+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience Calculation (FSWP EE)

seemefree

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Hello,

This question has most likely been asked before but for my peace of mind, I would really love to reconfirm if I am calculating my work experience correctly. I worked :

Part time (20 hrs/week) between April-15-2015 to July-1-2016 (63 weeks) -> 63 x 20 = 1260 Hours
Full time (over 30 hrs/week) between July-2-2016 to September-11-2016 (10 weeks) -> 10 x 30 = 300 Hours

The work was completed at the same workplace, same job title and duties (NOC B category) and continuously (Switched from part time to full time after graduating).

Can I combine the above and account it as 1 year of full time work experience to satisfy EE FSWP "eligibility" as well as "CRS points" requirements?

Thank you very much in advance kind people!

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
Hello,

This question has most likely been asked before but for my peace of mind, I would really love to reconfirm if I am calculating my work experience correctly. I worked :

Part time (20 hrs/week) between April-15-2015 to July-1-2016 (63 weeks) -> 63 x 20 = 1260 Hours
Full time (over 30 hrs/week) between July-2-2016 to September-11-2016 (10 weeks) -> 10 x 30 = 300 Hours

The work was completed at the same workplace, same job title and duties (NOC B category) and continuously (Switched from part time to full time after graduating).

Can I combine the above and account it as 1 year of full time work experience to satisfy EE FSWP "eligibility" as well as "CRS points" requirements?

Thank you very much in advance kind people!
From the looks of it, you can either claim 12-Months of Continuous Full Time Employment with minimum 30hrs/week. (1560 hours)
Or you can claim 24-Months of Continuous Part Time Employment with minimum 15hrs/week. (1560 hours)

I am not pretty sure about clubbing both the Part-Time and Full-Time Employments to make the required minimum hours of 1560. Please visit the link -> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

You can also wait for the others to have their say on the same. Good luck.

Reactions: seemefree

seemefree

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
From the looks of it, you can either claim 12-Months of Continuous Full Time Employment with minimum 30hrs/week. (1560 hours)
Or you can claim 24-Months of Continuous Part Time Employment with minimum 15hrs/week. (1560 hours)

I am not pretty sure about clubbing both the Part-Time and Full-Time Employments to make the required minimum hours of 1560. Please visit the link -> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

You can also wait for the others to have their say on the same. Good luck.
Thanks RazOr, for taking the time out to respond!

I've seen other threads here that tried to explain the calculation of mixed part time and full time work experience, to make up the 1 year required. My only concern was to put forward my personal situation and reconfirm, to make sure its acceptable for the 100 point grid system and to claim CRS points.

As I understand, anything that is at or above 30hrs/week is considered a full time week (FT) and anything that is below 30hrs/week is considered a part time week (PT).

The minimum requirement is 52 weeks (1 year/365 days) and 1560 hours - The equivalent of 1 FT working year.
If somebody is able to achieve it with an equivalent of PT work, it indicates it is acceptable too (as I understand).

So I did 63 weeks of PT work at 20 hrs/week = 1260 hrs
I am left with 300 hours. Therefore 300/30hrs = 10 weeks of FT work which I also did, immediately after, continuously, at the same job.

So from the above,
- I fulfil the 1560 hours
- I cross a minimum of at least 1 year (365 days)
- I have the equivalent of FT work (52 weeks) in over a year

Once it is clear that I can combine the experience together (since it is the same job!) and that my calculations are correct - my query here is resolved :)

Thank you very much, whoever can help confirm!

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017

I've seen other threads here that tried to explain the calculation of mixed part time and full time work experience, to make up the 1 year required. My only concern was to put forward my personal situation and reconfirm, to make sure its acceptable for the 100 point grid system and to claim CRS points.

As I understand, anything that is at or above 30hrs/week is considered a full time week (FT) and anything that is below 30hrs/week is considered a part time week (PT).

The minimum requirement is 52 weeks (1 year/365 days) and 1560 hours - The equivalent of 1 FT working year.
If somebody is able to achieve it with an equivalent of PT work, it indicates it is acceptable too (as I understand).

I am left with 300 hours. Therefore 300/30hrs = 10 weeks of FT work which I also did, immediately after, continuously, at the same job.

So from the above,

Once it is clear that I can combine the experience together (since it is the same job!) and that my calculations are correct - my query here is resolved :)

I am still uncertain about combining the FT and PT for 1-Year Continuous Work Experience. Lets wait for others to pitch in regarding this.

How about the work experience from Sept 2016 till date??? Is that in NOC Category O,A or B???

Good luck.

seemefree

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
I am still uncertain about combining the FT and PT for 1-Year Continuous Work Experience. Lets wait for others to pitch in regarding this.

