-year experience was gained while NOT studying. I was on WH visa in Canada and I already had my degree.

However, my PREVIOUS work experience, for which I obtained points, was gained WHILE studying in my country OUTSIDE of Canada before I finished my degree.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
SagiCZ said:
No.

My CEC one-year experience was gained while NOT studying. I was on WH visa in Canada and I already had my degree.

However, my PREVIOUS work experience, for which I obtained points, was gained WHILE studying in my country OUTSIDE of Canada before I finished my degree.
Yea, see above, that won't count and will likely be disqualified.

Can I count part-time work toward the work experience requirement?
You can count part-time work toward the work experience requirement, as long as you were not a full-time student at the time.

However, you must have gained the equivalent amount of experience as someone who worked full-time for at least one year (1560 hours)

SagiCZ

Jan 7, 2016
But I have fulfilled the work experience requirement by my one year Canadian experience.

The previous one is just for CRS points so it would not be "work experience requirement". Just "work experience"?

God I hope it can work! Otherwise why would the system award me with the points and send me ITA?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
SagiCZ said:
But I have fulfilled the work experience requirement by my one year Canadian experience.

The previous one is just for CRS points so it would not be "work experience requirement". Just "work experience"?

God I hope it can work! Otherwise why would the system award me with the points and send me ITA?
Ok, so you have your work experience legitimate in Canada so are valid for CEC. No problem there.

However, your work experience you have claimed while studying got you points, right? so if you hand't have listed that extra work experience you would have had, for example, 440 points.

Once you added the extra work experience you were given, say, 480 points.

So you were given an ITA because of your points.

When you send your docs off the officer will see that that extra work experience does not count and will remove it. Your points will be recalculated and you will be given 440 points again. Then you will be below the cutoff and your visa will be refused.

SagiCZ

Jan 7, 2016
Yes you are explaining it correctly. I understand what are you saying. I just hope they would still count that work experience.

Should I maybe try to switch my education from full-time to part-time?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
No, dude, that won't matter.

You got your work experience in a part time or full time job.

You can't change your education as they can easily check it as you have had your degree converted and it says on your degree it was full time.

Essentially, you are either going to be lucky and get an unobservant officer, or, more likely, you will be refused.

SagiCZ

Jan 7, 2016
Shit.

I think I will just give it a shot I am way to invested in this to back out now. I am still hoping that getting points for work experience is not the same as "work experience requirement", but that's probably a mistake.

I also don't understand why it should be fine for FSW and not CEC. This is what I found from one of the members here:
We had basically this exact same thread yesterday, and the answer has not changed since then.
If you are applying for CEC, this work experience does not count.
If you are not applying for CEC, this work experience does not count if it was accrued in Canada.
If you are not applying for CEC, this work experience counts as long as it was accrued anywhere but Canada.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
SagiCZ said:
*censored word*.

I think I will just give it a shot I am way to invested in this to back out now. I am still hoping that getting points for work experience is not the same as "work experience requirement", but that's probably a mistake.

I also don't understand why it should be fine for FSW and not CEC. This is what I found from one of the members here:
You're reading tis wrong.

Claiming work experience points while studying is not allowed for FSW or CEC.

SagiCZ

Jan 7, 2016
1. No work experience gained while being a full time student in Canada can be counted. No points for those. Only exception to this is NOC 4012.

2. Paid NOC 0/A/B work experience acquired within the last 10 years while being a full time student OUTSIDE of Canada can be counted towards CRS points for foreign work experience and/or FSW eligibility points. Of course, this has to be supported with a valid reference letter.

3. Such experience will be part time or full time depending on the number of hours worked/week in addition to full time studies. If hours/week were less than 30, they would count as such. If more than 30, it will be treated as a full time experience.
from this thread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/work-experience-while-studing-t399930.15.html