+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience for FSW

Sarthak95

May 26, 2018
Hello everyone
I have completed a course in canada and will be applying for a one year work permit. I have got my WES done got an 8 in my IELTS. There are a couple of things I wanted to clarify.

1. Work Experience
I have non Canadian work experience for almost 2 years.
The breakup is as follows

A. 3 months paid internship with one organisation followed by full time employment with the same company for 10 months. Between the paid internship and full time employment there was a gap of around 1 month. The gap was because I had to appear for my final exams in university and the understanding was that I will rejoin.

B. Joined the second organisation after 10 days of resigning from the first one. Worked for almost 9 months with this organisation.

All the above work ex is paid and full time including the internship.
Please let me know if it qualifies for the required work experience for Express Entry. It is not continuous 1 year with one organisation. Both the jobs were similar and hopefully lie in the same NOC category.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hello everyone
I have completed a course in canada and will be applying for a one year work permit. I have got my WES done got an 8 in my IELTS. There are a couple of things I wanted to clarify.

1. Work Experience

A. 3 months paid internship with one organisation followed by full time employment with the same company for 10 months. Between the paid internship and full time employment there was a gap of around 1 month. The gap was because I had to appear for my final exams in university and the understanding was that I will rejoin.

B. Joined the second organisation after 10 days of resigning from the first one. Worked for almost 9 months with this organisation.

Please let me know if it qualifies for the required work experience for Express Entry. It is not continuous 1 year with one organisation. Both the jobs were similar and hopefully lie in the same NOC category.
Any internship or coop done as part of your academic program is not considered for experience. Not having continuous experience is not a problem. So in your case it looks like you will be considered for 10+9 months

Reactions: Sarthak95

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
Any internship or coop done as part of your academic program is not considered for experience. Not having continuous experience is not a problem. So in your case it looks like you will be considered for 10+9 months
This is not correct.

Paid internships are fine. You need however at least 1 year of continuous foreign work experience under the same NOC to be eligible for FSW. Doesn't matter how many employers.

I think the gaps may be an issue.

Requirements are outlined clearly here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
This is not correct.

Paid internships are fine. You need however at least 1 year of continuous foreign work experience under the same NOC to be eligible for FSW. Doesn't matter how many employers.

I think the gaps may be an issue.

Requirements are outlined clearly here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html
Check this link for eligibility of any work experience done as part of academic program
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello everyone

1. Work Experience

The issue will be the lack of continuity. However, you may be eligible since you have 10 months + 10 days break + 9 months. The first 3 months will definitely not count because a month's break is too long. But 10 days.. that may be considered, especially if there are two weekends in there (say you quit on Friday, and started the next Monday. 10 calendar days, 5 business days).

As long as both jobs were in the same NOC, I would try it. Explain why you didn't start working immediately. For example, perhaps you had to move to a different city for the new job, or something like that. This is not misrepresentation, btw - the officer may reject your application and say you don't have work experience, but you won't be banned or anything like that. You do have 1 year+ of work ex, you just don't know how much of a break is "too much", and those rules aren't written in stone. Officers have some discretion.

Sarthak95

May 26, 2018
Thanks for the responses everyone. I called up the Canadian Immigration helpline number today. This service is available for people residing in Canada. The agent said that the work ex will be considered as 10+9 months. They usually do consider a break in between jobs for as long as 2 weeks. I will have to attach a letter of explanation to provide reasoning for the break. The real reason for the break was because I was relocating from Bangalore to Delhi and had to arrange everything.
What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and file?

Reactions: uppperkut

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks for the responses everyone. I called up the Canadian Immigration helpline number today. This service is available for people residing in Canada. The agent said that the work ex will be considered as 10+9 months. They usually do consider a break in between jobs for as long as 2 weeks. I will have to attach a letter of explanation to provide reasoning for the break. The real reason for the break was because I was relocating from Bangalore to Delhi and had to arrange everything.
What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and file?
Absolutely. That's a very reasonable explanation and there should be no trouble. Write a letter and you'll be fine.

Sarthak95

May 26, 2018
Hey Everyone,
I consulted a lawyer and he gave my conflicting views. I also called the Ircc helpline again and another agent said that it won’t be considered continuous. I am confused and not sure what I should do. Request senior members to shed some light.