How about the work experience from Sept 2016 till date??? Is that in NOC Category O,A or B???

Good luck.
The combining part was the main thing I needed to clarify. Thank you for your effort though in trying to help, I really appreciate it.

Actually, the dates you see above are placeholders, to reflect the same time periods (but not the exact dates) through which I have been working.

I am still working at this job and only just completed the 1560 hours (in the same sequence as mentioned above - PT weeks + FT weeks) and I wish to apply immediately, without waiting longer. Hence, once the combining part is clarified, I can go ahead with it.

Maybe you have some other forum members in mind that could assist clearly with this specific detail?

Thanks once again!

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017

So from the above,

@DelPiero07 & @legalfalcon - Please can you assist on the same. Thanks.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can use a combination of FT and PT experience as long as it was continuous and in your primary NOC in order to meet the eligibility criteria of the FSW program.

seemefree

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Yes, you can use a combination of FT and PT experience as long as it was continuous and in your primary NOC in order to meet the eligibility criteria of the FSW program.
Thanks a lot for clarifying that! Could you please take a few moments to confirm if my calculations are correct as well? E.g.

Full time (40 hrs/week) between July-2-2016 to September-11-2016 (10 weeks) -> 10 x 30 (Max. accountable hrs) = 300 Hours
Total = 1560 Hours

As I understand, I fulfil the min. 1560 hours, I cross the min. of 1 year (365 days) and I have the equivalent of 1 year of FT work (52 x 30). It is continuous, at the same job with the same title and duties and in my primary NOC category.

Also, when filling in my application, how should I represent this entire working period?
As PT work entirely?
or PT work between A and B dates and FT work between X and Y dates?

I believe I will need to get a work reference letter accordingly. Looking forward to your kind response!

And thanks a lot @Raz0r for referring to them!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When creating your profile you'll have to create two entries, one for the PT experience and the other for the FT experience. Once you receive an ITA there will be two placeholders for you to upload supporting documents but as long as your reference letter states both your PT and FT experience you can upload such letter in both placeholders.

Your calculation for the hours is fine, however i'm too lazy to check the calculation of the weeks worked to see if it meets the required 52 weeks.

seemefree

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
When creating your profile you'll have to create two entries, one for the PT experience and the other for the FT experience. Once you receive an ITA there will be two placeholders for you to upload supporting documents but as long as your reference letter states both your PT and FT experience you can upload such letter in both placeholders.

Your calculation for the hours is fine, however i'm too lazy to check the calculation of the weeks worked to see if it meets the required 52 weeks.
Hi again @DelPiero07!

I've finally received my IELTS report and am now finalizing the express entry application.
After clarifying the details below, all that remains is submission :)

I have created 2 entries for work as you suggested above, but my doubt is whether it will be considered as overlapping/conflicting -
I worked between 15 June 2016 and 1 Sep 2017 - Part Time (Same NOC, same job, same company)
and 2 Sep 2017 to Current - Full Time (Same NOC, same job, same company)

The Express Entry tool doesn't allow setting specific dates.
It just asks FROM Year, Month TO Year, Month

In my case, I have to put :
June 2016 to Sep 2016 - 20hrs per week
Sep 2017 to Current - 40hrs per week

I am not sure how they will automatically account the month of September 2017 on the backend of the system?

Because it just states the month as the end date for part time work, will it account September as 20hrs per week (because its lower?)
or will it account it as 30hrs a week (because it is higher) due to the start of full time work also being mentioned as September?

Or will it add both and account for 20 + 40 hours per week (and then bring it down to 30 hrs per week due to the max) and account September as full time? and if this is the case, will they expect proof of 60hrs per week for September? because this is not true.

What would you suggest? If I indicate part time as June 2016 to August 2017 and full time from September 2017 to Current, will it be considered as continuous?

Thanks a lot in advance! this is the last stop before submitting!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The overlap is irrelevant, your reference letter(s) will have the exact dates of your part-time and full-time experience so there will be no confusion, you can also write a small paragraph in your LOE regarding this. You don't have to prove 60 hrs a week or any of the sort for the month of September.

seemefree

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
The overlap is irrelevant, your reference letter(s) will have the exact dates of your part-time and full-time experience so there will be no confusion, you can also write a small paragraph in your LOE regarding this. You don't have to prove 60 hrs a week or any of the sort for the month of September.
Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Already submitted as per your above recommendation, with the overlap.
The work reference letter will mention explicit dates to clarify any unknowns.

I have already been accepted into the pool.
Looking forward to an ITA.

Have a great day mate!